Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:47 PM

12 posts, read 57,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
like Enschede, which boosts the ugly Finnish cities' self esteem.
Thank to all for the replies so far. This quote cited above is the most pregnant with immediate significance (beyond the chiding of some inevitable others which I both shudder and relish to do) ....

However, I'm not sure what you mean there. Might you intend ironically to say "boasts"? It seems you're alluding to some fundamental cultural dimension there which distinguishes perhaps typical (by your lights) Finns from Dutch. I would be very interested to understand what exactly you mean by "Finnish cities' self esteem," and especially how this differentiates them from the "better" (in your view) of the Dutch places (if that's indeed what you meant to convey).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 04:07 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,147 times
Quote:
the language ugly
I like the way Dutch sounds, it's funny to me cause sometimes reminds me of Donald Duck.

I'm not trying to offend to Dutch speakers. Anyway, it's a great country and I really appreciate them.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:10 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
You just can't help yourself, can you?

J/K
No, sorry, Linda. We Finns are always honest, have no decency and very bad on PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrhesiastes View Post
However, I'm not sure what you mean there. Might you intend ironically to say "boasts"? It seems you're alluding to some fundamental cultural dimension there which distinguishes perhaps typical (by your lights) Finns from Dutch. I would be very interested to understand what exactly you mean by "Finnish cities' self esteem," and especially how this differentiates them from the "better" (in your view) of the Dutch places (if that's indeed what you meant to convey).
What I meant was that most post WWII cities in Finland are brutally ugly and people know it, so the fact that there's ugly cities in other countries as well, comforts us and our ugly cities.

Like Kouvola:

or Kerava:

Finnish people usually get well along with the Dutch, as they don't take themselves so seriously and have a sense of humor. The Germans like us for the weirdness factor and the Spaniards for the exotic factor, while we don't get so well along with peoples who take them too seriously, like the French, Italians, Greeks and Russians.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:33 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Ariete, about the pancakes, do you mean our famous poffertjes?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:59 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Ariete, about the pancakes, do you mean our famous poffertjes?
No, no, the crêpe style pannekoeken which can be either sweet or have bacon and onion and stuff.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
most post WWII cities in Finland are brutally ugly and people know it, so the fact that there's ugly cities in other countries as well, comforts us and our ugly cities.
Interesting. Thanks for clarifying. If you (and the people who also "know it") consider cities with an urbanscape reflected in your posted photos "brutally ugly," what is it specifically then about the contrasting Dutch cities that you admire by comparison? I'd appreciate it if you could articulate the specifics, but photos are welcome too.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:13 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Quote:
No, no, the crêpe style pannekoeken which can be either sweet or have bacon and onion and stuff.
Oh yes, they're good too. I always eat them with banana, cinnamon and powdered sugar or ham and cheese

Sorry OP, I will stop polluting your thread now

Old 08-16-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry OP, I will stop polluting your thread now
Much appreciated, but don't sell yourself short -- you're doin fine (if predictably) so far. Your posts are on my docket.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,430,206 times
My mother family hails from Zevenaar in the Gelderland province. Though we live in an overwhelming 'Anglo-Saxon-cultured nation', my grandparents made sure that we learned how to speak Dutch. This made easy for me in my trips with my parents in the early 1990's to the Netherlands, Belgium, I was able to understand when people spoke to me and was able to answer back. In Germany, many things written I was able to read or at least understand the meaning of many things. One of the things that marked my mind about the Netherlands, apart from the magnificent tulip fields, narrow roads, are the old-fashioned windmills so picturesque and so Dutch. The people at least to my knowledge seem quite friendly and ready to speak English, if they knew you were a foreigner. One thing my grandmother told me was that 'God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands.'

Old 08-16-2013, 07:41 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
At least this thread is about culture alone. If I see one more thread about haplogroups and the "Germanic" race (and the inevitable pictures of blonde-haired blue-eyed Dutch people), I will lose my mind
Tell me about it. I'm actually reading through this thread as I find it interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe