Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 PM

485 posts, read 2,246,159 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what do Europeans think of Mexico. If you're a European, have lived in Europe or is living there can you tell me what you think? What comes to your mind when you think of Mexico.

I am very curious since I have seen many of the Europeans and Asians..(students and visitors/tourists). They all say the same things (good & bad). Even though I've practically lived here in the states for most my life, Mexico is where I and my family was born (except my 2 sisters).

I always hear you guys say this

1. America is so energetic and dynamic, so full of energy and fun.
2. Americans are so friendly
3. The US is so dirty and dangerous
4. Americans are so stupid
5. Americans are very rude and disrespectful, so violent
6. The US is so religious and hates women and homosexuals so much...OMG I can't stand it!!!

I've lived here, and I think this country has a lot of good things, for the most part it's fine...I almost think maybe these people who say this have paper thin skin and can't stand religious people or seeing a little garbage or trash. Yes cleanliness is nice, but a little bit of trash doesn't hurt...it won't kill anyone. And YES some places are dangerous but so many other countries are as well.

I also just can't imagine seeing these people in Mexico. The positives that Mexico has are even greater and the negatives are even more too.. If you think the US has the lowest average test scores in the world, Mexico's is even lower.. Mexico is some of the lowest of the OCED nations. In general, I think Mexicans are a LOT more friendly than Americans (but some americans in some states or regions can be just as friendly though). Also Mexicans even in this day in age are still even more machistic and more religious than the Americans..Probably Mexico is one of the most catholic countries in the world, so therefore really conservative. Some Mexicans are very quick tempered and rude and are nothing compared to americans. I actually think many americans are actually nice and respectful. Also, we are so backwards in infraestructure its not even funny...

However, I think Mexico is a good place, great food, warm climate, welcoming people, a growing economy (not growing rapidly like china but still at a pretty good and steady rate) and nice cities and countryside. It has many interesting things too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 10:26 PM

485 posts, read 2,246,159 times
also, the Cowboy culture originated in Mexico or the New Spain. I kind of wish though it's government let it's people bear arms so they can defend themselves against a threat. It also sucks that Mexico banned the death penalty and now they can't reinstate that despite tries doing that...You can't do that according to international law.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,264,432 times
Mexico is a fascinating country, beautiful nature and diversity of climates and landscapes, With a unique identity made of the fusion of Native American aspects with a Spanish-derived culture. I loved that country when I went there in vacations, and would like to return there in the future.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:00 AM

270 posts, read 593,117 times
Ok...I'll tell you what just popped up in my mind, reading "Mexiko".

-Aztecs and very rich, interesting culture
-great Beaches
-land where my SO's ancestors came from
-food which I never learned to like
-drugs/criminality
-beautiful artwork
-chocolate
-Tequila

that's it.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:08 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Mexico is a nice place, friendly people with beautiful acent and I personally like the food, spicy one included :P I like some of the culture, the old History and also the beaches of course.

The biggest problem are the dangerous areas, extremely dangerous.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:25 AM

205 posts, read 520,437 times
I'd say that at least in Spain and Italy, Mexico is the most fascinating country in North America.
Lots of tourists not only in Riviera Maya, but to DF also.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:50 AM

112 posts, read 353,818 times
Western European having lived in Los Angeles so I think I'm well placed to comment if you know what I mean (or ever been to California)

What I've noticed first and foremost is that Mexicans in the USA are extremely different than Mexicans themselves. Unfortunately it seems alot of the Mexicans streaming into the USA are the lowest strata of Mexican society, the kind of people who literally would run across the border leaving all their belongings to live in the USA.

So my initial impression was not very good. Often not speaking English, not extremely smart, often very religious, etc. However I noticed their work dedication (low skilled work but work nonetheless) and their modesty/humility which impressed me.

On the other end of the spectrum I met some Mexicans from Mexico...Which to be honest impressed me alot. I was suprised in my biases...To see extremely high IQ mexicans, doctors, lawyers, and completely 1st world mentality level...Fashionable, good looking, intelligent, hard working...

I know my post reeks of bias...But truth be told that were my impression of a people I had never seen before (in Europe we RARELY get in contact with Mexicans).

Overall I have to add: The overall impression of the Mexicans to me is positive. However the deep feeling is that it is still a nation that has deep troubles, and maybe I only saw the good side of it.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 AM

257 posts, read 518,128 times
Those big hats, but no idea how you call them, a poncho, hairy men with long moustaches, football, soap operas, 1968 Olympics, drugs (sorry), Yucatan (poor dinosaurs) and of course The Aztecs

Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Drug war (extreme violence, narcocorrido, corruption)

Tequila
Taco
Aztec pyramids
Beach resorts
Business: Carlos Slim
Art: Frida Kahlo
Film: Guillermo del Toro, Salma Hayek
Sports: Sergio Perez (Formula 1)

Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
I think it's a very poor country with alot of problems that I would not want to live next door to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe