Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 03:14 PM

4,541 posts, read 6,304,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why are these "bizarre"?
Well, most of them look quite tasty, but "Herring Under Fur Coat"...? And I guess Kishka also wouldn't be my thing... Looks suspiciously similar to boiled Leberwurst... Blutwurst's (which at least tastes awesome...) ugly cuisine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 03:17 PM

102,059 posts, read 106,870,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, most of them look quite tasty, but "Herring Under Fur Coat"...? And I guess Kishka also wouldn't be my thing... Looks suspiciously similar to boiled Leberwurst... Blutwurst's (which at least tastes awesome...) ugly cuisine
Well, I'm not a fan of herring, but it could be any fish-based pirog. Someone just gave it a weird name as a bad joke, that's all.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:17 PM

2,620 posts, read 3,434,763 times
Not all of mentioned foods are Russian. Varenyky and salo have Ukrainian roots, kishka has Belarussian roots.
P.S. Kishka means gut both in Russian and Belarussian.

Last edited by Max96; 12-01-2013 at 03:31 PM..

Old 12-01-2013, 09:41 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,239,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
17 Bizarre Foods Every Russian Grew Up With

I can say that most of them are also very popular here in Belarus, though I personally do not like some of them.
Hmm, let's see..
Bliny with caviar? Never in my time; caviar was always consumed with bread and butter, bliny with sour cream or something sweet. To combine bliny with caviar sounded like something from Imperial times, something decadent and unnecessary.

Herring "under coat"? Yeah, if herring was not of particularly good quality all those onions-beets on top of it could help to taste it better; I could attest to it eating at someone else's places, but at my place, where herring was consumed only during some celebrations, the quality of it was always good, so no toppings - just oil and raw onions as far as I remember.

Doctorskaya ( i.e. bolognia sausage) was highly despised in my family as a product of suspicious origin, so nope, may be only once in a great while fried with eggs. Needless to say I avoid bolognia in the US as well, which brings me to the next topic of "Olivye salad," which was dubbed as "Russian salad" when sold in Italy. I still fix it by family recipe with boiled meat ( it can be made with chicken) and don't touch "potato salad" in the US, because these two are simply incomparable in my opinion.

"Pickled everything?" My paternal grand-parents who had awesome dacha had all kinds of fruits and vegetables growing there, and they were making home-made stuff from jams to "pickled everything."
My grand-mother was very old-fashioned, (coming from the family of "old-believers" ( старообрядцы)) and her cooking was out of this world, from stuffed fish to fried pastries and everything in-between; taught by her mother who was still around when I was about five, so I was probably having a taste of cuisine from Imperial Russia as close as it gets)))

Next item- kholodetz ( aspic) - is nothing exotic, came to Russia from France most likely, like few other things.

That pig fat ( i.e.) salo is worthless without Russian black bread as far as I am concerned, and the closest thing to it that I've found was German pumpernickel, but it has different texture. So salo with pumpernickel would probably work just fine. This is one of the rare occasion when pig's meat ( or rather fat) was used on a common basis; overall I don't think that pork is used as often in Russian cuisine comparably to German one. ( Or may be it was just my family? I dunno, but I've got an impression that German cuisine has much more use for it.)

Now here goes kvas.. Kvas is the best thing that ever happened to Russia in summer time and no Coca-Pepsi ( and even Mountain Dew - yes, I've said it ) will ever come close to the taste and quality of it, not to mention that it's an all-natural product.

Okroshka with kefir? Never heard of it, in my days it was always made with kvas and kvas only. See, Russians have to have their soup, winter or not, and since many of them don't endure the summer heat very well, here comes the COLD soup, based on mentioned-above kvas and stuffed with fresh vegetables. Not my kind of thing, but I had to comply.
Solyanka is yet another hot soup in the whole family of other Russian soups, so it's all good, (particularly fish solyanka with black olives including. Used to be served mainly in good restaurants only.

Kisel and compot are great for children. Beats artificial bottled soda any time and serves simultaneously as dessert, which makes it all different from plain juice. Yet as juice, both are based on all natural ingredients only ( minus gelatin in kisel.)

And what the heck is "kishka?" Never heard of it in my entire life, but I tell you what, when I was seven or so, the blood sausage was still around, so was liver sausage and head-cheese ( that's the closest I can describe it, but in the US it's totally void of any taste.) I'm sure Germans call it something else, but in Russia it has been called "Zeltz" sausage. They were all gone one by one by the time I was eleven or twelve I guess. But "kishka?" Doesn't ring a bell at all.

P.S. Number 15 is just bleh, always hated it with passion.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why are these "bizarre"? Many of these are great! Kompot is fabulous! And someone's turning up their nose at caviar and sour cream?! I'll tell you what's gross--German blood sausage! "German cuisine" is an oxymoron.
Ha-ha, NOT.
Their food tastes awesome and home-made cooking reminded me of ours up to a certain degree but with a twist. Like for example they use sour cabbage, too, but in a different way, so it gives a different spin to a dish. The only thing I found to be very different was boiled pork. ( But I guess it depends on a region in Germany.) That would be something very unusual for Russia. Then Russian specialty sausages/meats - smoked and what's not - I can only think of Germany with all the variety of it. Russia has less variety of course, ( I wonder if any of it is even around today, because as I've said all that traditional Russian stuff disappeared by the middle of the seventies, and then reappeared, shortly, in the middle of the eighties.)

And then no one can beat Germany when it's coming to sweets - that's for sure; Russia is coming only second close)))

Old 12-02-2013, 12:57 AM

674 posts, read 934,008 times
As for me, I really dislike "herring under fur coat" and Olivier salad, but those are very popular foods for different celebrations here, like New Year.
I also dislike pickled tomatoes and Doctorskaya Bologna. Pickled mushrooms are good though, just like any kind of mushrooms)
Kvas is really awesome and really popular here. Just as kefir which is not mentioned in the article.
Vinaigrette is great, salo with rye bread is also cool.
Okroshka and solyanka -- I know what they are, but hardly ever eat them. They don't really appeal to me.
Kishka -- someone said here it's Belarusian, but it's not familiar to me.

For me most of these foods are not bizarre, as I'm quite used to them, but the author (a Russian, judging by her name) probably thinks that they should seem strange for a typical Westerner...

Old 12-02-2013, 07:05 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,646,382 times
I have to admit, most of those dishes look foul, maybe due to the fact I don't like herring. Solyanka is good, and we have kissel here as well, it's ok. Excellent if you leave the berries whole. Vinaigrette looks like something that we eat on Christmas, but the cabbage is switched with apple. The potato salad is always good.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:49 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Ha-ha, NOT.
Their food tastes awesome and home-made cooking reminded me of ours up to a certain degree but with a twist. Like for example they use sour cabbage, too, but in a different way, so it gives a different spin to a dish. The only thing I found to be very different was boiled pork. ( But I guess it depends on a region in Germany.) That would be something very unusual for Russia. Then Russian specialty sausages/meats - smoked and what's not - I can only think of Germany with all the variety of it. Russia has less variety of course, ( I wonder if any of it is even around today, because as I've said all that traditional Russian stuff disappeared by the middle of the seventies, and then reappeared, shortly, in the middle of the eighties.)

And then no one can beat Germany when it's coming to sweets - that's for sure; Russia is coming only second close)))
I agree with this entire post! I LOVE most German foods. And many of their recipes are very complex and detailed and require some special tools - it's a highly developed cuisine.

And OMG the pastries...and the cheese...and the breads...Lord help me. I gained ten pounds in the three years I lived there, even though I lived on the fourth floor (no elevator) and walked EVERYWHERE. But the whipped cream...the bread...the butter...I miss it!

Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I have to admit, most of those dishes look foul, maybe due to the fact I don't like herring. Solyanka is good, and we have kissel here as well, it's ok. Excellent if you leave the berries whole. Vinaigrette looks like something that we eat on Christmas, but the cabbage is switched with apple. The potato salad is always good.

But that's why the author referred to those dishes as "weird."
( And I don't like salted herring as well, since I don't care for vodka either.)))

These pics, however, depict Russian cuisine overall much better, and herring is not even present here as you can see...

https://www.google.com/search?q=%D0%...w=1016&bih=593

Old 12-02-2013, 02:51 PM

270 posts, read 590,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

You won't find carp on many tables during Christmas outside of this region!
You'll find it in Austria and parts of Germany too. It's an old tradition in Catholic families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe