U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 03:29 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,792,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Getting a visa for Russia is difficult. Sochi is in the middle of nowhere. Probably overly expensive to get there. And, well, it's Russia. I don't expect many international visitors. 99% of them will be Russians or from the annexed territories ( aka Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Belarus ).
If one had planned well in advance, many, many travel agencies provided help with obtaining visas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 03:58 PM

649 posts, read 646,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Touchy, touchy! He has a point; getting to the Games in Russia is more difficult than going to the Games in a developed country. So there may not be the large numbers of foreign visitors that there usually is. And unfortunately, Russia just isn't the tourist draw that Western Europe or Japan are, for example. (Not that the regime cares. Russia has never done anything to foster tourism.) A good question to test the poster's hypothesis is: how was international attendance at China's Games? Similar visa difficulties there. Though China is viewed as a more exotic location.
Thanks, because too much negative towards Russia on the forums, nobody condemns the next summer olympics in Rio or the past olympics in China. For instance, part of the stadium that will host the 2014 World Cup opener collapsed in Rio last month... although I forget, this is not Russia.
Also for russians visa required in many countries and to get it here is pretty difficult too, especially the US visas. Usually I dislike to visit countries without visa-free regime.
I don't think that boycott of the Olympics by the EU will give any effect for current russian govt, although the russian people will estimate it as regular unfriendly step.

Last edited by bartonfly; 12-09-2013 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 04:40 PM

9,969 posts, read 14,560,712 times
People have been anti-Russia since Rocky IV. Drago killed Apollo Creed for chrissakes...

Old 12-09-2013, 04:46 PM

649 posts, read 646,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
People have been anti-Russia since Rocky IV. Drago killed Apollo Creed for chrissakes...
There is lot of stupid movies and scenes about russians like a drunk russian on the space station in Armageddon movie.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:02 PM

77,945 posts, read 69,884,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
As if that many people have seen Rocky IV, or care.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:51 AM

21,201 posts, read 19,217,099 times
The German president is a moron, an old geezer who is still mentally caught in the cold war, just like Merkel. They are both from East Germany, thus a bit blind. It took him months to realize what the Snowden leaks actually meant, only then did he change his mind that he had made up so prematurely.

If he boycotts Russia, he would have to boycott other imperialist countries such as the US or Canada as well, even his own country, where gay men are not allowed to donate blood, either.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 AM

9,969 posts, read 14,560,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
As if that many people have seen Rocky IV, or care.
C'mon it was the third highest grossing film of 1985 and went on to win 8 Oscars... I believe Pauline Kael and Robert Ebert both discuss it at length in their musings about the greatest films ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu00RiPjaa4

Old 12-12-2013, 02:19 AM

861 posts, read 978,582 times
Some experts (including the author of the documentary) say that Austrian construction business were against Salzburg and for Sochi, because in Sochi they can do more megalomaniac projects.

I think the citizens of Salzburg are not upset also. They have a lot of other international events. If I were a citizen of that beautiful city, I will be happy without that Olympics.

Just gimme the citizenship of Austria! The former mayor of Moscow now dwells somewhere between Austria and London. I want to see the Alps from my window too!

And that expert said that she understood long time ago that IOC prefers countries where can be made some megalomaniac projects and there are no democracy.

Ah, politics is politics, and business is business. We see it know as so many times before.

Last edited by Rozenn; 12-13-2013 at 03:45 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 AM

15,401 posts, read 13,409,934 times
I wonder if he is going to boycott India as well: India's Supreme Court upholds colonial-era anti-gay sex law | Fox News

My guess not a word about this, no protests, no accusations of human rights abuses, etc. Russia so much drops a glass of water the world screams.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:35 AM

21,201 posts, read 19,217,099 times
In some countries there is the death penalty on homosexuality...
In Russia a homosexual man or woman can even adopt a child, if he or she is single.

The problem with Russia are not the laws banning pro-gay propaganda (not homosexuality as such, though!), but that society as a whole is very conservative in this respect, and has always been, long before Putin. The vast majority of Russians support that new law.

Of course banning pro-gay propaganda such as those infamous parades won't change anything, there won't be a single homosexual person fewer. But that is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or