Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 12:20 PM

398 posts, read 698,552 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this belongs in Legal Immigration (just for USA?):
Anyone have any experience with the jure sanguinis policy for "ancestral" Italians to re-claim their Italian citizenship? What were your experiences, did you go through a lawyer? How much information did you have on the "blood line" that you claimed a part of? I'm (American) considering jumping through the hoops for various reasons, and just want to get an idea of what I'm getting into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:36 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Here is a short summary of the most important things to know: Italian nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Italian Citizenship eligibility Jure Sanguinis

Good luck!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:36 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
Anyone have any experience with the jure sanguinis policy for "ancestral" Italians to re-claim their Italian citizenship? What were your experiences, did you go through a lawyer? How much information did you have on the "blood line" that you claimed a part of? I'm (American) considering jumping through the hoops for various reasons, and just want to get an idea of what I'm getting into.
No lawyer is needed.

However, you may need to establish a relationship with a specialized private company with people on the ground in Italy who can help you retrieve birth, marriage and death documentation as appropriate, unless you yourself can retrieve what documentation you need in Italy.

Similar for US federal/state/county/municipal/court institutions in the US: you will need to retrieve all US immigration, birth, marriage and death documentation, plus apostille and translation in some cases.

You can go as far back as your great-grandfather, so that would be four generations of documentation or five if you have children: it could take a year, maybe two, to retrieve it all. The rules change a bit, becoming more flexible and easier, if going back to grandparents or parents.

In any case, the whole process of retrieving all the documentation, having the appropriate apostilles, and doing the appropriate translations could cost several hundred to around two thousand dollars, or perhaps more if you have a lot of apostilles and complicated translations and cannot do them yourself (I wound up doing my own translations after a translation company did a poor job, make sure you know the difference between a good and bad translation).

You also need to establish a relationship with the Italian consulate with jurisdiction in your region of the US: you have to set up a citizenship interview appointment which could take about a year by which time you need to have all your documentation in order.

As a result, make sure that you have the real possibility of retrieving all the necessary documentation before even thinking about making an appointment. That means contacting all federal/state/county/municipal/court institutions that may store documentation relevant to your case and finding out the rules and procedures for obtaining certified copies; if some of the people involved are still alive, you will need their cooperation, legal and otherwise.

If you pass muster at the consular appointment, it could take up to another year to receive a decision.

The people at my consulate were friendly and efficient. That may or may not be the case in other consulates.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 08-21-2013 at 03:46 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
No lawyer is needed.

However, you may need to establish a relationship with a specialized private company with people on the ground in Italy who can help you retrieve birth, marriage and death documentation as appropriate, unless you yourself can retrieve what documentation you need in Italy.

The people at my consulate were friendly and efficient. That may or may not be the case in other consulates.

Good Luck!
Wow thanks, bale. I have decided to go through a private company to get the Italian documentation and translations. You are absolutely right about creating a relationship with the consulate, I will keep that in mind. Bale, would you be able to tell me how much weight is given to one's ability to speak/write decent Italian during this process, or more specifically even during the interview if granted? I am taking up Italian for the first time, my third language, and am thrilled to dive into it. But it would also be great to have a clue what is expected. Thanks again.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:

would you be able to tell me how much weight is given to one's ability to speak/write decent Italian during this process, or more specifically even during the interview if granted?
None. During my interview, we spoke in English and the lady doing the interview was surprised when she realized that I speak Italian.

As mentioned, more important is to know that you have good translations of the documentation, in particular the ones that will be registered in the "comune" that they assign you (certainly your birth, also your marriage certificate and children's birth certificates if married and/or children, perhaps a divorce decree, possibly also your police and any legal records), usually the last one of residence of your forefather who left Italy, assuming that you get that far in the process: I am pretty sure that they would reject bad translations of those documents, and I am glad that I was able to translate them myself, saving big complications, time, and money.

If you already have experience in learning foreign languages, especially a Romance language, then you should have no problem with Italian.

All the best!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
None. During my interview, we spoke in English and the lady doing the interview was surprised when she realized that I speak Italian.

As mentioned, more important is to know that you have good translations of the documentation, in particular the ones that will be registered in the "comune" that they assign you (certainly your birth, also your marriage certificate and children's birth certificates if married and/or children, perhaps a divorce decree, possibly also your police and any legal records), usually the last one of residence of your forefather who left Italy, assuming that you get that far in the process: I am pretty sure that they would reject bad translations of those documents, and I am glad that I was able to translate them myself, saving big complications, time, and money.

If you already have experience in learning foreign languages, especially a Romance language, then you should have no problem with Italian.

All the best!
Thank you! I'm still scared but thanks!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,709 times
Quote:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Consular Services - Citizenship

Old 08-25-2013, 03:30 AM

205 posts, read 520,392 times
Novila

I see that the Italian laws are similar, and more generous, than the Spanish laws (that don't include great-grandparents).

The real important document is the one that states that your father was born out of a Italian father/mother....not a naturalized American citizen. The document must be issued by the US and must be legalized by the Italian Embassy. Once you demonstrate "continuity", the rest of the process is automatic.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardillo View Post
Novila

I see that the Italian laws are similar, and more generous, than the Spanish laws (that don't include great-grandparents).

The real important document is the one that states that your father was born out of a Italian father/mother....not a naturalized American citizen. The document must be issued by the US and must be legalized by the Italian Embassy. Once you demonstrate "continuity", the rest of the process is automatic.
In the case of a great-grandfather, you have to demonstrate that your grandfather was born before your great-grandfather became a naturalized US citizen. Usually that goes back to the 1920s-1930s period, and at that time COUNTY courts administered immigration matters. Hence, the first step is to determine whether your great-grandfather became a naturalized US citizen and, if so, when. To do that, you must provide a court document probably from the COUNTY which recorded the naturalization or contact the appropriate US federal government agency (can't remember which one right now) for a document stating that there is no naturalization record. If your great-grandfather indeed became a naturalized citizen, then you must provide a COUNTY court document with the date of naturalization and compare that to your grandfather's the date of birth.

That is one link in the chain of continuity going back three generations.

In the sense that Italy, like most or all of continental Europe, operates under codified civil law (Roman law/Theodosian/Justinianic/Napoleonic code), rather than common law like in the UK/US, the process is indeed automatic provided that you demonstrate in documentation, in accordance with law, all the links in the chain of continuity, and, once you have all the documentation in order, the opinion of the person conducting the citizenship interview doesn't matter. What matters is whether you have satisfied the criteria of the law as written.

Good Luck!

Old 08-29-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
In the case of a great-grandfather, you have to demonstrate that your grandfather was born before your great-grandfather became a naturalized US citizen. Usually that goes back to the 1920s-1930s period, and at that time COUNTY courts administered immigration matters. Hence, the first step is to determine whether your great-grandfather became a naturalized US citizen and, if so, when. To do that, you must provide a court document probably from the COUNTY which recorded the naturalization or contact the appropriate US federal government agency (can't remember which one right now) for a document stating that there is no naturalization record. If your great-grandfather indeed became a naturalized citizen, then you must provide a COUNTY court document with the date of naturalization and compare that to your grandfather's the date of birth.

That is one link in the chain of continuity going back three generations.

In the sense that Italy, like most or all of continental Europe, operates under codified civil law (Roman law/Theodosian/Justinianic/Napoleonic code), rather than common law like in the UK/US, the process is indeed automatic provided that you demonstrate in documentation, in accordance with law, all the links in the chain of continuity, and, once you have all the documentation in order, the opinion of the person conducting the citizenship interview doesn't matter. What matters is whether you have satisfied the criteria of the law as written.

Good Luck!
Thanks again. Too bad I can't rep you again yet. I did read somewhere that the naturalization records could be under federal jurisdiction, or would have been earlier, say pre-1906... anyway I will research it more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe