Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 PM

20 posts, read 75,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Yes but I told you its often as Individual basis, when you see a group of brits its almost always a giveaway in the rest of northern europe, specially among the Scandinavians and Dutch people, who are much more homogeneous looking and blonder/taller as a whole.
How would you make this differentiation in the 18th century, when the Scandinavians and the Dutch were not particularly tall?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 PM

30 posts, read 61,224 times
Traveler, Wayne Rooney's heritage is Irish. The examples you've given of homogenous looking British people have Irish ancestry (Lennon, Starr, Rooney).

Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 PM

30 posts, read 61,224 times
I suppose you're going to pick Noel and Liam Gallagher as textbook British people too. I'll beat you to it though: they're also of Irish origin.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 PM

824 posts, read 3,602,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Superstar View Post
Not at all. I travel to Rotterdam several times a year. I see no difference at all from what I would see in an average British city.
Rotterdam is 50- 55% foreign ancestry, Amsterdam is 50,5% foreign ancestry. I rarely saw dutch people there when I was in the touristic areas, even the white people was quite diverse, Once you go out of the ficticial multicultural randstad (or anywhere outside AMsterdam/Rotterdam/Den Haag its funny how easy its to tell apart whites from the anglosphere in Netherlands. Once you go to northern and eastern areas of netherlands you get to know what real dutch people look like. Anything in randstad area is pretty much as multicultural as it comes.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Superstar View Post
I suppose you're going to pick Noel and Liam Gallagher as textbook British people too. I'll beat you to it though: they're also of Irish origin.
Well The frequency exist among all ethnic british looks, dont tell there are no welsh, scots or english who look like that, however the types seem to be more distinctive and stereotypical among the Irish, same for wayne rooney.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:44 PM

Irish people migrated in droves to England during the famines of the 19th century. Today there are millions of Englishmen with Irish ancestry.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas90s View Post
How would you make this differentiation in the 18th century, when the Scandinavians and the Dutch were not particularly tall?
They didnt reach their potential because height is affected also by diet/nutrition and exercise habits (which can increase HGH release). Hence nowadays where all people can be well feed and diary product is commoner all over europe you can get to know who is genetically taller. Also nowadays all the countries in West are enough tall to feed their kids properly during the growing ages.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas90s View Post
Irish people migrated in droves to England during the famines of the 19th century. Today there are millions of Englishmen with Irish ancestry.
They are mostly in cities such as liverpool and MAnchester, however It doesnt explain why those types are still common among south-west english and welsh people.

Noel Gallagher wont stand out anywhere in the UK, same for john lennon, whether his type is a bit more or less common in the UK than Ireland Its another thing.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:55 PM

Again. I don't see a huge difference between England, Germany, Finland and Sweden.

''FaceResearch.org, a site run by two psychologists at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland, features software that can average together faces from thousands of photos. These images purportedly show the average face of women from 40 different nationalities.''

Source: See The Average Face Of Women From 40 Different Countries

Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,424,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
I havent. I said British are almost undishtingable from Irish, but If there is someone to look somewhat similar to them in continental europe its the Northern French, But however the overlap and similarities between them is hardly uncanny, unlike the british and the Irish. There are many brits like bruce dickenson who could pass for everyday northernfrench men but on the other hand there are types which you wont find in Northern france (or very rarely), and northern french types who wouldnt be found in Britain.

For example wayne rooney, I dont think he could pass for anything but British/Irish.

On the other hand , Arsene Wegner could pass for a Brit:

My point to contrast northern-french with brits was the fact to find the most similar groups as a whole to british people, which doesnt mean they are close to being uncanny, not in the degree of resemblance between the Irish and British populations as a whole, not even close.
It's Arsene Wenger, fool not Wegner. Wenger is not an authentic French name, it's obviously Germanic/German, he might be from northeastern France thus could even from Alsace-Lorraine which used to be German anyway. Actually he was in Strasbourg, Alsace-Lorraine. Remember Alsace-Lorraine was German, actually there is a dialect called Alsatian German. A German-looking French might pass for British, understandable.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-25-2013 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe