Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 03:09 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
As many of you know American parents are quite strict when it comes to teen sex.

Blanket statements suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Well it depends on the parents... some parents don't like it at all and don't allow it, others don't like but they prefer their teens do it at home rather than somewhere else, and other parents don't know anything at all about what their kids do (most usual situation)

I think that things have changed a lot in the last years, now teens start sexual life earlier than before, but there are more information about safe sex as well. But in my opinion and regarding what happens around me, parents don't usually know where and when their sons/daughters have sex.

Sounds exactly how I'd describe American parents.

You hope your kids aren't doing it, but if they are you probably won't know and if you do...what can you really do about it? Give them the safety talks and hope for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
What is necessary for Americans and other Anglo Saxon people to understand, is that, apart from the UK, there is not really such a thng as casual sex in Continental Europe (having "friends with benefit" is unheard of, mostly) and the further South you go, the less liberal society remains towards sex in general. So even if European parents on the surface seem liberal, that doesn't mean they accept that their children (boys and girls alike, it's probably worse for the girls) lead a promiscuous life (meaning having "frinds with benefits" or dating different partners all the time). On the other hand, if sonny or little princess have a regular partner, they are quite tolerant with the situation generally, they can even come to sleep at home (provided the parents don't hear some...noises at night, the threshold of affectation , in middle class at least, sinks fast then) and don't need to be married. My wild guess is that parents, even those who are in favor of gay marriage, don't accept this as readily in case their children are homosexual.
In a general sense, one could say Continental European parents are more hypocrites than Anglo Saxon ones, and that under the veneer of tolerance lurks a generally conservative attitude.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I think one of the reasons people outside the US think Americans (and American parents more precisely) have hang-ups about their kids and sex is that they hear about purity balls, purity rings, purity marches, and also stuff like scandals and opposition to vaccinating elementary school kids for the human papilloma (?) virus, etc.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:34 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
Don't you just love it when a thread goes off topic?

To get back to the point what are european attitudes toward their teen children having sex? Is it something to be hidden as in america or something natural? And do the allow their teens to have sleepovers with their boyfriend/girlfriend in their house?
Yeah what thread doesn't go off topic, I go with the flow...

Old 09-20-2013, 12:32 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
American parents are NOT strict. I come from a REAL strict Caribbean Christian family and the things American parents allow their teens to do are unfathomable to us. Just thought I'd clear that up as an American of a different ethnic persuasion. American parents are right up with there with Europeans. The only difference is Europeans don't put up with their kid's crap and physically disciplines them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe