Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 01:26 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
LOL.
Nice to hear the fit thing.
well, compared to people in my country (USA), Spaniards are fit.

Quote:
I have always wondered how we sound to foreigners, the accent and that stuff, those two words are very well known yeah
well, compared to Mexican spanish (which is what I am use to since I am of Mexican ancestry), peninsula spanish is lipsy compared to Mexican spanish. however, it's still comprehendable, unlike caribbean spanish.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:08 PM

603 posts, read 1,631,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
Spain is....

• more "exotic", "arid" and "wild" than France
  • more "stern" and "honest" than Italy
  • more "cosmopolitan", "hedonistic" and "modern" than Greece but not modern than other European countries
  • more "advanced" and "enthusiastic" than Portugal
  • more "chaotic" and "noisy" than Germany
  • more "traditional" and "passionate" than the UK

I agree with most of this.

Just need to add one or a few adjustments to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Poorer than the UK, more corrupt than the UK, higher unemployment than the UK, less competitive than the UK, less innovative than the UK, more child poverty than the UK, massive exodus to the UK (Spaniards are the new Poles).
Totally agreed.

In my opinion they are not only old fashion and traditional than most countries (except Portugal, Malta, Sicily, Greece and Cyprus).

But are also more poorer, skinner, less creative, more aggressive than other countries (except Portugal, Malta, Sicily Greece and Cyprus again).

They are also mostly distant looking from other Europeans along with Portuguese, Sicilians, Maltese, Greeks and Cypriots.

Quote:
LOL.
Nice to hear the fit thing.
I have always wondered how we sound to foreigners, the accent and that stuff, those two words are very well known yeah

It looks like a poem.
You Spaniards sound very very different and quite distant to a lot of foreigners in the world except for people from the Mediterranean proper (Portugal, Sicily, Malta, Sardinia, Greece, Cyprus and Turkey), the Maghreb (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia), North Egypt, The Levant (Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria), parts of the Arabian peninsula (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates and Qatar), the Mesopotamian (Iraq), Persian countries (such for example Iran, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan and Afghanistan), South Asian countries (Pakistan, Kashmir and North India) and Latin America (Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Chile, Peru, Argentina, Costa Rico, Cuba and Puerto Rico).

LOL, No it is more than just a poem.

More like a judgement of truth.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:11 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post

You Spaniards sound very very different and quite distant to a lot of foreigners in the world except for people from the Mediterranean proper (Portugal, Sicily, Malta, Sardinia, Greece, Cyprus and Turkey), the Maghreb (Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia), North Egypt, The Levant (Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria), parts of the Arabian peninsula (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates and Qatar), the Mesopotamian (Iraq), Persian countries (such for example Iran, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan and Afghanistan), South Asian countries (Pakistan, Kashmir and North India) and Latin America (Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Chile, Peru, Argentina, Costa Rico, Cuba and Puerto Rico).

LOL, No it is more than just a poem.

More like a judgement of truth.
In your line

It seems that you have met and spoke to all those nationalities and you even remember their accent.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:27 PM

603 posts, read 1,631,096 times
Quote:
In your line

It seems that you have met and spoke to all those nationalities and you even remember their accent.
LOL, Do not be so surprised.

Yes, Many of those nationalities and their accents have also sounded much more foreign than many others which did not sound as foreign, sorry but truth to be told.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:36 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
well, compared to Mexican spanish (which is what I am use to since I am of Mexican ancestry), peninsula spanish is lipsy compared to Mexican spanish. however, it's still comprehendable, unlike caribbean spanish.
Yeah I have some friends who study Spanish as a second language and they say the European one is hardest to understand than the Americas one. What does lipsy mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloxias View Post
LOL, Do not be so surprised.

Yes, Many of those nationalities and their accents have also sounded much more foreign than many others which did not sound as foreign, sorry but truth to be told.
Is that offensive? not for most of people... I don't have problem about sounding foreigner. for us is nice.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,354 times
Quote:
Yeah I have some friends who study Spanish as a second language and they say the European one is hardest to understand than the Americas one. What does lipsy mean?
I am just giving you a hard time of how spaniards like to put emphasis on c sounds that sound like th in english. but i disagree that european spanish is harder to understand, at least in the academics. mexican academics like to use loads of archaic words in spanish that are a nightmare for the ones whose spanish isn't as strong as it should be, lol.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
I am just giving you a hard time of how spaniards like to put emphasis on c sounds that sound like th in english. but i disagree that european spanish is harder to understand, at least in the academics. mexican academics like to use loads of archaic words in spanish that are a nightmare for the ones whose spanish isn't as strong as it should be, lol.
Yet, the Spanish every American learns is academic Mexican Spanish. Also considering the plethora of Mexican TV programming in the US, Mexican Spanish should be the easiest to learn for Americans just by exposure alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagus Crows View Post
Many things written in the last posts are only generalizations.
It is, without a doubt, my post is the only one based on fact, not opinion

Old 11-11-2013, 06:57 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Cat, I'm a native Spanish speaker and from Latin America and even I sometimes have problems understanding the peninsulares north of Andalucía. The only people I can most easily understand are from the Canaries. Of course, Canary Spanish and Puerto Rico/Caribbean Spanish are almost identical . Spaniards north of Andalucía, to my ears, speak a combination of fast Spanish and mumbling too much. WhenIlistentoSpanishTVit'slikereadingsentencesthat havenospacesinbetweenwords.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 AM

50 posts, read 101,982 times
Like i said, mostly generalizations.

How on earth are Iberian countries more traditional than the UK?

And what does "more agressive means"?

And what "more advanced" means?

Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 AM

52 posts, read 85,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
What about the 750.000 britons (mostly elderly) retiring and living in spain..

There are more, also kids...I'd say there are 2.000.000, many are working, Life quality is nicer, more so if you hate nasty weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe