Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
That post bears no relevance to how "European" Britain is or isn't. Try again.
But it does bear relevance to (what many people think of) the existing Anglosphere though. Do you honestly believe that there are other European countries tied more closely to any of the 'Anglo' nations than the Anglo's are to each other? If you do then I am genuinly interested to find out why you might think this so and I would be interested to see a comparison to my previous post so that I can see in what way they are. I know that all the Anglo nations have cultural influences from outside the Anglosphere but I can't see any other nations that have exported so much culture in to the Anglo countries as they have shared between each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 06:17 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
If you are not denying that the UK shares an Anglo culture then what exactly is 'wrong' with the point I have been 'trying' to make??
I'm not denying that the UK shares an Anglo culture with Australia, New Zealand, United States and Canada, I have nether denied that and I've told you many times that I don't - FFS!

Quote:
Thank you for the apology, I must admit I did feel a little 'offended' I guess English has never really been my 'strong point' - I think perhaps you are right a lot of what I am trying to say seems to have been lost in translation - the harder I tried to make clear what I was saying the more I seemed to be angering people and to be honest with you I cant see why! :-)
You are very clear don't, you may have poor paragraph structures but other than that your posts are pretty clear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Don't forget that new world English speaking countries share large parts of their cultures with countries other than the UK. For example, Australia didn't get its wine growing and drinking culture from the UK, nor its surfing culture, or our favourite spring event - Oktoberfest. Australian cuisine is largely a Eurasian blend, with the European contribution being very Mediterranean. Even our basic political model - a federation of states with an elected "state's house', the Senate - we copied from the US.

Those countries also have cultural influences from local and nearby indigenous cultures; Aboriginal, Maori, Torres Straight Islander........ They also have been strongly influenced by the broad range of cultures brought to their shores by generations of immigrants from around the globe.

You can't say they share "an Anglo culture" with the UK, because the Anglo legacy is only one part of their cultural mix.
In bold that's very true, the same goes for New Zealand with its Maori influence and the US so many influences to its culture to list.

I think Easthome confuses language with culture, once again by this logic one can say all the Francophone countries are the same thats obviously not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
1) New Zealand
2) Australia
3) Canada
4) US
5) Ireland

BIG GAP HERE

6) Northern France
7) Belgium
8) Iceland
9) Netherlands/Denmark
10) Germany
5) Norway
1) Ireland - This is undisputed!
2) Netherlands
3) Denmark - Germany - Norway
4) New Zealand -Australia
5) Canada
6) USA

Last edited by Rozenn; 09-25-2013 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 09-25-2013, 06:23 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,183 times
Quote:
But it does bear relevance to (what many people think of) the existing Anglosphere though. Do you honestly believe that there are other European countries tied more closely to any of the 'Anglo' nations than the Anglo's are to each other? If you do then I am genuinly interested to find out why you might think this so and I would be interested to see a comparison to my previous post so that I can see in what way they are. I know that all the Anglo nations have cultural influences from outside the Anglosphere but I can't see any other nations that have exported so much culture in to the Anglo countries as they have shared between each other.
You are still confusing language with culture.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:24 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,024,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I'm not denying that the UK shares an Anglo culture with Australia, New Zealand, United States and Canada, I have nether denied that and I've told you many times that I don't - FFS!

You are very clear don't, you may have poor paragraph structures but other than that your posts are pretty clear...

In bold that's very true, the same goes for New Zealand with its Maori influence and the US so many influences to its culture to list.

I think Easthome confuses language with culture, once again by this logic one can say all the Francophone countries are the same thats obviously not true.

1) Ireland - This is undisputed!
2) Netherlands
3) Denmark - Germany - Norway
4) New Zealand -Australia
5) Canada
6) USA
Agree wirh your list above. I've spent a lot of time in the Netherlands. It's like a cleaner, better planned version of Britain

Old 09-25-2013, 07:06 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Quote:
Thank you for the apology, I must admit I did feel a little 'offended' I guess English has never really been my 'strong point' - I think perhaps you are right a lot of what I am trying to say seems to have been lost in translation - the harder I tried to make clear what I was saying the more I seemed to be angering people and to be honest with you I cant see why! :-)
I guess I'm just a snooty European who looks down on the 'New World'.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
You are still confusing language with culture.
But your language is part of your culture - if nothing else it certainly has a massive affect.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,527 times
@ Easthome, since you keep referring to your post #340 I took the effort to answer it for you.

Quote:
As a Dutchman would you say there was such a thing as 'Beatlemania'? Were the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne, Coldplay, Amy Whinehouse etc etc etc well known in the Netherlands?
Absolutely. Other British acts that were/are hugely popular here (but not in the US) are Robbie Williams, the Sugababes and Birdy. Many British artists break through in Europe before they are known in the US (e.g. Emeli Sande, Ed Sheeran, James Morrison).

Quote:
Do you have BBC America there?
No, we have the actual British BBC (BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4).

Quote:
Are there many UK tv programs that have been made into American versions (ie Xfactor, Absolutely Fabulouse, the Ali G show, Im a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, etc etc), do you know TV celebraties Simon Cowell, Piers Morgan? (sorry about those by the way) any British TV shows in the US, Downton Abbey, Are You Being Served, Mr Bean, or Dr Who etc etc perhaps?
Yes to all the above. We have all the talent shows (X-Factor, Holland's Got Talent, Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, Top Chef, Holland's Next Top Model, etc.), we have the reality shows (Wife Swap, Hotter Than My Daughter, Supernanny, etc.), we have Top Gear and the Graham Norton Show, we have that show with the fat bald man who pretends he's a woman, everyone knows who Mr Bean is. There's a Scottish guy (Derek Ogilvie) who has his own show on the most popular commercial channel in the country. We created The Voice and Big Brother which were very successful in Britain. As a sidenote, the winner of our first season of The Voice is originally from Britain:

Quote:
Are there many Dutch actors and actresses in Hollywood (Charlie Chaplain, Stan Laural, Cary Grant, Daniel Day-Lewis, Anthony Hopkins, Christian Bale, Jude Law, Keira Knightley, Tim Roth, Hugh Laurie, Kate Winslett, Orlando Bloom, Jason Statham etc etc etc,
There are some (Famke Janssen, Carice van Houten, Halina van Reijn) but obviously not to the same extent as Britain due to the difference in language.

Quote:
would you say that the British Royal family made the news in the US when the Royal baby was born or when Diana died?
Of course, these were huge news stories.

Quote:
Is the NFL trying to 'expand' overseas? to Madrid perhaps? or Berlin? or maybe London!?
All of the above actually. The American NFL founded the NFL Europe league with teams from Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK. It was disbanded after a few years due to lack of success. You see, we Europeans much prefer our own kind of football

Quote:
Do Dutch people have any idea who Charles Dickens, Chaucer or Shakespear is? Any idea as to who Robin Hood or the Knights of the Round table are, Harry Potter or James Bond?
Yep.

Quote:
Are we actually conversing in the same language?
No, but literally 90% of Dutch people can speak English as a second language.

Quote:
Wasn't the Netherlands once part of the British Empire and governed from Westminster!!?
No, but we have our own history with the UK (see: Netherlands-United Kingdom Relations).

You can do the same thing with many other Western European countries, the Netherlands was just the most obvious example.

Last edited by LindavG; 09-25-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
@ Easthome, since you keep referring to your post #340 I took the effort to answer it for you.

Absolutely. Other British acts that were/are hugely popular here (but not in the US) are Robbie Williams, the Sugababes and Birdy. Many British artists break through in Europe before they are known in the US (e.g. Emeli Sande, Ed Sheeran, James Morrison).

No, we have the actual British BBC (BBC 1, 2, 3 and 4).

Yes to all the above. We have all the talent shows (X-Factor, Holland's Got Talent, Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, Top Chef, Holland's Next Top Model, etc.), we have the reality shows (Wife Swap, Hotter Than My Daughter, Supernanny, etc.), we have Top Gear and the Graham Norton Show, we have that show with the fat bald man who pretends he's a woman, everyone knows who Mr Bean is. There's a Scottish guy (Derek Ogilvie) who has his own show on the most popular commercial channel in the country. We created The Voice and Big Brother which were very successful in Britain. As a sidenote, the winner of our first season of The Voice is originally from Britain:

There are some (Famke Janssen, Carice van Houten, Halina van Reijn) but obviously not to the same extent as Britain due to the difference in language.

Of course, these were huge news stories.

All of the above actually. The American NFL founded the NFL Europe league with teams from Germany, the Netherlands, Spain and the UK. It was disbanded after a few years due to lack of success. You see, we Europeans much prefer our own kind of football

Yep.

No, but literally 90% of Dutch people can speak English as a second language.

No, but we have our own history with the UK (see: Netherlands-United Kingdom Relations).

You can do the same thing with many other Western European countries, the Netherlands was just the most obvious example.
I You miss the point I am making with the post - all of the listed (and I could list an awful lot more) are cultural aspects from the UK incorporated into the US, can you say that anything like as much has gone from the Netherlands into the US? Or indeed from all of the countries in Europe (excluding Ireland) that has gone into the US?

Old 09-25-2013, 09:28 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Here's a cultural dimension scale of countries used to signify differences in communication between people of different cultures. Australia, Canada and the US all perform very similarly; the UK is about the same, too. Of course that doesn't mean the UK isn't European, as there is a large variation within western European countries, the UK doesn't seem like a particularly big outlier.

Countries - Geert Hofstede

Old 09-25-2013, 09:33 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,527 times
Quote:
I You miss the point I am making with the post - all of the listed (and I could list an awful lot more) are cultural aspects from the UK incorporated into the US, can you say that anything like as much has gone from the Netherlands into the US? Or indeed from all of the countries in Europe (excluding Ireland) that has gone into the US?
Who is talking about the US here? This is about the relation between Britain and the Netherlands vs. Britain and the US. All the things you listed as evidence for the connection between Britain and the US are true for the Netherlands as well, except language (but as many people have told you already, language is not the same as culture).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe