Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:08 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
But is it really that similar?

I have been to america and it is very similar. I actually loved it because I could often go into the stores and buy food etc that would be common here, the television shows etc were common also, I mean I basically watched all the shows that I would watch at home. I found myself alot more comfortable as I could have conversations with the locals too. In Spain etc I found the food to be completely foreign. What would you say would be similar with Netherlands?
WE are similar to the Netherlands, I think it more depends what part of the UK you live in. Some of the streets in Eastern England look very similar to that of the Netherlands, flat, brick houses, multicultural etc. Media wise we are different but in attitude we are quite similar, I've met some Dutch teenagers I they seem very similar (maybe a little more ''in tune'')
What I'm trying to say is European countries are very different to each other, too.

From wikipedia

Quote:
Wine plays only a modest role in Dutch cuisine, but there are many brands of beer (mainly lager) and strong alcoholic liquor. The most famous Dutch beer producers are Heineken in the west, Grolsch in the east, and Bavaria in the south.
Looks awfully similar to a sunday roast...

Just go onto google maps and look at the streets of Amsterdam....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 01:12 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
But is it really that similar?

I have been to america and it is very similar. I actually loved it because I could often go into the stores and buy food etc that would be common here, the television shows etc were common also, I mean I basically watched all the shows that I would watch at home. I found myself alot more comfortable as I could have conversations with the locals too. In Spain etc I found the food to be completely foreign. What would you say would be similar with Netherlands?
I have been to many a Tesco and Sainsbury, they sell almost the same stuff as supermarkets down here in Portugal, only the brand names are different. There are some things that they sell in Britain, but not necessarily here, mostly ethnic Asian food. And vice versa there are some things that I did not see in Britain. But most stuff is pretty much the same. And it is logical as we have the same standard of living, every Western country is importing and exporting stuff and ideas like crazy.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:14 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
In Germany you may well be watching the same US programs but the Americans are listening to British music and watching British TV, they do not listen to much other European music and TV, and if they do its miniscule compared to British and other English speaking countries. Also its not 'British American' actors in Hollywood but British actors and actresses, this again is probably due to that shared language.
I'm sure that if the USA spoke French then the France would be in the same position that the UK is.

I just don't get why people think the UK is so far removed from Europe...when Americans go to Europe (including Britain) they go for the old buildings, interesting cultures and diversity. That's the key Europe is diverse but they're some similarities within the diversity obviously.
Is it coincidence that our Language and culture is called Germanic and is grouped with the Netherlands, Germany etc...? No it isn't! Just like the slavics culture/language (?) of eastern Europe are grouped.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have been to many a Tesco and Sainsbury, they sell almost the same stuff as supermarkets down here in Portugal, only the brand names are different. There are some things that they sell in Britain, but not necessarily here, mostly ethnic Asian food. And vice versa there are some things that I did not see in Britain. But most stuff is pretty much the same. And it is logical as we have the same standard of living, every Western country is importing and exporting stuff and ideas like crazy.
I'm sorry but they definitely don't sell the same stuff.

For one the meat is totally different. In Spain I nearly had a stroke my first time. I walked into the meat counter and there was big chunks of dried out chicken etc standing there, it had the most revolting smell.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yl10i9x7wO...0/IMG_0062.JPG

When they were preparing the meat, it had big lumps of white stuff in it and they had to cut the bones etc out. In the UK when we get the meat it is already cut up etc.

And that is only one difference. They don't even have the same kind of range of supermarkets or choices. I found the Spanish supermarkets to have much less sweets and crisps for one.

As for the houses. Let's not go there...

Even when the stuff is the same it tastes totally different. For example, the Spanish bread is absolutely disgusting.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:20 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I'm sure that if the USA spoke French then the France would be in the same position that the UK is.

I just don't get why people think the UK is so far removed from Europe...when Americans go to Europe (including Britain) they go for the old buildings, interesting cultures and diversity. That's the key Europe is diverse but they're some similarities within the diversity obviously.
Is it coincidence that our Language and culture is called Germanic and is grouped with the Netherlands, Germany etc...? No it isn't! Just like the slavics culture/language (?) of eastern Europe are grouped.
Re the speaking French thing - I am sure you are right - The UK is just closer to other English speaking nations than it is to Europe due perhaps to the shared popular culture which in turn is quite possibly due to historical links and the shared language.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
WE are similar to the Netherlands, I think it more depends what part of the UK you live in. Some of the streets in Eastern England look very similar to that of the Netherlands, flat, brick houses, multicultural etc. Media wise we are different but in attitude we are quite similar, I've met some Dutch teenagers I they seem very similar (maybe a little more ''in tune'')
What I'm trying to say is European countries are very different to each other, too.

From wikipedia

Looks awfully similar to a sunday roast...

Just go onto google maps and look at the streets of Amsterdam....

I don't care about the streets. I'm talking about the culture of the local people and the television shows etc.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:27 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,365 times
Quote:
I don't care about the streets. I'm talking about the culture of the local people and the television shows etc.
You mean popular British television shows like Big Brother and The Voice? Guess where they came from

Vice versa, we have a lot of the same shows you have in the UK, some of them taken directly, others re-made in Dutch. My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, Hotter Than My Daughter, X-Factor, [Holland's] Got Talent, Supernanny, Top Gear, etc. We have all of the American crime shows like CSI New York/Miami/Las Vegas, NCIS, Criminal Minds, Bones, Unforgettable, Covert Affairs, etc. We have MTV, E!, TLC, National Geographic, Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, all of them with the same programs that are broadcast in your country. I doubt you'd get much of a culture shock watching Dutch TV, you'll just have to ignore the subtitles and you'll be fine

Last edited by LindavG; 08-28-2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but they definitely don't sell the same stuff.

For one the meat is totally different. In Spain I nearly had a stroke my first time. I walked into the meat counter and there was big chunks of dried out chicken etc standing there, it had the most revolting smell.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yl10i9x7wO...0/IMG_0062.JPG

When they were preparing the meat, it had big lumps of white stuff in it and they had to cut the bones etc out. In the UK when we get the meat it is already cut up etc.

And that is only one difference. They don't even have the same kind of range of supermarkets or choices. I found the Spanish supermarkets to have much less sweets and crisps for one.

As for the houses. Let's not go there...

Even when the stuff is the same it tastes totally different. For example, the Spanish bread is absolutely disgusting.
Don't know, I am vegetarian There are tables with raw fish on them though, which I also find a bit disgusting. They are located in the isle so I have to pass them.
But packaged stuff is basically the same. Bread tastes good, depending on the type and brand. I am speaking for Portugal, though...
In Spain it also depends on whether it is a bigger chain or some small family-run store. The standard varies quite a bit.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:29 PM

But then again where did the popular shows in america like american idol and x factor come from?

Old 08-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Don't know, I am vegetarian There are tables with raw fish on them though, which I also find a bit disgusting. They are located in the isle so I have to pass them.
But packaged stuff is basically the same. Bread tastes good, depending on the type and brand. I am speaking for Portugal, though...
In Spain it also depends on whether it is a bigger chain or some small family-run store. The standard varies quite a bit.
Well I haven't been to Portugal before, but definitely in Spain the food is very different and quite disgusting- I am not trying to be disrespectful to the Spanish food, I just did not like the way everything was displayed, it was kind of too much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe