Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 09:24 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,678,521 times

Advertisements

And which have stayed relatively stable?

I don't know if I'm right, but I get the feeling Madrid is one city which has improved. It seems possibly the 3rd most prominent city in the EU now overall (or is set to be) and is lauded for quality of life and it's metro. Ironical when Spain seems to be struggling.

London is still holding strong given the UK's woes but it's never really sunk. In the 50s it seemed a rather dull place but now it's exciting, international and again can go toe to toe (and in some ways exceed) New York.

Manchester seems to be having a renaissance. Milan in Italy seems booming, at least judging from the massive crowds shopping I saw and the cranes building Italy's first real skyline.

Athens has probably fallen.

I can't really speak for other cities. How do they compare to how they were in say 1990 or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 AM

22,118 posts, read 29,462,933 times
Liverpool declined a lot in the 80s, and has risen a lot this century. I'd say its transformation is amongst the most remarkable.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,665,839 times
Helsinki rose from a yuppie-city neighboring the Soviet Union in the 80's to a truly international and multicultural city. It defeated suburbanization and became a transport and commercial hub on an international scale. As a backlash, the apartment prices are becoming close to Paris.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:19 PM

2,887 posts, read 5,108,748 times
I don't know if Milan has risen in prominence. It has always been perceived as Italy's economic engine (with Torino perhaps) and it hasn't changed. I agree that Madrid's prominence is higher than it used to be, but 3rd in the EU? I guess it depends on the point of view but I'd say in general, Amsterdam and Berlin are still ahead? In my mind, the saying used to be "if you go to Spain, go to Barcelona and Andalusia (Sevilla Cordoba etc), you can skip Madrid", and now Madrid is a must too.

Economically, Warszawa has risen (and Moscow too if you include Russia). I can't really think of any cities that have "fallen"... maybe Barcelona vs. the Olympics peak?

Old 12-26-2013, 03:07 PM

15 posts, read 50,216 times
Lisbon, which is being regarded as new "Barcelona" of Europe. Nowadays culturally it´s at the same level of Madrid and Barcelona, and it´s a resing touristic destination

Lisbon - voted the "coolest" town in Europe by Slate Le premier classement Slate des villes d

Lisbon voted best city destination in Europe 2013 (World Tourism Awards) - Lisbon voted best city destination in Europe - eTurboNews.com

Lisbon - Voted elected 4 most beautilful city in Europe and top 10 for the next decade The 10 MOST BEAUTIFUL CITIES in the World | The Guide to the World's Most Beautiful Places and Sites

Old 12-26-2013, 05:00 PM

6,459 posts, read 8,126,190 times
Oslo, Norway

The Fjord City Project:

West:
  • Filipstad - contruction from 2014->
  • Tjuvholmen
  • Aker Brygge - renovation started in 2013 and will be finished in 2015
  • National Gallery- opening in 2018 - budget: €670 mill
East: Bjørvika Area - will finished in 2020 - total cost: around €10 billion:

Old 12-26-2013, 05:02 PM

978 posts, read 2,041,307 times
Prague is excellent. Fairly low crime, lower cost of living compared to most large European cities.

Paris seems to be declining. Costs keep going up, so does crime. The areas which used to be decent 20-30 years ago are now somewhat ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe