Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2016, 09:05 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Without the US, Russian tanks would have stopped in Lisbon and they would have invaded UK.
Its funny because the Spanish, French and Germans have all thought this as well, in reality none of them were capable, I think you will find that the Russians would have been just as successful in 'invading' the UK as the rest of Europe has been! You personally can thank the UK for saving your country from the Nazis because if it wasn't for the UK standing ALONE against them while the Spanish cowered you would be part of the Third Reich right now.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:27 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Without the US, Russian tanks would have stopped in Lisbon and they would have invaded UK.
You need to stop assimilating your entire knowledge of history from your Playstation games. Read an authoritative book or two on the relevant period to stop sounding like a fourteen year old John Wayne, Clint Eastwood acolyte.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:47 PM

595 posts, read 719,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You personally can thank the UK for saving your country from the Nazis because if it wasn't for the UK standing ALONE against them while the Spanish cowered you would be part of the Third Reich right now.

Hitler had no wish of invading Iberian Peninsula, never tried. Spain and Portugal were neutral.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:12 PM

545 posts, read 866,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post

Hitler had no wish of invading Iberian Peninsula, never tried. Spain and Portugal were neutral.
True. Both were also dictatorships and Franco was friendly to Hitler. Portugal could have been annexed by Spain with Hitler support tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat
The families of the 450,000 killed would probably not agree with that.

Oh and for a time in WW2, Britain and its Commonwealth, was the only major player in WW2 against the Nazis. Without that fact, things would have been very different.

But i'll state this again, throughout history, the French can hardly be considered cowards!
I agree. I was just getting some popcorn.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:47 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,246,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
True. Both were also dictatorships and Franco was friendly to Hitler. Portugal could have been annexed by Spain with Hitler support tho.

I agree. I was just getting some popcorn.
Hehe, fair enough

Old 12-12-2016, 03:10 AM

251 posts, read 396,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I've seen it all the time. Depictions, jokes in the American media about how the French are cowardly, eat cheese and surrender. It's ironic though, since France was at times among the most powerful countries militarily in many times in history. Napoleon's army, for instance, was quite a force to be reckoned with. Even today, the French are pretty tough. For instance, as a contemporary example they intervened in Mali when many countries wouldn't. The French Foreign Legion is well known for it's toughness. Why then is there the opposite perception, that the French can't put up a good fight?

Where did it start and how did it become an idea of mockery as part of popular culture? Did it start from WWII? If so, I'd find it odd that French people get singled out in history as many groups, peoples and nations have been on the losing/surrendering end at least once in their history.
World War 2, when they surrendered to the Nazis.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:25 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victus View Post

Really? He had also previously stated that he had no wish of invading Holland, Belgium, France or Poland! He had also signed a pact with Russia but it didn't stop him invading there either! Not only that but after he had invaded other European countries Spain or Portugal never lifted a finger to try and stop him, like I said Hitler had never stated he wanted to invade Britain and yet Britain stood ALONE against the Nazis while Spain cowered.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:36 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,796,788 times
Default Nazi Germany & Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Really? He had also previously stated that he had no wish of invading Holland, Belgium, France or Poland! He had also signed a pact with Russia but it didn't stop him invading there either! Not only that but after he had invaded other European countries Spain or Portugal never lifted a finger to try and stop him, like I said Hitler had never stated he wanted to invade Britain and yet Britain stood ALONE against the Nazis while Spain cowered.
Yah. It turns out that Mein Kampf was actually a good indication of what Hitler would do as head of Germany. There he stated that he wanted to carve out territory in the USSR, displace the inferior people there, & settle it with Germans - to farm, mine, extract oil & etc. & also to expel the Jews (& Roma & any other undesirables). I don't know that anyone took him seriously @ that point, this was written while he was in jail for the Beer Hall Putsch, a failed attempt @ revolution. Hitler was good @ the politics of pre-WWII Europe - but he was very bad @ the strategy of actually fighting the war.

& Germany had assisted Franco in the Spanish Civil War - providing transport, aircraft, pilots, tactical air support, reconnaissance, couriers, etc. Some of the German close air support tactics of WWII were worked out there. I don't know about Portugal, but Hitler wanted Franco to join him in the Axis. Franco demurred & stalled & never did come in on the Axis side. Germany could have marched into Spain, I suppose - consuming what was left of Vichy France & marching through. & then what? Spain is tough terrain - Napoleon found that out in the 1800s. & the Spanish were good @ guerrilla warfare, & had just been through their Civil War - they were armed & blooded, already organized into regulars & militia & volunteers. From Hitler's POV, I think Spain was just too tough a nut to crack, for too little return, when he had other priorities anyway.

The characterization of Franco cowering is funny. You might ask any of the remaining survivors of the Republican side of the Spanish Civil War - the Spanish weren't noted for cowering.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:39 PM

820 posts, read 953,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Let's see...

Napoleon's wars = lost

Crimean war = won

Franco-Prussian war = lost

WW1 = won

WW2 = lost

Now, compare with Britain:

Napoleonic wars = won

Crimean war = won

WW1 = won

WW2 = won

Now, where's that popcorn
According to Wikipedia, France won 77,76% of battles vs England!

Here is one of the list :
France always won vs the UK!

Austerlitz
Iena
the Hundred Years War
Solent
Flamborough Head
Grand Turk
cap Beveziers
cap Lizard
Roche-aux-Moines
Arnemuiden
Bouvines
Château Gaillard
Killala
Ballina
Castlebar
Collooney
Bouvines
Orléans
Jargeau
Meung-sur-Loire
Beaugency
Patay
Arnemuiden
Verneuil
Formigny
Castillon
Hastings

Don't forget that Americans and British are known around the world to have a very bad level in History/Geography!
In England at school, they only study the few battles they won.
The English have been defeated easily by the French so many times that they now want to forget it...hahaha

Last edited by amaroW; 12-12-2016 at 01:02 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 12:47 PM

820 posts, read 953,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
The families of the 450,000 killed would probably not agree with that.

Oh and for a time in WW2, Britain and its Commonwealth, was the only major player in WW2 against the Nazis. Without that fact, things would have been very different.

But i'll state this again, throughout history, the French can hardly be considered cowards!
Yes Britain and its Commonwealth were a major player in WW2 because they sold arms only to Germany and not to France just because Germany gave better offers.
It is a shame and Britain should be really ashamed of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe