U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2014, 04:23 AM

54 posts, read 54,703 times

Advertisements

I find it objectionable the French would award Jerry Lewis the Legion of Honor.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:27 PM

21,495 posts, read 11,595,731 times
I don't have an opinion that the French are "cowards". That is just stupid. They have the same amount of cowards in their population as anyone else.

I'm sure they are very well educated and France is a great place. I'll never step foot there because for me it's not worth it. They don't like Americans and they like to make it known. They are just as guilty as ignorant Americans that think they are cowards.

Some years back I took my family on a cruise. One of the stops was St Martin island. The captain of the Princess Cruise ship we were on actually told us to stay away from the French side of the island because "they are a**holes" His exact words. I couldn't believe it. So we stayed on the Dutch side as instructed.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:00 PM

18,477 posts, read 9,561,235 times
How many French soldiers does it take to defend Paris....no one knows, it's never been tried.

I think the French view the USA as tied to their longtime nemeses, the UK...and they're pretty correct in that. The prejudice the English had against French was brought over to America when English emigrated. The fact that it took Hilter a couple days to conquer France when the French had prepared for their attack for years plays into this also. The fact that the French lost in America to the Brits also a factor. Then you add Charles De Galle kicking out American along with the French often taking a different view than Americans (for their own perceived self interest) also a factor.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:06 PM

4,557 posts, read 5,120,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
How many French soldiers does it take to defend Paris....no one knows, it's never been tried.

I think the French view the USA as tied to their longtime nemeses, the UK...and they're pretty correct in that. The prejudice the English had against French was brought over to America when English emigrated. The fact that it took Hilter a couple days to conquer France when the French had prepared for their attack for years plays into this also. The fact that the French lost in America to the Brits also a factor. Then you add Charles De Galle kicking out American along with the French often taking a different view than Americans (for their own perceived self interest) also a factor.
It was (kinda) fun the first time, but you sure don't know when to stop...

Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,459,454 times
Quote:

The battle of France lasted 5 weeks with 92,000 killed French soldiers, compare it with the 3,500 British killed (without counting Lancastria disaster).
Consider that it was the French stubborn resistance at Lille which greatly helped Allies at Dunkerque without considering that the Germans were extremely worried about the roughly 40 French divisions still in arms south of the Somme.
Consider that the bloodiest and hardest part of the campaign for Germans was the crossing of Aisne against FRENCH and only them, when Germans met a stubborn defense and defense in depth coordinated with well placed artillery.
Plus, lost America? France was fighting against Prussia in Europe (against Frederick the Great) whereas in America Britain could send all the forces they have (casually before French reinforcements came, Britons were repeatedly defeated by general Montblanc: have you ever seen The Last of Mohicans?)
Without forgetting that it was thank to France that US won their indipendence.
Plus, "for their own perceived self interest"... didn't USA in the past pursue their own self interest?
Financing Talibans? Pinochet? Cuban embargo? Vietnam? Irak and Afghanistan? The countless Nazi scientists used in US research programs? C'mon mate.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:15 PM

33,881 posts, read 42,096,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickjesus View Post
I find it objectionable the French would award Jerry Lewis the Legion of Honor.
He's a genius in France.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:59 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,150,742 times
Only old people know him in France.
I didn't know who is Jerry Lewis until when I began to frequent forums with American forumers.
This is what is funny about a lot of people, they only know France via outdated stereotypes.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:09 AM

18,477 posts, read 9,561,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
The battle of France lasted 5 weeks with 92,000 killed French soldiers, compare it with the 3,500 British killed (without counting Lancastria disaster).
Consider that it was the French stubborn resistance at Lille which greatly helped Allies at Dunkerque without considering that the Germans were extremely worried about the roughly 40 French divisions still in arms south of the Somme.
Consider that the bloodiest and hardest part of the campaign for Germans was the crossing of Aisne against FRENCH and only them, when Germans met a stubborn defense and defense in depth coordinated with well placed artillery.
Plus, lost America? France was fighting against Prussia in Europe (against Frederick the Great) whereas in America Britain could send all the forces they have (casually before French reinforcements came, Britons were repeatedly defeated by general Montblanc: have you ever seen The Last of Mohicans?)
Without forgetting that it was thank to France that US won their indipendence.
Plus, "for their own perceived self interest"... didn't USA in the past pursue their own self interest?
Financing Talibans? Pinochet? Cuban embargo? Vietnam? Irak and Afghanistan? The countless Nazi scientists used in US research programs? C'mon mate.
Please have a glass of red wine....Argentinian Malbec. Of course France acts in its self interest as does everyone, that's not a knock. I even occasionally agree that the French position is the correct one. Still I would say there is a lack of respect and lack of diplomacy displayed by the French in dealing with the USA for us to consider them an ally as we do the English.

I'm not going to deny historical evidence as many of the Europeans have done with respect to America's role in defeating the Nazis and claim that the French had no role in American Independence. They did, and it was in their self interest at the time as a sharp knife to the British Empire...thanks!

Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,600,804 times
Quote:

We British did have a lot of respect and admiration for the French, who we fought many times and have always had a close relationship with the French.

Today the French and British Military work very closely together as part of the 2010 Anglo French Defence Treaty.

Eurocepticism no bar to close British-French defence ties | Politics | theguardian.com

Last edited by Bamford; 01-16-2014 at 07:16 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,384,690 times
I blame the Iraq War 2.0., when France refused to jump on the American campaign. Since most of the population are unintelligent and totally ignorant of all matters geopolitical or strategic, they interpreted that in the only way their very limited thought processes could: in very basic psychological terms. If those frogs don't want to join Uncle Sam in fighting like evil and stuff it must be because they're yellow-bellied cheese-eating surrender monkeys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or