Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2016, 03:16 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times

Advertisements

Hi, all, and thanks in advance for any assistance!

I'm planning a vacation for next May, and could use some help. My fiance and I are going for three weeks (a bit less once you factor in travel time from Alaska), and the first week or so we'll be visiting my brother in Madrid. After that, I'd like to go somewhere coastal and do some diving, maybe some surfing, and hiking.

I think we'll get all the urban lifestyle we can handle in Madrid, so we're not looking for another big city, party town, or tourist trap. It looks like this is early season, so tourist crowds won't be a big deal, true? A decent selection of good restaurants is a plus, and some kind of history or architectural sites would be good, but mostly we want to play in the water and have fun, and take in some beautiful scenery. As far as diving goes, I've been certified for years but haven't been diving much, and he's going to get certified on this trip, so we're both definitely beginners. Some access to shore sites for snorkeling would be nice, also.

I'm thinking mostly about Mallorca and Costa Brava (and specifics about that area would be well appreciated!), but have also considered the Canaries. Anyone have thoughts about those areas or others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 01:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
I think we'll get all the urban lifestyle we can handle in Madrid, so we're not looking for another big city, party town, or tourist trap.

I'm thinking mostly about Mallorca and Costa Brava (and specifics about that area would be well appreciated!), but have also considered the Canaries. Anyone have thoughts about those areas or others?
So you decided to think about the worst tourist traps in Europe?

Old 12-27-2016, 02:48 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,287,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So you decided to think about the worst tourist traps in Europe?
Since I'm not from Europe, perhaps that's why I'm
here asking a question.

I live in a place frequented by tourists, and their presence varies greatly both seasonally and by specific location. I doubt that any of the places I mentioned are monoliths either, and we're not going to be staying in a tourist resort. So I'm looking for advice about these areas from that perspective. If you can't help with that, then maybe just move along.

Last edited by tigre79; 12-27-2016 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe