Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 08:47 AM

260 posts, read 428,008 times

Advertisements

I've thought a lot about it, and I would love to visit Albania. I am learning the language now, and downloading the lessons on my ipod so I can learn wherever I go. I've done a lot of research on Albania, and have learned that like everywhere else, it has its good and bad parts. I want to visit the southwestern parts especially, but am also very interested in Berat. I am slightly interested in Tirana.
I have less than $5,000 in savings but I don't have any bills to pay at home since I live with my parents. I'm a bit shy, but I suppose I'll have to get over it since I'll need to talk to people abroad. Eventually, if I visit and get a taste of what life there is really like, I might want to move there. So I suppose my question is... For people who have been to or living in Albania, what is it like? I know it's a poorer country, which suits me fine since I'm poor myself. I will want to get a job there which won't be exactly easy for me since I'm all the way over here in the US! Is it worth it to pursue Albania? I have a family history there, even though I don't know anyone there but would like to explore the land and culture. Let me know what you think! Faleminderit~~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:06 AM

72 posts, read 138,109 times
Why Albania? its one of the poorest countries in Europe...the average wage in AL is 350USD a month(and the minimum wage is 20,000 Leks which is not even 200USD)! Its not an EU country...I don't see any reason on earth why someone will want to live in Albania!
In my opinion it is a bad decision to move to AL ...Its very poor country and I don't thing you will love Albania there are plenty of rich and nice European countries that I am sure you will love...but I don't thing at all that you will find what you are looking for in Albania...

"In Albania, approximately 60% of the population lives in rural areas. It is the poorest country in Europe and very few people can afford to live in urban areas. Most people are farmers and depend on the crops from their farms to sustain themselves. "

Last edited by Daniel19; 11-07-2013 at 09:16 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 11:36 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Albania is the last country i would live in Europe.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,077,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel19 View Post
Why Albania? its one of the poorest countries in Europe...the average wage in AL is 350USD a month(and the minimum wage is 20,000 Leks which is not even 200USD)! Its not an EU country...I don't see any reason on earth why someone will want to live in Albania!
In my opinion it is a bad decision to move to AL ...Its very poor country and I don't thing you will love Albania there are plenty of rich and nice European countries that I am sure you will love...but I don't thing at all that you will find what you are looking for in Albania...

"In Albania, approximately 60% of the population lives in rural areas. It is the poorest country in Europe and very few people can afford to live in urban areas. Most people are farmers and depend on the crops from their farms to sustain themselves. "
Daniel give us examples where to live in Europe?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by istanbulmert View Post
Daniel give us examples where to live in Europe?
What do you mean?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:48 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,077,869 times
u said that there are plenty of european countries which are nicer and richer than Albania so I asked you to give an example nicer and richer countries in europe?How do you define nice of a country?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by istanbulmert View Post
u said that there are plenty of european countries which are nicer and richer than Albania so I asked you to give an example nicer and richer countries in europe?How do you define nice of a country?
Well there are too many nice countries in Europe haha
Nice is when the people in the country are living good and happy about their life.. a safe country with high standards of living ....country in which life is easy...its when you have a lot of options, good education ,good healthcare and when you don't have to work a lot for a normal salary and when salaries are high and you don't have to worry to much about your economical position ...its when prices are reasonable and matching with the wages ...there are many definitions of a nice country....
Example of nice countries in Europe (random)-
Norway, Sweden ,Finland, Denmark, Iceland ,Ireland, the UK ,France, Italy ,the Netherlands, Belgium ,Luxembourg ,Austria ,Switzerland,Germany .................................................. ...

Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 PM

260 posts, read 428,008 times
Yeah, I completely agree with you guys. I do like those other countries, but my family has roots in Albania and that's why I chose the country. I'm not much better off in the US, since I've been unemployed for a very long time. Is it worth it to volunteer in Albania to have a taste? I would stay away from the northeastern part definitely, since I've only heard bad things about that area. But I've heard that the southwestern parts especially were pretty decent, and Tirana doesn't sound so bad either from what I've heard (except the poor public transportation and aggressive drivers!). I'm not looking to get rich or anything, but just have a quality of life where I don't have to pay a ridiculous amount of taxes and worship the government. I know Albania wouldn't be the first place on most people's list, but the only reason I'm dwelling on it is because that's where my family came from, so it's just kind of special to me. Also I haven't seen many employment opportunities anyway, so Albania may just have to be a place to visit someday when I can afford it!

Old 11-07-2013, 11:39 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
I've been unemployed for a very long time. Is it worth it to volunteer in Albania to have a taste?
You do realize that even Albania has some Visa restrictions? Without the proper education it will be incredibly hard to find a job there. Especially when you can't speak the language.

Quote:
I'm not looking to get rich or anything, but just have a quality of life where I don't have to pay a ridiculous amount of taxes and worship the government.
I guess after a while in Albania you'll wish to worship the US administration again

Albania Ranked Europe's Most Corrupt Country :: Balkan Insight

Old 11-08-2013, 02:59 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Quote:
Yeah, I completely agree with you guys. I do like those other countries, but my family has roots in Albania and that's why I chose the country. I'm not much better off in the US, since I've been unemployed for a very long time. Is it worth it to volunteer in Albania to have a taste? I would stay away from the northeastern part definitely, since I've only heard bad things about that area. But I've heard that the southwestern parts especially were pretty decent, and Tirana doesn't sound so bad either from what I've heard (except the poor public transportation and aggressive drivers!). I'm not looking to get rich or anything, but just have a quality of life where I don't have to pay a ridiculous amount of taxes and worship the government. I know Albania wouldn't be the first place on most people's list, but the only reason I'm dwelling on it is because that's where my family came from, so it's just kind of special to me. Also I haven't seen many employment opportunities anyway, so Albania may just have to be a place to visit someday when I can afford it!
If you are unemployed for a long time, why don't you get some further education? In addition now is a time to start a business too. Once you can do that, it be a better opportunity to move to Albania, as the skill level of you would be better or you would have more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe