Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:59 AM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times

Advertisements

In the defense of the French, they don't surrender as easily as the Italians. The French at least have to be shot at a couple times.

More seriously someone else nailed it. With the most powerful and best equipped military in Europe (arguably the world) they fought poorly and not long enough against an army which still moved a massive amount of their supplies in horse drawn wagons. Strategy has a lot to do with that, they placed their faith in the Maginot Line and didn't respond in time.

Also, even though they could see the effectiveness of massed tank formations (they were being overrun by them) their tanks were not reorganized to counter attack. De Gaulle wanted to do that and was ridiculed by the rest of the General Staff.

Vichy France's collaboration didn't help the perceptions, nor did propaganda pictures of Parisians having a good time with German soldiers in the clubs and cafes.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 12-07-2013 at 05:07 AM..

Old 12-07-2013, 08:43 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,581,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
If you don't want the statue of liberty, give it back. The engraving on it about 'give us your poor...etc' is invalid now anyway. Might as well just have it removed.

4. I don't live in the US any more, I live in Scotland. I visit France often though and if Scotland votes to divorce the UK I will be moving to France.

BTW, it wasn't England's military in the wars, it was the British military which includes Scotland and Wales. Learn your geography and history.

1-America did not ask for a statue.

2-i doesn't matter where you live,you don't have enough love for France to move there,now you're waiting for scotland to break away from the union

3-You are the expert in history and geography ! UK include England,so where is the error ? welsh and scottish just fellow the english,they have no authority,in UK union,England is everything,the other just fellow.

Last edited by scobby; 12-07-2013 at 08:53 AM..

Old 12-07-2013, 09:21 AM

4,105 posts, read 5,534,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post

1-America did not ask for a statue.

2-i doesn't matter where you live,you don't have enough love for France to move there,now you're waiting for scotland to break away from the union

3-You are the expert in history and geography ! UK include England,so where is the error ? welsh and scottish just fellow the english,they have no authority,in UK union,England is everything,the other just fellow.
1. Send it back.

2. I love many countries but I don't want to live in all of them. I never said I loved France more than any other country. I love Scotland more. So what?

3. You haven't a clue. You were naming countries and their military and to call it England is misleading. I know most Americans call the entire island of Great Britain England, but that is incorrect. I'm sure you don't know that Scotland and Wales each have their own parliament, own education systems, health care system, laws that are totally separate from the government in London.

4. Learn how to type. There should be spaces between commas and the next word and your grammar and spelling aren't good either.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:42 AM

820 posts, read 949,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
1-How many countries saved France from disaster ? the US twice,England twice,Canada,Russia so forth

2-Did americans needed a statue of liberty to survive the german invasion ? it was a gift by the french,americans never asked for that gift !!

Americans gave you the best gift : liberty itself,they freed France from German occupation 2 times,and that was not a statue,that was a fact.

3-After the No,french vote at the UN, the french end up sending troups to Iraq so hypocrisy is still the norm in France !!

4-little contradiction,on the personal level,you don't love France enough to leave Scotland or the US,so in fact,it is clear that France is not a priority for you.

USA didn't choose to save France. All American people were against intervention. But after the attacks they suffered they decided to interverne (what a shame!)...they do it at the end of the war to save their own country and let 60 millions people die in 4 years. You call it "freed France from Germany"?
What make French anger about American is that they present themself (US) as the Liberator of France and French people lol...

And why are we always speaking about saving France in WW? If it is a WW, it s not only France who have to be thankfull...

Not to mention that American soldiers raped thousands of Normans women in Normandy. They had to abort. American people then appeared more like the Hell than the Liberator.

But American dont know or forget that part of the History...

Last edited by amaroW; 12-07-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-07-2013, 01:35 PM

26,733 posts, read 22,400,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
If I were French I don't think I'd be going around to a bunch of Americans reminding them of fact 1. Considering the French almost have a reputation for being saved by others lol.
French were "saved by others" in later period of history? They are "cowards"?
Thanks lord for that. Because now the rest of the world is coming to admire the old architecture and the beauty of the country that stayed preserved for future generations.
Germany on another hand...
You can only see bits and pieces of their former architecture (since a lot has been rebuilt after the war,) and feel sorry for how much has been lost for the world to see and admire. I guess they didn't think that part through.
P***g me off I have to say.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:08 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,134,847 times
The French had many colonies, just like other European countries. However, their mismanagement of those colonies led to some rather bloody revolutions and French military and political forces had no idea how to deal with them.

Sadly, the only true "fighting force" France has is the French Foreign Legion which is made up of non-French, usually criminals fleeing from prosecution at home.

As for my own personal experience over a number of years is that the common Frenchman/woman is very racist and bigoted. They consider themselves superior to all else. While they tout their wine and food as being the best, I find it no better or worse than the cuisine of other nations - and their most famous dishes are endemic to France.

French Onion soup came about because the people were so poor they could afford little more than onions, bread and cheese in a week beef broth.

French Fries cannot be traditionally French as potatoes came to Europe from Peru and Colombia.

Don't even ask me about Paris.

One good way to see the truth about France is to compare the towns and villages on the French side of the border to those on the Swiss, German, and Italian sides. Oh year, I forgot about Spain. They can certain mar some otherwise beautiful countryside with their dingy, gray, sooty Medieval sites.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:36 PM

586 posts, read 829,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
Sadly, the only true "fighting force" France has is the French Foreign Legion which is made up of non-French, usually criminals fleeing from prosecution at home.
I have to disagree with these two points.

There is nothing at all wrong with the ability of the French Armed Forces (Armée Française). With regards to the LE whilst a large proportion are initially not French there is a good number of French born in the ranks and nearly all the officers are. All Legionnaire after several years of, good conduct, service are given the option to become French citizens and many take it so many Legionnaire are in fact French.

The LE do background checks via Interpol to ensure that no-one is wanted by the Police. This is one of the most common and inaccurate 'facts' that people 'know' about the LE.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:48 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,587,923 times
Where did the French stereotype that Americans are all "fat and lazy" come from?

No reason to feel too sorry for the French, they have their own stereotypes that they love to repeat.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:52 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,134,847 times
As far as the LE goes, I was in Verdun in '61 when a brigade was brought home from Algeria. Angry as having their panties hosed by the Arabs, they went through the town attacking any men on the streets and raping any woman they could find. All foreign forces were restricted to their quarters and our only source of real news came from French employees. Nothing was reported on the news but they told us endless horror stories.

Local police and French military units were too spineless to go out and police the city.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:33 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
4. Learn how to type. There should be spaces between commas and the next word and your grammar and spelling aren't good either.
This is a Internet Forum not a English Test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.