U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 11:33 PM

240 posts, read 721,996 times

Advertisements

The Mexicans, at least those in the USA, celebrate Cinco De Mayo, when the Mexican army defeated a larger French Army. But as a bit of irony, they do not celebrate the defeat of a French Foreign Legion unit which was made up mostly of non French people.... When the FFL ammo ran out, the few survivors did a bayonet charge against the Mexicans.

In WW ONE, when the French heard that the USA had entered the war, all of a sudden the French Army mutinied and refused to fight. That went on until the Americans arrived and took the point.......that sounds pretty cowardly to me.

In WW TWO, when most of the French Army was still intact, most of France was still free, when the French Navy was not even under fire, the French surrendered. It was up to everyone else to fight the Germans and free France.

After the war Europe formed NATO. But in the 1960s when things looked the worst, the French pulled out of NATO. That left them with NATO between them and the Russians but with them having no obligation to defend other nations such as West Germany. Only after the fall of the USSR did the French rejoin NATO. So when the threat was gone, they found their balls.

SE Asia?> The French cut and run and left the Vietnam mess to the USA.

I got other examples but I am getting tired of commenting on the French......well...on last comment....the word COWARD comes from the French, meaning to show tail or turn tail....to cut and run....... Kind of fitting....

Old 06-02-2014, 05:30 AM

59 posts, read 59,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Im curious why you'd leave if Scotland votes for independence.
One thing the Americans (U.S.)and the English have in common, is an ignorance of others history ,a certainty of their own superiority ,and a habit therefore, of making those involved with them ,feel inferior
and incapable of running their own affairs .
As a result, there are people in Scotland,who not knowing their own history and how good Scots were at business, are led to believe that they will founder without the aggressive English to prop them up.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Agreed.

And I'd say it would be very interesting to hear the word 'cowardice' uttered in front of those in the Resistance....;-)....
especially for those who say fought in the every early days of the War (1942) where organization practically nil and each man was on his own. Just a thought on those who thought the French 'cowards'.
I am no great expert on the finer détails of the Wars ,but I am in in France,and it is a very fine culture,honed by many expériences,both high and low .The greatest battle in recent times would be to keep the 'trash' culture of England and America from dragging down one, that which is in general superior over all, to either .
After world war 2,there were small townsa nd villages in France ,without a single man of marriageable age ;that is, of men between around 17 years and 45 years of age . Only 2O years later ,a military power unequalled in history , then invades from next door,and some gung ho types wish to label the French cowardly .
Where were all the brave Americans and Brits when this was happening I Wonder ?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:42 AM

8,133 posts, read 6,670,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
After the war Europe formed NATO. But in the 1960s when things looked the worst, the French pulled out of NATO. That left them with NATO between them and the Russians but with them having no obligation to defend other nations such as West Germany. Only after the fall of the USSR did the French rejoin NATO. So when the threat was gone, they found their balls.
So now De Gaulle decided to pull out of NATO because he didn't want to defend West Germany. You learn something new every day. All these random comments about cowardice written by people who most likely have never fought in a war are pretty comical.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,458,919 times
Quote:
The Mexicans, at least those in the USA, celebrate Cinco De Mayo, when the Mexican army defeated a larger French Army. But as a bit of irony, they do not celebrate the defeat of a French Foreign Legion unit which was made up mostly of non French people.... When the FFL ammo ran out, the few survivors did a bayonet charge against the Mexicans.

In WW ONE, when the French heard that the USA had entered the war, all of a sudden the French Army mutinied and refused to fight. That went on until the Americans arrived and took the point.......that sounds pretty cowardly to me.

In WW TWO, when most of the French Army was still intact, most of France was still free, when the French Navy was not even under fire, the French surrendered. It was up to everyone else to fight the Germans and free France.

I got other examples but I am getting tired of commenting on the French......well...on last comment....the word COWARD comes from the French, meaning to show tail or turn tail....to cut and run....... Kind of fitting....
Dude you do desperately need to study history because basically everything you see is some Americacentric bull****.
1) The French Army didn't mutiny when they heard that Americans were coming, they mutinied when their last Offensive (Offensive Nivelle) proved to be costly and pointless.
French soldiers were sick of being sent to die uselessly and they refused to attack again but they defended themselves, as a matter of fact, most of defense during 1918 German offensive was done by French excluding Operation Michael in Flanders (obviously Americans do celebrate Bois Belleau).
American arrival was just moral: Americans received French and British equipment and they suffered more casualties from the flu than in combat.
2) French Army was "intact"? 92,000 French soldiers had been killed in one month (compare it to 400,000 American soldiers killed in 4 years) and most of French Air Force had been severely mauled.
Germans hadn't only encircled the best of Allied forces at Dunkerque but they had also managed to drive a neat separation between them and the rest of French forces deployed South.
Yet, German offensive southward with superior forces and air force was the bloodiest point of the battle facing a determined French Army.
France surrendered because half of the country had been occupied, 2 million of French had been taken prisoners, would have the US kept fighting?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:58 AM

24,268 posts, read 18,765,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
So now De Gaulle decided to pull out of NATO because he didn't want to defend West Germany. You learn something new every day. All these random comments about cowardice written by people who most likely have never fought in a war are pretty comical.
Well, CDG pulled France out of the NATO command chain, and he held the speech that "one nation is not suitable for our community for historical and cultural reasons", meaning Britain and the EU. He effectively pulled out France from the Anglo-Saxon NATO. Mururoa, remember?

De Gaulle was also awarded the highest decoration of Finland, the Order of the White Rose, in 1962, as to desperately not to stir up anything in the international policies. Next year, Tito was awarded the same award. After the Cuban crisis everything was a bit tense.

Oh, and the Order of the White Rose chain was embroded with flat swastikas (an old Finnish sign of luck), but CDG felt uncomfortable wearing them, so they were changed with roses. And still are.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:07 AM

1,524 posts, read 2,261,302 times
Quote:

So much ignorance here that it isnt even worth refuting each point.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 AM
OHW

102 posts, read 123,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieTherese View Post
One thing the Americans (U.S.)and the English have in common, is an ignorance of others history ,a certainty of their own superiority ,and a habit therefore, of making those involved with them ,feel inferior
and incapable of running their own affairs .
As a result, there are people in Scotland,who not knowing their own history and how good Scots were at business, are led to believe that they will founder without the aggressive English to prop them up.
Is there a store that sells paintbrushes as wide as you used for this or do you make them yourself?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
Is there a store that sells paintbrushes as wide as you used for this or do you make them yourself?
Not here there is'nt ,but I am sure there are plenty in the States ,especially Texas .

Old 06-02-2014, 12:02 PM

135 posts, read 123,164 times
There are also some jokes about cowardly French in the german media. I guess those jokes came directly from the U.S. to Germany. I am not sure, but I guess most Germans, at least the older ones, would say that the Americans are the most cowardly people. My father fought in Russia in WWII. He always said that the Russians are very brave soldiers, whereas the U.S. soldiers always need air support to capture a position, even when it's only a small farm. But I think if air support is available, than it's smart to take advantage of it.

If we consider the youth of different countries, it seems to be that the U.S. youth is the most dependent in the western world. In an international tent camp, 20 years ago, the U.S. teenagers had quickly the reputation for being sissies. We called them "softeggs" because that the literally translation of the german word "Weicheier". We were young and didn't know the correct translation (wussies or sissies). 11 and 12 years old belgium girls were tougher than 14 and 15 years old U.S. boys. It was very funny. I don't think that the parenting in the U.S. will lead to brave men and women. I am sure that the average french people is more courageous than the average American. America the brave? Not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or