Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 PM

47 posts, read 259,723 times

Advertisements

I was surprised reading that Brussels is 25% muslim! I think I've read surveys that Amsterdam and Rotterdam could one day become majority muslim!! So what's the relationship like in these countries between muslims and non-muslims? Do they interact fairly regularly? Interdating and marriage? Or is it just distant? Perhaps even hostile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:23 AM

788 posts, read 1,245,920 times
Interdating? Yeah, that'll be the day. Muslim men are allowed to date outside their religion, muslim women are not. Welcome to the religion of peace and love.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 AM

13,576 posts, read 15,555,509 times
I wonder what Charles the Hammer would say these days...

Old 08-01-2013, 04:27 AM

270 posts, read 591,545 times
I can't speak for the Netherlands, but I've lived in Belgium for quite some time. My experience is that the society was very segregated. Not because of hate or distrust, it was more like everybody just stuck to their own people. Indians lived in a different area than Afrikans, Orthodox Jews had their part of the city and there is even a small Asiatown in Antwerp. I saw a lot of Muslims, but never met a flamish person who was friends with one of them.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:37 PM

47 posts, read 259,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnylo View Post
I can't speak for the Netherlands, but I've lived in Belgium for quite some time. My experience is that the society was very segregated. Not because of hate or distrust, it was more like everybody just stuck to their own people. Indians lived in a different area than Afrikans, Orthodox Jews had their part of the city and there is even a small Asiatown in Antwerp. I saw a lot of Muslims, but never met a flamish person who was friends with one of them.
I've also heard of cases where belgian cab drivers refuse to drive muslims and that muslims are turned away from nightclubs although Im not sure how true this is.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:49 PM

2,885 posts, read 5,228,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Interdating? Yeah, that'll be the day. Muslim men are allowed to date outside their religion, muslim women are not. Welcome to the religion of peace and love.
I know some cases of Muslim women marrying Dutch (non-Muslim) men. Robin van Persie and his wife Bouchra are a notable example.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:58 PM

2,885 posts, read 5,228,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
I was surprised reading that Brussels is 25% muslim! I think I've read surveys that Amsterdam and Rotterdam could one day become majority muslim!! So what's the relationship like in these countries between muslims and non-muslims? Do they interact fairly regularly? Interdating and marriage? Or is it just distant? Perhaps even hostile?
It depends. Many Muslims are well-integrated and get along just fine with non-Muslims. I had a lot of Muslim (Turkish and Moroccan) friends growing up. Interdating and marriage happens but it's not that common, Muslims tend to marry someone from their own religion.

Unfortunately, the Muslims that get the most attention are the troublemakers (usually men between the age of 15-30).

Old 08-01-2013, 09:37 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,874,640 times
Many Muslims in Europe tend to be more religious and fundamentalist than their own home countries. Many young Muslim men are radicals, burn cars and threat people mainly in suburban ghetto areas.

Muslim men are allowed to marry people of the books (Christians and Jews) although they will force them to eventually convert to Islam. Muslim women are not allowed to marry outside their own faith.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:15 AM

205 posts, read 518,339 times
Because those muslims are Europeans, not from North Africa anymore.
They are on their third generation or even more, so they are a European byproduct.
Just like AA.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:17 AM

13,576 posts, read 15,555,509 times
Are you saying the Muslims are now genetically European because they've been living in Europe for a few generations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe