U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 10:38 PM

28 posts, read 49,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
I always laugh when people here(in the USA) say that English is the most difficult language in the world to learn. It's a very common misconception here.
Are you serious? I've never heard anyone in the U.S. say that, though I've heard many Americans argue over which is harder, German or French, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 10:40 PM

28 posts, read 49,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahhammer View Post
What the hell did I expect?
Frankly, it looks like you expected everyone to agree with your hypothesis, and when that didn't happen, it for some reason made you irate - why?

Old 12-14-2013, 10:53 PM

86 posts, read 153,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by percynjpn View Post
Are you serious? I've never heard anyone in the U.S. say that, though I've heard many Americans argue over which is harder, German or French, etc.

Not everyone says it, but I certainly hear it often enough. I recall my English teacher in high school saying numerous times that we were lucky we spoke English as our first language because it's the hardest language in the world to learn.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:14 PM

340 posts, read 269,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by percynjpn View Post
Frankly, it looks like you expected everyone to agree with your hypothesis, and when that didn't happen, it for some reason made you irate - why?
Because I defended my position well, and instead of replying back with counterarguments, they just ignored half of what I wrote and said something barely on topic. People would call a language with no irregular verbs, no irregular nouns, no irregular plurals, difficult if it had fewer spaces between words than a language with irregularities, yet uses auxiliaries. This bias towards inflection is sickening and sickening for the linguistic community. I don't know where it came from but people nowadays memorize conjugations individually instead of following the patterns and thus think it to be so hard. English is also easy enough to speak non-fluently and get by. Nobody knows what a subject raising sentence is, but people refuse to learn inflecting languages subconsciously so they feel as if there were more to study.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:32 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,469,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahhammer View Post
So what do you think of Chinese, eh? Or Thai? Do you know what an analytical language is? Do you know that languages go in MORPHOLOGY CYCLES, some use word order and auxiliaries, some using suffixes, the method changes but the information gets across. Maybe Russian is harder, but that is due to having been isolated. Russian is simpler in some ways compared to other slavic languages though. It would simplify if forced internationally anyway.

As for stress in Russian, take note that English has changes in vowel strength in compound words. And English has 8 diphthongs to worry about too. Stress also exists when changing the purpose of a word from a noun to a verb and vice versa, not as bad as Russian but it is still there. English vowels are much more varied than in Russian. BTW English is not pro-drop so why would conjugations be used? The Scandinavian language have no conjugations, not even for to-be btw.

It because it is found in video games and movies, not to mention that it is very forgiving. What of Chinese? Your English looks basic to be honest.

This is getting frustrating! I point out the irony on how folks call English "Easy" yet list so many languages that are free of ANY inflection which are not given the same bullcrap. Why do people associate grammar with only inflection? Do they know what one can do with tense aspect combinations in English? Or the possibilities of forming non finite constructions that cannot be done in German? Many of the inflections in French are silent now. They are preserved in orthography, and the simple past is not even used colloquially.

I said how VIETNAMESE, THAI, CHINESE etc. have NO tenses, NO gender, NO plurals, NO conjugations, NO gerunds or participles, NO cases, NONE but you do not give that language the same disparaging you just gave ENGLISH! And I am finding your racist post very distasteful!

Aren't enough ways to say things? That is your own issue; the sapir-whorf hypothesis is crap and people cite it to sound smart but it is unproven and a pseudo-linguistic. One can speak English while avoiding all possible techniques available just by stringing words in SVO. Same with Chinese, but Chinese has grammar (no word endings at all thought) and so does English.

The biggest irony is that people call English so easy and Chinese so hard, but 90% of all the non-native speakers of Chinese or even Thai I have met have been native English speakers. If I see a white man speak Chinese, chances are he is British or Australian, not German or French.
I'm not sure what makes you think Im racist when I say English is easier than German as English has no articles, no gender? Racist means I'm slandering people of a certain race typically minorities like blacks, Asians, Indians etc. How have I done that?

How many languages do you speak? I speak 5 Western European Languages so I know what I'm talking about!

Old 12-22-2013, 04:53 AM

340 posts, read 269,898 times
English has articles (the, a, an) no gender, but that is all I can give you. German would be the same difficulty as English if it were genderless. My previous post with a spoiler explains my points.

Western European languages? Can you do an Asian one?

Last edited by Rozenn; 12-22-2013 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: Post was edited

Old 12-26-2013, 10:23 PM

19 posts, read 19,461 times
I think it just depends on your definition of learning a language... If it is becoming a master of a language, then I agree that English can be a difficult due to vocabulary and words/phrases that do not follow rules. However, many people do find english easy because they are able to put together broken sentences that are understandable. There is also the fact that english is heard/spoken pretty much everywhere so it is easier for people to pick up.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:56 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,120,342 times
For a Westerner, all West European languages (anglo saxon, germanic, scandinavian, latin) are fairly easy to learn.
There is an increased degree of difficulty with Slavic and finno ougrian (Finnish, Hungarian, Basque) languages, still it's not that difficult. Even the African vernacular languages like Swahili, I've been told, are not that difficult.
The real hard languages for us are the Oriental languages, from Arabic to Mandarin (the worst being probably the Cinghalese, a clicking language whose pronunciation is impossible for someone who didn't learn it as a child).

Old 12-27-2013, 03:05 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,083,018 times
Any skill is easy if you know it. Most Europeans have been taught English in school from the start.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:13 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,452,574 times
English is EASIEST when you aim at achieving a basic level, much easier than any other language in the world.
Grammar is much simpler than most European languages.
When, instead, an higher level is the target than things get complicated: phrasal verbs, slang, a much better pronounce are expected.
Hence, English is easier than most languages but it must not underestimated at all: it has a tricky phonology and spelling and the lexicon cam sometimes be harder to master.
Said that, learners of English (including me) are really helped by the costant exposure to English.
When I surf on Internet I see English everyday, I attend more English-spoken forums than Italian or French ones, I see many TV-series in English (mostly subbed though), I listen to English-sung music and I often read English-written pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or