Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:10 AM

3,127 posts, read 3,823,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
A Jew is more of a culture than a race...
I've only been Jewish for 56 years, and all this time I thought it was a religion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 02:30 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,169,523 times
Most Jews share a genetic substrate of Semitic origin and there are identifying characteristics that come along with that. However, due to the diaspora, Jews tend to also have physical characteristics of the surrounding population. After all, they may have lived in ghettos, but they didn't live in a vacuum.

Jews have lived in central European countries like Germany for well over a thousand years and while a generally endogamic ethnicity, there was intermarriage over the centuries. I have seen ultra Orthodox families where I grew up with members who had some obvious Semitic features alongside children or siblings with very European features. Gene expression is a complex and nuanced thing.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:06 AM

165 posts, read 188,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I've only been Jewish for 56 years, and all this time I thought it was a religion
I think this is where a lot of confusion comes in about what it means to be Jewish. If it's just a religion, then why do atheist, who have Jewish parents, call themselves Jewish?

If they do not believe in G-d, then they have no religion. If they have no religion, then how can they be Jewish?

Old 10-07-2014, 04:40 PM

606 posts, read 1,618,951 times
Most Italians would be much closer to Ashkenazis than Sephardis.

Sephardis in turn are much closer to Iberians, Maltese, Sicilians, some Greeks, Cypriots, Maghrebi peoples and Levantines.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:46 PM

104 posts, read 256,153 times
It depends on the jew and the community they lived in, some jews are converts like russian subbotniks although historically intermarriage and conversion was quite rare, jews who can trace back to the levant like cohanim or levites generally should resemble an eastern Mediterranean population. I myself have descendants paternally who claimed to be cohanim and we constantly were mistaken as southern italian, greek or spanish, many times Eastern Mediterranean with alpine influence I believe this is the case that most mediterranean people come from a common ancestor but also that there was much intermixing with romans and Greeks in the early period.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:25 PM

5,257 posts, read 3,958,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatonekidontheinternet View Post
Just wondering
they aren't but....everyone on earth is turkish lol.

The romans claimed they come from Aeneas - Aeneas was soldier from the Trojan war and Troy is present day Turkey.
The Romans inhabited UK. UK later turned into one of the largest empires and populated America, Australia and what not.

So Turkey -> Rome -> UK -> America.

Everything on earth has started with...turkish lukumi

Simplified version .

Old 02-10-2015, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,447 times
Default How Jews and Italians are related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatonekidontheinternet View Post
What about northern italians?
When we were twelve, approaching our bar mitzvahs, we boys asked the rabbi why Jewish mothers and Italian mothers were so similar.

He shushed us, and warned us not to ever reveal it: the Italian People are descended from Jacob's twin brother, Esau!

I did some research, read the Talmud, Torah, and Midrash, and it was verified. When Jacob received the primary blessing (of prayer, but part of it was that we never lack for anything, which is why Jews are viewed to be wealthy--it was the blessing Issac placed upon us) Esau asked for a blessing as well. So Isaac blessed him with the power of the sword. He intended for Esau to protect his younger brother; he never dreamed that the Italian people would use it to forge an empire!

Old 02-10-2015, 08:59 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,406,730 times
There is just to many funny ways of answering this. I am in between 2 responses:
Actually there is a 3rd one, but I might get in trouble with the mods for it...

I don't know, what does mindcuff says Jews look like ?

That's because Jews lived in Europe for a long time where they fornicated, so now every-one looks Jewish !

Old 02-11-2015, 01:38 AM

663 posts, read 999,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Southern Italians, especially Sicilians, are genetically very similar to Ashkenazi and Sephardi Jews. This could be partly due to that many European Jews have ancestors that lived in central-southern Italy during the Roman Empire (who then moved north), and partly due to that there is also minor amounts of Levantine ancestry in southern Italy dating to Phoenicians, Carthaginians, and also the Neolithic expansion out of the Near East.

Maltese and Cypriots are also close to them too.
On genetic maps.. It s only sicilians close by ashkenazi

Sephardics are far away.. They are in the middle east cluster

Sicilians and ashkenazi are in the edge of the european cluster going slightly towards the middle east, with sicilians more to the european and ashkenazi more to the middle east

The other italian are more in the european cluster, with a gradient north south..northern italians more in it

Old 02-12-2015, 07:25 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,812,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Ashkenazis are originally Khazar (Turk tribe) from Central Asia who converted to Judaism while Sephardics are the original jews have their origin in the middle east.
The Khazar theory is false DNA has shown that, only one vocal scientist still believes that and he has been heavily criticized by his peers. It is an outdated theory heavily promoted by groups that don't believe the Jews belong in Israel they like use it in an attempt to prove the Jews weren't originally from Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe