Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 07:53 PM

49 posts, read 290,643 times

Advertisements

For starters I don't imagine I'll be in Paris. This is for a less expensive education than here in America. What is your opinion on going to France as an alternative for less expensive education?

My minor was French language already and I was considering majoring in a science, possibly physics? I enjoy astronomy, with cuts to NASA in America it's not looking too pretty here. With france home the the ESA, Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie and CNES would I have a chance at all? Is STEM doing well in France, if not what do you suggest?

I was told I could consider my education abroad however I have no real plan and was wondering what you guys thought. Outside of business type degrees I've never seen this done. I read that a lot of french scientists are actually doing the opposite and trying to come to America? Does France help at all upon completion? For example I read that in Canada (or maybe with Quebec) there is a program towards citizenship where they will place you in a job upon completion and as part as the citizenship process.

What are English universities in France I should consider? I am a beginner to the language but I'm taking French classes here. I'm in my mid 20s, willing to make some sacrifices.. any idea what cities are the "less expensive" types that I should be considering? I just want to start over there and I don't have much money for an education here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:55 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Programs taught in English > CampusFrance

As far as ESA is concerned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esa.int
All applicants are required to have a degree from a university or a college of technology by the time they start work at ESA. They must also be a citizen of one of the ESA Member States or from one of the European Cooperating States (see link for details).

Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Many European universities are offering educations in English. I don't advise it, since these educations are generally not very hardcore. To get into a good college MS (there are few BS programs on the Continent) degree-granting program in a science field, you have to pass a language proficiency test and compete with native applicants. You may also have to pay more for your education. Moreover, in many countries (France is one of the worst examples), the unemployment rate amongst academic graduates is very high. Many have to immigrate, quite a few to the US.

I would advise against your idea.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:18 PM

820 posts, read 954,018 times
You can try engeneering schools! 100//500 euros a year and some have double free degree with the MIT or the Chicago/Columbia University. (for the top 3 ofc) but the top 30 is quite good too.
There is 0% unemployment after being graduated from "Les Grandes Ecoles" except for the worst ones.
France is in lack of High Graduated Students (Grandes Ecoles d'Ingénieurs et de Commerce).

PS: one of my best friend from l'X (Polytechnique Paris) is currently studying at the MIT now.
You are more likely to find a good job after being graduated from INSEAD than Harvard ofcourse!
And if you study at X, it s not only free...the school gives you 2000 euros each month!

Last edited by amaroW; 01-28-2014 at 02:43 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 04:13 PM

545 posts, read 866,574 times
True.
But almost everything is in the Paris area, and it looks like he doesn't want to go to Paris because it's too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe