Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:43 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
You'd be better off moving to England. Spain would be a massive culture shock.
OP is Mexican, not American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 01:45 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostbeta View Post
ok i see

ummm last question.

Say you won the lottery [millions of dollars and you never have to work again your your life] and you paid your US taxes that year. well you wait till next year and you say "hey i want to live in Spain", you have no more income that following year.you just want to relax and live life.

Do you then need to pay a income tax?

thanks for your help so far
In that case, you would have to leave the money in a non-interest bearing account and live off the capital little by little.

Alternatively, if you do not mind filing an income declaration but do not want to pay tax, then invest in low interest rate government bonds that generate only such much interest that you could offset the income with standard deductions and exemptions, all countries' tax codes have them: in other words, if you could live off around, say, $10,000 per year, then you could preserve the capital and pay little or no income tax, still file a declaration (probably for both countries), but not meet the minimum income thresholds to effectively pay tax. Who knows, with a low declared income you might even qualify for welfare benefits. But, again, on the other hand, if you do not want to file any declaration, then no income whatsoever. However, in such case, you may run into problems qualifying for a visa.

Another idea, then, would be to enroll as a student, which would probably be the best of all worlds - usually the least stringent requirements for a visa - and just never graduate.

Good Luck!

Old 09-03-2013, 03:12 AM

205 posts, read 520,124 times
You are Mexican and you have money?
Just come, be happy and don't worry.
Your driving permit can be exchanged by a Spanish one, assuming you have a Mexican permit.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:07 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Yes something like this

from google images, I meant maybe the use of this is not the same, but no idea honestly.
The basic concept of "full" residency is about the same throughout all UN member states, i.e. a full-time resident enjoys all legal rights, protections and obligations, except perhaps the right to vote and military service where applicable (some countries allow non-citizen, full-time residents the right to vote in local elections, some allow citizenship in exchange for military service).

To be sure, the rules on how residency can be obtained can vary greatly from country to country, as do the rules on how residency status can be maintained and revoked.

For example, even though the US uses the term "permanent residency", the so-called "green card" does have an expiration date (every 15 years or so, while in some countries it is probably less, every five years or so), and it is possible to lose residency due to, for example, prolonged absences from the country without proper reporting and permissions (e.g. to the IRS and USCIS), or some sort of misconduct.

Let's say that the permiso de residencia for Spain means "full" residency (all rights, protections and obligations, minus any exceptions such as voting rights and military service) and has a five-year validity: I'm sure there are rules governing extension of full residency status for another five years or, on the contrary, revocation of the privilege and deportation.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:07 PM

285 posts, read 749,841 times
I'm Spanish. I live in the North.

I warn you against moving here.
Lots of young and qualified are leaving the country... for a reason
A huge crisis, political corruption, massive unemployment specially in the South, open migratory policy which allows millions of immigrants from all over the third world to come to Spain... So do not worry about any residence permision, even illegal, NOBODY will expel you ... if you still have you mexican nationality, here you'll get spanish nationality in two years. The police system is very good, but the crime punishment here is ridiculous, so criminal gangs are coming from all over the world.
Inform yourself about gypsy clans too...
A country plagued with regional seperatisms, basque, I think a hundred years ago supported by british secret services (watch their flag, similar to the union flag), catalonian, with economical elites that flooded their region with muslims to get support...

And if you really want to come here...
Avoid the South, the north is better, the atlantic regions are very similar to France in everything.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:05 PM

229 posts, read 316,717 times
Just keep in mind unemployement for people younger than 30 is around 50% and national average is around 25%.
Very, very bad move. I guess you want to move to Spain because you speak the language?
For your information, I'm French, moved to the US in 1990 and will NEVER move back to France even if I'm paid.
Well, I guess it'd depend how much I'd be paid!

Except for Germany, Holland and the Scandinavian countries and maybe the Balkan countries, Europe is going to disintegrate. Why would you leave a place like the US where people are dynamic, can rebound very easily, show amazing resilience for a place like Southern Europe...unless you don't have to work to stay alive.
Now, Spain and Italy as far as mentalities are concerned are way better than France, but still compared to the US or Canada you'll find that people simply can't think outside their culture.

Again, a very very bad idea.
Philippe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe