U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 PM

146 posts, read 157,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
US never won a war and that's the reason why they call French like this (they are jealous we won more than 600 battles).
US lose all the time:
Long Island, Irak, Viet, Afgha, Syria and so on.

WWI and II are absolutely not thanks to the US. They always wait millions people die and come at the end of the war.
+1.
BTW, it is a historic fact that US banks owned by former president Bush family sponsored Hitler and his party.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:26 PM

78 posts, read 166,582 times
I'll tell you why. As someone who is very familiar with both French and American cultures, the answer is quite simple.

French culture, while beautiful and refined in many ways is overly feminine. This is a product of the many centuries of "civilization" espoused by the French monarchy and elitist mantality where everything must be dainty, polished, pretty and refined. The French culture in contrast to American culture is gentle and soft. It may not have been the case hundreds of years ago during the middle ages, but after so many years of upholding these "refined" "civilized" and "just" qualities has lead to the creation of a beautiful but very feminine and therefore by American standards "weak" culture.

America is not exempt from this either, but in comparisson to France it is much more rough, bold, strong and masculine. Again it is not always the case in America especially in the modern age, but historically it has been with the adventuresome spirit of the western frontier, industry and competition versus the former case

Old 12-31-2013, 10:03 PM

15,044 posts, read 13,637,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyEX View Post
I'll tell you why. As someone who is very familiar with both French and American cultures, the answer is quite simple.

French culture, while beautiful and refined in many ways is overly feminine. This is a product of the many centuries of "civilization" espoused by the French monarchy and elitist mantality where everything must be dainty, polished, pretty and refined. The French culture in contrast to American culture is gentle and soft. It may not have been the case hundreds of years ago during the middle ages, but after so many years of upholding these "refined" "civilized" and "just" qualities has lead to the creation of a beautiful but very feminine and therefore by American standards "weak" culture.

America is not exempt from this either, but in comparisson to France it is much more rough, bold, strong and masculine. Again it is not always the case in America especially in the modern age, but historically it has been with the adventuresome spirit of the western frontier, industry and competition versus the former case
I'd put it in a slightly different way; French culture comes across as a soul of a poet/musician, where America has a soul of a practical industrialist with all its " bold and adventuresome spirit of western frontier."
( Sorry, the "masculinity" part as a foundation of national character I would still reserve for Germans or even Russians in this respect.)

Old 01-01-2014, 02:23 AM

2,268 posts, read 2,468,411 times
Having been around French long distance solo sailors and French climbers I have to say they were all scary bold.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:41 AM

2,189 posts, read 4,717,030 times
Quote:
US never won a war and that's the reason why they call French like this (they are jealous we won more than 600 battles).
US lose all the time:
Long Island, Irak, Viet, Afgha, Syria and so on.

WWI and II are absolutely not thanks to the US. They always wait millions people die and come at the end of the war.

Hello Frenchman,

I don't really understand your post.

Irak War - How exactly did the U.S. not win ?

Vietnam - Sadly, this was a war the U.S. did not want to win. Vietnam was a poor 3rd world country. The U.S. had resources back then that Vietnam dosen't even have today. The U.S. hugely outnumbered Vietnam in everything.. from Weapons to troops.

Afghanistan - Again, how exactly did the U.S. not win ?

Syria - that's a civil war. Look up the definition. Also, I would like to know how the U.S. was involved in the Syrian civil war and lost. The U.S. didn't even start an intervention.

The Battle of France still serves as an example on what not to do in a war. You rolled out the red carpet to the Nazis. You even had enough Nazis fans in your own country so they could set up a puppet state.
If nobody had helped you, you'd now be département d'allemand. There are not many other examples in history of such a glory, quick and defenseless downfall.
And I'm not even gonna go into the details of WW1, but there was an invasion of France in 1915, where France went down pretty quickly, too.

Won over 600 battles? Lol? It's funny you'd even cite this number. Care to provide proof? Care to consider that the U.S. has only 2 neighbors and was/is far away from war happy countries like Europe ? Your garden gnome wars don't count here.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:28 AM

403 posts, read 521,617 times
During WW2, France failed miserably. They thought the Marignot line would protect the country, and they waited for the German to invade the country -along with the Brits, this was a period called the phoney war, when the French and the Brits didn't do sh*t while Germany was busy invading Poland.
They thought the fight would be like during WW1 and they just could stop the Germans from invading Paris. And they were some traitors such as Petain or Laval. But you should not forget about the Résistance French Resistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A lot of people in France were against the Vichy regime, and one of them was Charles de Gaulle. But sadly most did not want to get involved in anything and just lived their lives. I guess it's just normal human behavior. When people see an aggression, most will act as if they didn't see anything. That's why sometimes you hear about rapes in commuter trains. And also people didn't want another war after WW1.

Nevertheless I think it's stupid to judge the French because of what happened during WW2. Might as well call all Germans Nazis and antisemitic.
Most countries did horrible things during WW2. Japan went completely crazy, especially with their experiments in china
Unit 731 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Switzerland banks kept Nazi money. Italy was fascist and an ally of Nazi Germany. Russia was an ally of Germany at the beginning of the war. The US bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki even though Japan was going to capitulate. US soldiers did horrible things in Japan, and they raped French women after D-Day. The axis had the support of Spain.
Most countries should be ashamed for what happened during WW2 (especially Germany and Japan), with maybe the exception of Britain.

Last edited by ryever; 01-01-2014 at 12:05 PM..

Old 01-01-2014, 11:50 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,322,654 times
Quote:
I see another history revisionist has crawled out of the woodwork.

If the U.S. had abstained from WWII, Europe would be living under swastika right now. End of story.

As for France, they rolled over and gave their country to Hitler without firing a single shot. I wouldn't call that "heroic" by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Hello Frenchman,

I don't really understand your post.

Irak War - How exactly did the U.S. not win ?

Vietnam - Sadly, this was a war the U.S. did not want to win. Vietnam was a poor 3rd world country. The U.S. had resources back then that Vietnam dosen't even have today. The U.S. hugely outnumbered Vietnam in everything.. from Weapons to troops.

Afghanistan - Again, how exactly did the U.S. not win ?

Syria - that's a civil war. Look up the definition. Also, I would like to know how the U.S. was involved in the Syrian civil war and lost. The U.S. didn't even start an intervention.

The Battle of France still serves as an example on what not to do in a war. You rolled out the red carpet to the Nazis. You even had enough Nazis fans in your own country so they could set up a puppet state.
If nobody had helped you, you'd now be département d'allemand. There are not many other examples in history of such a glory, quick and defenseless downfall.
And I'm not even gonna go into the details of WW1, but there was an invasion of France in 1915, where France went down pretty quickly, too.

Won over 600 battles? Lol? It's funny you'd even cite this number. Care to provide proof? Care to consider that the U.S. has only 2 neighbors and was/is far away from war happy countries like Europe ? Your garden gnome wars don't count here.
How can you even compare the "wars" in the third world countries, with far more superior technology of the US troops, with American women being able to be "in the vanguard of women serving in the military" with European theater of WWI and WWII?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14869648

Talking about the "garden gnome wars..."

Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,095,038 times
Yes if America didn't intervene Germany would have won BUT if the UK, Russia etc never fought tooth and nail the USA would have had a war on their doorstep. Russia, USA and the UK were ALL needed to win WWII.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:03 PM

[quote=Annuvin;32826999]I see another history revisionist has crawled out of the woodwork.

If the U.S. had abstained from WWII, Europe would be living under swastika right now. End of story.

[quote]

Are you that sure?
What makes you think that they'd be under swastika, not hammer and sickle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or