Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 AM

86 posts, read 206,604 times

Advertisements

With the European Union having grown significantly stronger in the past twenty years, what do you think the future of Europe is? More specifically, will there be continued integration between the countries? Will nationalism of one's country turn into European nationalism and eventually result in Europe essentially being one country?

I am an American, and have been to Europe several times in the past few years. I found it rather incredible that there is no border security at national boundaries(In the Schengen zone) as when I travel anywhere here, even if I am just going across the border to Canada, it requires being questioned and potentially searched. From an outsiders perspective it seems as though Europe is very slowly heading toward being one country. I'm not talking now, but many a hundred or so years from now, or more. I've mentioned it to others before and they seem to think I'm a little crazy. But, I would think someone who lived in 1914 and predicted the end of all European wars, the collapse of the European colonies empires and monarchies, and a common currency and very friendly relations between European neighbors within 100 years would have been called crazy as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 09:45 AM

719 posts, read 2,665,741 times
I think so, yes. Increased competition from the Chinasphere as well as a push by German hegemony will inevitably lead to a European Federation. The UK is biggest barrier right now, but they may leave the EU altogether.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:04 PM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
I think so, yes. Increased competition from the Chinasphere as well as a push by German hegemony will inevitably lead to a European Federation. The UK is biggest barrier right now, but they may leave the EU altogether.
There are lots of countries who oppose a Federal Europe, with the Dutch, Danes and other Nordic countries all against a Federal Europe along with the UK. The idea of a Federal Europe has also lost a good deal of credibility since the Euro crisis in countries such as Greece, whilst even the French and German electorate are starting to question such an ideal. Germany itself may yet be overtaken by the UK in terms of economic performance BY 2030 according to a lot of predictions, and as for German hegemony, German dominance may not be as significant in the future, especially if they are no longer economically dominant and refuse to take a major role in military and international affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe