Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedster View Post
That is certainly a very interesting and colorful way of explaining your own personal experience of Portuguese! Obviously, Portuguese "forc[ing] your brain to work faster and better" depends on where you are coming from.

As you allude to, the only time you are going to hear the mesoclitic pronouns (inserted in future and conditional tenses between the stem and the personal endings) is in very formal speech. It is also extremely rare to hear native speakers use the fused indirect and direct objects in normal everyday speech. In fact, if you spend any considerable amount of time in Portugal, you will notice that particularly 3rd person direct object pronouns are avoided altogether, e.g. Q: "Acabaste o trabalho?" 'Have you already finished the job?"; A: "Acabei ontem" 'I finished [it] yesterday".
I am German, Germans speak more slowly and clearly, thus I can really wait to hear what someone says to me. With Portuguese I am forced to kind of anticipate what someone will likely say to me. I noticed on several occasions when someone unexpectedly started to talk to me, i.e. when I had no clue what it was about. Within a conversation it is much easier for me to understand Portuguese because my mind can narrow down what the person will reply.

Yes, of course most people speak simplified Portuguese, there are many things in my grammar book that I have never heard in real life here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 PM

614 posts, read 3,210,492 times
In my opinion, spoken Portuguese does not sound like a Romance language at all, but something similar to how Russian sounds except of course none of the vocabulary matches.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Interestingly, Brazilian is easier to understand even if they talk really fast like in this video, which is very funny by the way

TERAPIA DE CASAL - YouTube

Old 12-12-2013, 03:12 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Portuguese from Europe has clipped vowel sounds and distinctive features that make it sound more like a Slavic language by its sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
In my opinion, spoken Portuguese does not sound like a Romance language at all, but something similar to how Russian sounds
I've heard it said that Portuguese sounds like Spanish being spoken by a Russian with a mouthful of oatmeal.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:12 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Interestingly, Brazilian is easier to understand even if they talk really fast like in this video, which is very funny by the way

TERAPIA DE CASAL - YouTube
I can understand only 30-40% of words, even though I could understand 95% of it if lyrics were available.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:32 PM

And if that couple were Portuguese and spoke that fast, you would understand 5-10% I suppose

Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 PM

169 posts, read 293,911 times
Romance languages do indeed have a way to be mutually intelligible. Today's romance languages descend from Latin all of which are part of the Italic branch in linguistics. For instance Italian and French have a 89% lexical similarity (meaning their vocabulary resembles each others nearly 89%). These 2 are indeed the closest amongst the romance languages.
It is true however that many people say Spanish is closer to Italian but that is due to the accent one perceives rather than the actual vocabulary. France as you may know used to been known to the Romans as Gaul and latin was spoken there. The Franks (hence France) were a Germanic tribe which took over France and in doing so they greatly changed the way French is pronounced. However have a look:
French: parler, mettre, sentir, prendre, poser, traduire, attendre,
Italian: parlare, mettere,sentire,prendere,posare,tradurre, attendere,
Spanish: hablar, poner, sentir, tomar, plantear, traducir, esperar,

I tried to line up the words the best I could, now clearly Italian and French are practically identical and Spanish very close and I admit I know next to nothing about Portuguese and Romanian. I did hear Romanian kept Latin's noun declension system (which bring back bad memories of latin class). Point is yes to some degree Romance languages are mutually intelligible however NEVER assume if you learn just one you can speak all five of them (actually if you taken into account regional dialects you have hundreds of Romance Languages even Romansh spoken in Switzerland is a romance language).

Old 02-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Portuguese: falar, pôr, sentir, tomar, plantar, traduzir, esperar

atender exists in Portuguese as well, but it seems to be a false friend, as unlike in French and Italian it means to answer the phone, and to serve a client.

False friends exist between Portuguese and Spanish as well, though. Constipação and constipación are the same word, but in P. it usually means cold (the disease), whereas in Spanish it usually means the same as English constipation. Now, that meaning in P. is prisão de ventre

Last edited by Neuling; 02-20-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 04:05 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,778 times
Italian and French are clearly similar in their written form, Spanish seems closer because both languages (IT and SP) are quite clear phonetically, unlike French which is rather unique in this way.
As a native speaker of Italian, I can understand Spanish if spoken slowly and Portuguese far less.
Romanian very very little.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Portuguese: falar, pôr, sentir, tomar, plantar, traduzir, esperar

atender exists in Portuguese as well, but it seems to be a false friend, as unlike in French and Italian it means to answer the phone, and to serve a client.

False friends exist between Portuguese and Spanish as well, though. Constipação and constipación are the same word, but in P. it usually means cold (the disease), whereas in Spanish it usually means the same as English constipation. Now, that meaning in P. is prisão de ventre
Sorry to quote myself, but I just noticed something funny: in English to wait means both to wait for something and to serve someone, like in waitress, seems to be the same as atender in those four Romance languages despite the different meanings. Odd, I wonder which meaning is older, and why the younger one developed Maybe because the servants in the Middle Ages had to wait so much when serving meals to noble people, i.e. waiting on tables
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe