Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 AM

116 posts, read 143,664 times

Advertisements

Lately I have been thinking of relocating to Europe, but I am not sure where .... We are 2 Romanians living in Chicago and although we are here for a number of years we don't really feel integrated...Our family and friends are back in Romania, but going back there is not an option considering where that country is heading ...So we were thinking of moving to a western country, taking advantage of both higher quality of life and closeness to home.
The main drawbacks are language and paychecks...
I only know Romanian and English, he knows Romanian, English, Hungarian and can understand German (he used to speak it pretty well but he forgot). I think he could learn pretty easily any other new language, but I am kind of an anti-talent at this, so I don't know... So I think I would rather move to a country where English is understood...
Second is the paycheck...now from my paycheck I can afford a 2 bedroom, 2000 sqft house in Chicago. I know houses are not that big in Europe (which is a little bit of a let down, but I think we can learn to live with it ), but the question is if I can afford to buy a house from a salary of a senior programmer, probably near a big city. I would like a house with a garden, I lived all my life in an apartment, and now I am living in a house and I don't really want to get back.

Any advice for me?

Last edited by marioana; 09-13-2013 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:44 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioana View Post
Lately I have been thinking of relocating to Europe, but I am not sure where .... We are 2 Romanians living in Chicago and although we are here for a number of years we don't really feel integrated...Our family and friends are back in Romania, but going back there is not an option considering where that country is heading ...So we were thinking of moving to a western country, taking advantage of both higher quality of life and closeness to home.
The main drawbacks are language and paychecks...
I only know Romanian and English, he knows Romanian, English, Hungarian and can understand German (he used to speak it pretty well but he forgot). I think he could learn pretty easily any other new language, but I am kind of an anti-talent at this, so I don't know... So I think I would rather move to a country where English is understood...
Second is the paycheck...now from my paycheck I can afford a 2 bedroom, 2000 sq house in Chicago. I know houses are not that big in Europe (which is a little bit of a let down, but I think we can learn to live with it ), but the question is if I can afford to buy a house from a salary of a senior programmer, probably near a big city. I would like a house with a garden, I lived all my life in an apartment, and now I am living in a house and I don't really want to get back.

Any advice for me?

I think that answers your question. Another option might be the U.K., but Germany is doing better.

Maybe Denmark, Sweden or Norway would be an option if you speak English. It looks to me like it would be, but I don't know. However, they might lack a big city.. since you're living in Chicago.. you're not gonna find that there.

Good luck

Old 09-13-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I think that answers your question. Another option might be the U.K., but Germany is doing better.

Maybe Denmark, Sweden or Norway would be an option if you speak English. It looks to me like it would be, but I don't know. However, they might lack a big city.. since you're living in Chicago.. you're not gonna find that there.

Good luck
Oh, don't get me wrong...I don't need a big city, I don't even like them. If it were for me I would live somewhere on the top of a mountain if I had Internet . The only problem is that being a software developer the jobs are usually in big cities, so I have to live near a big city ...

Old 09-13-2013, 11:54 AM

257 posts, read 518,128 times
What about the Netherlands? It seems to me they speak English very well and they are also very tolerant. By the way what part of Romania are you from? It is not important, I am just curious :-)

Old 09-13-2013, 12:02 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Are there really that many positions for programmers that don't speak the local language? I guess you'll have to apply for a job in multiple cities/countries anyway.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 PM

257 posts, read 518,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Are there really that many positions for programmers that don't speak the local language? I guess you'll have to apply for a job in multiple cities/countries anyway.
And what about Vienna? It seems to be Vienna is multicultural enough to be a good place to live, not to mention it is close to Romania...

Old 09-13-2013, 12:29 PM

I am from western part of Romania, Timisoara to be more precise.

I know finding a job that doesn't require to know the local language will be hard, but I think it would be easier as a programmer than anything else.

I thought about Vienna, but I was reading a post saying that someone as a senior developer got an offer of around 40.000 euro in Vienna, while he was making over $100.000 in US...The difference seems kind of big....I doubt I can find a decent house in Vienna at 120.000 euro....

Old 09-13-2013, 01:46 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Maybe Austria? Germany is too crowded... and you are not far from home.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:20 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiri View Post
And what about Vienna? It seems to be Vienna is multicultural enough to be a good place to live, not to mention it is close to Romania...
Austria is definitely great, but I don't think that there are too many options for programmers that don't speak German. The only option that comes to my mind would be Bongfish or neo Software (formerly known as Rockstar Vienna). But it's hard to recommend a company when there is hardly any infos on the field you are actually working in.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:42 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Default Ah ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Maybe Austria? Germany is too crowded... and you are not far from home.

Too crowded? Where the hell you live? Antarctica ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe