Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 02:52 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,871,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
you unionists would really benefit from a widening of the mind

its a very interesting question posed by the OP

Russia is a fascinating place
Hyprocitical of you to say that when you constantly criticse a people you have no clue about.

Now stop dragging this thread off topic.

Last edited by Mac15; 09-20-2013 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM

750 posts, read 907,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Differs from ethnic Russkies in what way?
Good joke, hа.
Yes, someone from can seem, that it is the characteristic of Russians, but inside of Russia distinctions such as: if you think, that Russian differ from you - to present Caucasians increase this difference by three. Or five.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:49 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
With Russia being a ginormous continent-sized nation, I always found it hard to believe that there will be a strong degree of uniformity amongst the people of this great land that stretches nearly half way around the world in terms of lifestyle, orientation, attitudes to life, behavior, and collective mentality.

What I would like to ask people in this thread - particularly those who have spent extensive amounts of time within the country to let me know if I am correct or not in suspecting if there are general differences when it comes to the lifestyles, orientations, attitudes to life, behavior, and collective mentality amongst people living in its various regions, whether when you're comparing people living in the Central (where Moscow is), Northwest (where St. Petersburg is), Volga region (where places like Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod, and Samara are), South (like Rostov-on-Don, Krasnodar, and Sochi), North Caucasus (Chechnya and Dagestan), Urals (Yekaterinburg, Chelyabinsk), Siberia (Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk, Irkutsk), or the Far East (Khabarovsk and Vladivostok)? What's your opinion regarding the peoples that live in these regions when it comes to this? Please let me know as best as you could. Sorry I couldn't resist asking this cause I've heard people from (for example) the Far East mentioning that they are quite different from people living in Moscow and etc... Thanks.
Russians live throughout the whole country (ethnic regions including) and their culture serves as the unifying force for everyone. While there is a difference of course within different regions ( that is if we are talking about regions populated mostly by Russians,) but in this case the biggest difference would be still probably between Moscow and the rest of the country. Moscow is like a country within the country, and it increasingly becomes just a commercial area where everyone is coming to make money or to find a job, since all banks are there and all money are there. Everything what was making Moscow an old European city with its own distinctive history, culture and architecture seems to be gradually disappearing, while the city is turning more and more in some mechanic multi-ethnic megalopolis. Hence the attitude of the rest of the country towards Moscovites ( or basically everyone who resides there) is that these are people who live the privileged lives full of corruption, who are cold and selfish.
Even before all this happened, Moscow always had a reputation of a privileged city, with very rude and snobbish inhabitants. Which ( I can attest to it) in many ways was true. Living in Moscow one might find oneself being confined to a certain island of a comfort zone, dealing only with people one chooses and going to certain places, while completely ignoring the rest. To me dealing with Russians in Siberia ( or people from the Russian Far East) for example was the whole cultural discovery - how friendly, hospitable and laid-back they were comparably to Moscovites. Even in the big cities the passer-byes would take their time to explain you directions in the best possible way, instead of grumbling something quickly. Russians from Southern regions made similar impression on me, although they came across as somewhat more quick-tempered and agile. I wouldn't know much about the central regions of Russia or the ethnic republics with predominantly muslim population such as Tatarstan for example, although I'm sure there should be a slight difference in culture overall, even comparably to the areas with the mixed population of Russians and native people of Siberia ( there things don't seem to be too different comparably to the rest of Russia.)
Now Northern Caucasus - that's the whole different story.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:02 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Differs from ethnic Russkies in what way?
To make the long story short Ariete, Northern Caucasians are Middle Easterners and they are in many ways as close to Arabs as it gets, although they don't quite look like ones.
Most likely it has got anything and everything to do with the history of conquest of Caucasus by Arab tribes in 7th ( I believe) century, so you are basically dealing with their descendants (mixed with local population) and explosive issue of Islam that they prefer to adhere to in most divisive and aggressive way. Comparably to the rest of muslim population of Russia that traditionally was there for centuries without causing any particular problem, it's a combustive combination, taking in consideration the militant and aggressive nature of Northern Caucasians.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:44 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
As Russia is not part of Europe this question is irrelevant.
Russia being culturally European with 85% of the people living in Europe is as European as Portugal or Greece. Just because Russia conquered Sibiria around 400 years ago does not make it Asian.

I really don't know what they teach you in school.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I don't think this is a question about "diversity", but about the way lifestyle has evolved historically in different regions, or differs according to climate or other natural facltors. Everyone knows that Mississippi and Montana and Maine and Michigan are very different places within the fabric of the USA, and that has absolutely nothing to do with echnicity or diversity or racism.

The OP's question (I hope) addresses Russia and the typical cultures and lifestyles of its different regionalities, and not just another of the millions of C-D race-bashing threads that everybody loves so much.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:16 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't think this is a question about "diversity", but about the way lifestyle has evolved historically in different regions, or differs according to climate or other natural facltors. Everyone knows that Mississippi and Montana and Maine and Michigan are very different places within the fabric of the USA, and that has absolutely nothing to do with echnicity or diversity or racism.

The OP's question (I hope) addresses Russia and the typical cultures and lifestyles of its different regionalities, and not just another of the millions of C-D race-bashing threads that everybody loves so much.
I definitely did NOT intend any bashing on this thread, and it was only done out of genuine curiosity regarding Russia and its inhabitants and regions... And you definitely summed up what I was trying to get at with this thread in your first paragraph...

Carry on everyone!

Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
To make the long story short Ariete, Northern Caucasians are Middle Easterners and they are in many ways as close to Arabs as it gets, although they don't quite look like ones.
Most likely it has got anything and everything to do with the history of conquest of Caucasus by Arab tribes in 7th ( I believe) century, so you are basically dealing with their descendants (mixed with local population) and explosive issue of Islam that they prefer to adhere to in most divisive and aggressive way. Comparably to the rest of muslim population of Russia that traditionally was there for centuries without causing any particular problem, it's a combustive combination, taking in consideration the militant and aggressive nature of Northern Caucasians.
Thanks for the enlightening two posts on the matter man. I hope there are more people who can expound on this topic as well as you have.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:03 PM

11 posts, read 21,790 times
Russia is no a part of Europe, but the most part of Russian land is in Asia, and a little part is in Europe, and Russians live in the European side, in the east are mostly ethnic minorities.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:30 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Differences? well, the choice actually is between cold, very cold and icy cold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe