U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:25 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,750,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Elizabeth II (often known as the "Queen of England" by Americans) is also the Queen of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica etc, does this mean that those places are "a part of England" too?

Elizabeth II, who is the Queen of the entire Commonwealth Realm and not just the UK or England, is of course not a political figure. Infact there is not any political monarchs in Europe or the western world anylonger.
Also she is Elizabeth I in Scotland as the first Elizabeth was never queen here. Scotland was free during her reign.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:34 AM

4,654 posts, read 3,711,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Ehm... So, how many troops did France send to Iraq?
2nd largest deployment of troups behind the US,u still avoiding my question,why did France voted against the war in Iraq and then end up sending troups to Iraq ?

Old 12-08-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Elizabeth II (often known as the "Queen of England" by Americans) is also the Queen of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica etc, does this mean that those places are "a part of England" too?

Elizabeth II, who is the Queen of the entire Commonwealth Realm and not just the UK or England, is of course not a political figure. Infact there is not any political monarchs in Europe or the western world anylonger.
She's Queen of England,before any other country,therefore welsh and scotts are her subjects

Old 12-08-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
This is a really stupid argument. I would never live in the US again so I don't know why you keep mentioning it. If Scotland becomes independent from the UK I think it would be an economic disaster. So moving to France would be a good option. If we were rich I would love a second home in France so we could live in both.

Understand? End of discussion. I'm out of here. Argue with yourself.
Sorry,you got upset but that was ur argument not mine,

Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,126,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
2nd largest deployment of troups behind the US,u still avoiding my question,why did France voted against the war in Iraq and then end up sending troups to Iraq ?
I'm still not sure, whether you refer to the First or Second War in Iraq.

If you refer to the First one, France approved Resolution 678 and subsequently sent troops to Iraq. France opposed the Second one and never sent any troops, so I don't really get your problem.

Last edited by viribusunitis; 12-08-2013 at 05:28 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
She's Queen of England,before any other country,therefore welsh and scotts are her subjects
OMG where did you come up with that logic. You have to have been born in the UK before 1983 to be called a subject. Do your homework.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Sorry,you got upset but that was ur argument not mine,
You could not upset me. Just can't believe what a lack of logic you have. You should actually try to read what someone is posting and understand it before you come up with stupid replies.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:41 AM

580 posts, read 678,422 times
Quote:
Inaccurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I'm still not sure, whether you refer to the First or Second War in Iraq.

If you refer to the First one, France approved Resolution 678 and subsequently sent troops to Iraq. France opposed the Second one and never sent any troops, so I don't really get your problem.
Accurate.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:29 AM

554 posts, read 688,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
The French had many colonies, just like other European countries. However, their mismanagement of those colonies led to some rather bloody revolutions and French military and political forces had no idea how to deal with them.

Sadly, the only true "fighting force" France has is the French Foreign Legion which is made up of non-French, usually criminals fleeing from prosecution at home.

As for my own personal experience over a number of years is that the common Frenchman/woman is very racist and bigoted. They consider themselves superior to all else. While they tout their wine and food as being the best, I find it no better or worse than the cuisine of other nations - and their most famous dishes are endemic to France.

French Onion soup came about because the people were so poor they could afford little more than onions, bread and cheese in a week beef broth.

French Fries cannot be traditionally French as potatoes came to Europe from Peru and Colombia.

Don't even ask me about Paris.

One good way to see the truth about France is to compare the towns and villages on the French side of the border to those on the Swiss, German, and Italian sides. Oh year, I forgot about Spain. They can certain mar some otherwise beautiful countryside with their dingy, gray, sooty Medieval sites.
This is a funny post. You just listed almost all the ignorant things someone could say about France. "However".. like ALL colonial powers, they lost all their colonies.. French fought two dirty and bloody colonial wars, in Vietnam and in Algeria, because huge French communities lived and were born there. All other colonies became independent pacifically and some are still overseas territories. But France didn't mismanaged its colonies less than the UK or Spain. Big mismanagements were in Portuguese, Belgium and American (Liberia) colonies.

Foreign Legion is composed from 40% to 50% of French citizens, but they are given a new identity and new nationality (mostly Canadian or Belgium) when they are recruited. Criminals are not accepted. It's not an elite force as many foreigners think, it's just a well-trained ground unit. They fought bravely in many battles, but they are known for many war crimes as well..

You never met any French person, do you ?
I don't even know what a French Onion Soup is. If it's really French, it's probably a regional thing, because I never saw anyone eat something close to an onion soup.
French Fries are not French, but from Belgium. Do you think the French invented the French kiss as well ? Like no one tried to put its tong in a girl's mouth before ? It's just the English name of something, it doesn't make it French because there is French in it.
And if those are the most famous French dishes you know, I understand why you feel dumb when you speak about food with a French.

And what about Paris ? It's just a huge city crowded with tourists, students and business women and men, with beautiful monuments and an awful weather.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 AM

9,781 posts, read 16,256,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
French were "saved by others" in later period of history? They are "cowards"?
Thanks lord for that. Because now the rest of the world is coming to admire the old architecture and the beauty of the country that stayed preserved for future generations.
Germany on another hand...
You can only see bits and pieces of their former architecture (since a lot has been rebuilt after the war,) and feel sorry for how much has been lost for the world to see and admire. I guess they didn't think that part through.
P***g me off I have to say.
Didn't say they were cowards, but it'd be weird for the French to claim they 'saved' America back in the Revolutionary War, let's just say it was a little more complicated than that. WWI and WWII are two rather more straightforward and recent events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or