Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 PM

2,920 posts, read 5,218,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That is exactly my point. In my view it is not about whether or not Britain shares any culture with Britain at all, but in my view it shares just as much culture with Europe as Germany or Spain or Italy does. Britain has always been one of the core countries of Europe, after all it already existed long before it had any colonies. There have always been close connections between Britain and Germany, for instance, even on the royal level. And of course the Celtic and Roman history long before that...
Exactly. No one is denying the fact that the UK is close to other Commonwealth countries and the US but that doesn't make the UK any less European. One doesn't exclude the other. Britain is every bit as European as any other country in Europe and I doubt many people in mainland Europe would argue with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 05:18 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,567,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's some posts from the General U.S. Forum I made arguing the US has more in common with the UK than the rest of Europe.
Canada is quite different from the US in some ways, for instance economics. Since you mention income equality, Canada is way better in that respect. It has European values rather than US ones.

http://cdn3.chartsbin.com/chartimage...cdf4111fc2490d

"and the least prone to illiberal, anti-freedom policies"

According to the Snowden leaks that is not the case Not to mention the millions of cameras spread all over Britain, it is the European country with most surveillance going on...

I see no difference regarding apartment blocks, I have seen lots of them in Britain, and mostly very gloomy ones, not colorful new ones like in Brazil. Real estate in Britain is so expensive that many people just can't afford a home of their own anymore.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I think the US is closer culturally to the UK than any other country in Europe, did you read my previous posts about music, television and films? Don't you think that the shared language would have a big impact!? Do you know the historical links between the US and the UK, or the UK and Australia? Of course this will have an affect on the British psyche , I am not saying that Britains don't have any cultural links with Europe because of course it does, but in Britain we unfortunately don't have hardly any access to European music, European TV or European films and in this day sand age its this 'media' that connects people.
One could look at it from the other side and say that the US is still rather European, even if they don't want to hear that After all, all those immigrants just carry on the old system, just like in Britain immigrants just carry on the old system.
There is another thread where some US politician demands more British immigrants be let in instead of Latin American ones. That kind of shows that Brits have a connection to the British/European part of the US, not the Latin and Black part of it. And people in the US are aware of that.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,879,198 times
Quote:
One could look at it from the other side and say that the US is still rather European, even if they don't want to hear that After all, all those immigrants just carry on the old system, just like in Britain immigrants just carry on the old system.
I think the US has influence from lots of Euro nations, but none more so than the UK for a few obvious reasons.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I think the US is closer culturally to the UK than any other country in Europe
If you mean that the US is closer to the UK than it (the US) is to other European countries, I wouldn't argue with that.

Quote:
did you read my previous posts about music, television and films? Don't you think that the shared language would have a big impact!? Do you know the historical links between the US and the UK, or the UK and Australia? Of course this will have an affect on the British psyche , I am not saying that Britains don't have any cultural links with Europe because of course it does, but in Britain we unfortunately don't have hardly any access to European music, European TV or European films and in this day sand age its this 'media' that connects people.
I'm sure the shared language has an impact, just as it has for France, Spain and Portugal with their overseas (former) territories. On the other hand, almost all the popular music, television shows and films from the US/UK are available here too and we don't get anything from other European countries either, apart from the occasional summer hit song. Do you think people in France listen to Greek music or people in Finland read Italian newspapers? Of course not. We are just as 'isolated' as you are in that respect.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
If you mean that the US is closer to the UK than it (the US) is to other European countries, I wouldn't argue with that.

I'm sure the shared language has an impact, just as it has for France, Spain and Portugal with their overseas (former) territories. On the other hand, almost all the popular music, television shows and films from the US/UK are available here too and we don't get anything from other European countries either, apart from the occasional summer hit song. Do you think people in France listen to Greek music or people in Finland read Italian newspapers? Of course not. We are just as 'isolated' as you are in that respect.
Yep, here in Portugal it is as if there were no Europe, not a single German, Dutch, Greek, etc. song on the radio ever. The EU is only money-deep

Anyone who wants to become successful outside their own country, sings in English these days...

Old 08-28-2013, 05:43 PM

14,808 posts, read 11,879,198 times
Quote:
Yep, here in Portugal it is as if there were no Europe, not a single German, Dutch, Greek, etc. song on the radio ever. The EU is only money-deep
Yes I understand this, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the 'Anglo' nations share music and celebrity - I know the US exports music and film worldwide but it also imports British music, film TV etc, I am just trying to show the connection between 'Anglo' nations in order to 'suggest' why I feel Britain is less 'integrated' into Europe than 'other' Euro nations to in turn suggest a reason why the UK gets a lot of negative comments from (some Europeans).

Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:

Anyone who wants to become successful outside their own country, sings in English these days...
Not everyone This song is currently #2 in The Netherlands

Like I said, these are exceptions though.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Yes I understand this, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the 'Anglo' nations share music and celebrity - I know the US exports music and film worldwide but it also imports British music, film TV etc, I am just trying to show the connection between 'Anglo' nations in order to 'suggest' why I feel Britain is less 'integrated' into Europe than 'other' Euro nations to in turn suggest a reason why the UK gets a lot of negative comments from (some Europeans).
How shall I put it, just because the US play some British music and vice versa, doesn't make Britain any less European or any less integrated into Europe than any other European country. In terms of connections the US is just an appendix to Britain, an offspring of that and other European countries, the US developed on a European foundation, not the other way round. And the part of the US that has retained its European roots still feels closer to Britain, whereas many other parts and subcultures of the US such as Chinatowns have as little to do with Britain as they have with the Kongo.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 PM

9,980 posts, read 12,320,597 times
Quote:
I still see both however the government is trying hard to push kg's and Celsius on to us (but strangely enough not kph??). Have you noticed that in the UK when its cold people tend to use Celsius and when its hot they use Farenheight? eg its cold its only 5 degrees or its hot its in the nineties!! lol
Yes mainly the media that does that. Especially if its a heatwave or something lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe