Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 04:30 PM

993 posts, read 1,932,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Yes, you ARE intolerant. It is okay to be religious, as long as they stay away from in their own little pockets, or ghettos if you will. Why don't we just build a big wall around them so you will never be confronted with them and they can never get out and bother you?
So you want the streets filled with gay-hating hell-preachers and fundamentalists, putting up gigantic billboards with some of the most hateful messages you can think of, some of whom may even be illegal in your country the Netherlands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 04:37 PM

824 posts, read 1,243,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
So you want the streets filled with gay-hating hell-preachers and fundamentalists, putting up gigantic billboards with some of the most hateful messages you can think of, some of whom may not even be legal in your country the Netherlands?
In Holland denying the Holocaust is illegal. Yet there are people who think it never happened. We do not see them, because they are banned to make their claim.

So, there is a third option to this issue. That is to allow these people (the ones you called the religious insane ones) to live as free on this earth as you and me, and control what they can and cannot say.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
In Holland denying the Holocaust is illegal. Yet there are people who think it never happened. We do not see them, because they are banned to make their claim.

So, there is a third option to this issue. That is to allow these people (the ones you called the religious insane ones) to live as free on this earth as you and me, and control what they can and cannot say.
I rather prefer that those people are unseen, like they are now. In that way they will not bother normal people with their hatred. Similarly in Sweden, handing out anti-gay flyers is illegal, some people for a while did that and got a suspended sentence and a fine, and they even lost at the European Court of Human Rights who approved of the Swedish sentence. I assume that most Europeans are in support of laws against Holocaust denial.

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-14-2013 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Unnecessary

Old 11-13-2013, 05:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,154,008 times
Quote:
I rather prefer that those people are unseen, like they are now. In that way they will not bother normal people with their hatred.
I don't believe people have a right to not get offended. There are some very weird people and views in the world. I'd rather it be clear who's the one with them than surpressed.

And where do we draw the line at what counts as anti-gay or not? Some posters on the Europe forums have said it's wrong for gays to adopt children, and children need two parents of opposite gender. Maybe that could be interperted as anti-gay. I wouldn't want any government body deciding what is acceptable speech or not, except maybe for speech that could provoke a riot or similar.

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-14-2013 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to an edited post

Old 11-13-2013, 05:00 PM

824 posts, read 1,243,428 times
Quote:
I rather prefer that those people are unseen, like they are now. In that way they will not bother normal people with their hatred.
That is what I said, not that I am against the European Holocaust laws.

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-14-2013 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - Response to an edited post

Old 11-13-2013, 05:14 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,012,810 times
"I have no tolerance for the intolerant" - Me, 2013.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't believe people have a right to not get offended. There are some very weird people and views in the world. I'd rather it be clear who's the one with them than surpressed.

And where do we draw the line at what counts as anti-gay or not? Some posters on the Europe forums have said it's wrong for gays to adopt children, and children need two parents of opposite gender. Maybe that could be interperted as anti-gay. I wouldn't want any government body deciding what is acceptable speech or not, except maybe for speech that could provoke a riot or similar.
Well, in many western countries, mainly in Europe, you do to some extent have the right to not be offended, and I fully support those laws. For example Holocaust denial laws and anti-nazi laws is there so that people offended by the Holocaust will not be offended. Laws against homophobia is there so that gays and those supporting gay rights will not be offended. Laws in much of Eastern Europe against the display of the Hammer and Sickle symbol is there so that people offended by Soviet Communism will not be offended.

There is however not any fundamental right to not be offended, it's only on a few select issues that are considered as too offensive to be legal. It does not work the other was around, a fundamentalist protestant pastor does not have the right to not be offended by gay marriage and open atheism.

Take the Ã…ke Green trials for example, where I think the sentences by the Swedish courts was fully justified, aganst 1 very hateful fundamentalist.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-13-2013 at 05:29 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,380,277 times

Old 11-13-2013, 05:37 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,012,810 times
Nice hat invincibl3, where did you get it?

Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 PM

7,646 posts, read 18,044,573 times
Quote:
So you want the streets filled with gay-hating hell-preachers and fundamentalists, putting up gigantic billboards with some of the most hateful messages you can think of, some of whom may even be illegal in your country the Netherlands?
I've never seen a billboard with a hateful message on it in the U.S. NEVER. I've seen a street preacher about twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe