U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2016, 06:55 PM
 
11,795 posts, read 4,968,232 times
Reputation: 17935

Advertisements

Only if they are from the city of Rome, as modern Roman Italians. As others have stated, they are proud of their Roman past but know that was 2000 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2016, 06:12 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,701 posts, read 6,546,407 times
Reputation: 5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by montelatici View Post
Italians feel just as proud as the British do about their past Empire. I am from Tuscany and know that my ancestors were probably Etruscan that became Roman citizens (and we taught the Romans almost everything) much like the Scots became British and are just as proud of the British Empire as the English.
The English were not 'British' before the Scots were, this seems to be a common misconception, Britain was formed when the Scottish king James IV inherited the English throne and became James I of England, therefore the first King of Britain. In fact if anything it was the English that became part of the Scottish throne. In answer to the questions aren't Italians that live in Rome still 'Roman'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 06:24 AM
 
11,795 posts, read 4,968,232 times
Reputation: 17935
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The English were not 'British' before the Scots were, this seems to be a common misconception, Britain was formed when the Scottish king James IV inherited the English throne and became James I of England, therefore the first King of Britain. In fact if anything it was the English that became part of the Scottish throne. In answer to the questions aren't Italians that live in Rome still 'Roman'?
Didn't "Britain" come from the name given to the entire island "Britania" in the Roman Latin language? I believe this is what the Romans called it way before there was an England and Scotland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 06:30 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,701 posts, read 6,546,407 times
Reputation: 5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Didn't "Britain" come from the name given to the entire island "Britania" in the Roman Latin language? I believe this is what the Romans called it way before there was an England and Scotland.
The point is that people seem to think that England somehow forced the Scots into becoming British, the thing is there were 2 separate kingdoms England/Wales and Scotland until 1603 when the Scottish king took over the English/Welsh throne, in other words in reality it was not the English that took the Scottish throne but actually (although it was in reality mutual) you could say it was the other way around!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 12:37 PM
 
55 posts, read 37,752 times
Reputation: 36
Rome was the she-wolf and Italica was the bull. Rome conquered Italica as they conquered the rest of the empire.

Descendants of Romans are the descendants of Roman citizens, all the inhabitants of the empire from Caracalla onwards 212.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 03:33 PM
 
Location: California
290 posts, read 448,466 times
Reputation: 148
When you say Roman it has several definitions.
1. Any Roman Catholic can make the claim that he follows the Roman religion of the official state church of the Roman empire.
2. Italians speak a Roman(ce) language; Italian. The Latin language was also called the Roman language throughout the Mediterranean.
3. Anybody from the City of Rome can 100% call Themselves Romans, keep in mind that the city of Rome merged with the province of Rome and now the city spans 2000sq miles with a population of over 4.5 million souls.
4. Any citizen of the modern day Roman State(Spain) can call themselves Romans in the same way the Byzantines called themselves Romans even thou being greek and not having the City of Rome within their jurisdiction, because the State Itself was Roman. Theres a great thread on this subject The Modern Day Roman Empire! with alot more information on Spain being the modern day Roman State. Keep in mind that Spain owned half of Italy for a few centuries as well.
Anyways these are the terms and the more of these Apply too you the more Roman you are hahaha

Last edited by goonzy; 01-04-2016 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 03:55 PM
 
Location: California
290 posts, read 448,466 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Only if they are from the city of Rome, as modern Roman Italians. As others have stated, they are proud of their Roman past but know that was 2000 years ago.
Westen Roman empire fell 1500 years ago and the Eastern Roman Empire fell 500 years ago and since then Spain carries the torch. Check your dates is what im saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 04:23 PM
 
11,795 posts, read 4,968,232 times
Reputation: 17935
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The point is that people seem to think that England somehow forced the Scots into becoming British, the thing is there were 2 separate kingdoms England/Wales and Scotland until 1603 when the Scottish king took over the English/Welsh throne, in other words in reality it was not the English that took the Scottish throne but actually (although it was in reality mutual) you could say it was the other way around!
Just curious about this. Was this because Elizabeth I didn't have any children? I should know this, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 06:39 PM
 
18 posts, read 20,093 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The English were not 'British' before the Scots were, this seems to be a common misconception, Britain was formed when the Scottish king James IV inherited the English throne and became James I of England, therefore the first King of Britain. In fact if anything it was the English that became part of the Scottish throne. In answer to the questions aren't Italians that live in Rome still 'Roman'?
I was referring to the "Acts of Union" in 1706 and 1707 which created the Kingdom of Great Britain.

The people that are born in, or become legal residents of the province of Rome are Romans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM
 
Location: California
290 posts, read 448,466 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by montelatici View Post
I was referring to the "Acts of Union" in 1706 and 1707 which created the Kingdom of Great Britain.

The people that are born in, or become legal residents of the province of Rome are Romans
If you were reading any of the previous post you would know that the province of Rome in Italy no longer exist.
looks like you are just arguing about Brittan and Scotland, well this is the wrong thread buddy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top