Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:34 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Not everything that is old is nice. While I'm generally for protecting heritage, I think in the case of London there wasn't all that much there anyway.
http://www.londonmuseums.org/nationa...y-Museum-2.jpg

By Michael Crossley

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uJ9biiEr1_...-Cathedral.jpg

http://www.richmond.ac.uk/images/cul...be_theatre.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-06-2014 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 03:10 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Not everything that is old is nice. While I'm generally for protecting heritage, I think in the case of London there wasn't all that much there anyway. I mean Canary Wharf for instance was a pretty decrepit place.
Canary Wharf was a derelict site before construction started - nothing was lost to make way for it. It was a major regeneration project, which most people will view as a good thing. If it involved tearing down attractive old buildings, people would view it as a bad thing.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:07 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It doesn't matter - they are skyscrapers regardless of how tall the Sears Tower is. It's like saying the Empire State Building isn't a skyscraper because it is tiny compared to the Burj Khalifa. Seriously - nobody in their right mind would deny that Madrid's tallest building is a skyscraper.
The problem is that there is no official definition of skyscraper. This 12 meter tall building is also called a skyscraper. I think the definition of 'supertall' at 300 meters height is fair. To me that is a scyscraper, those building in Paris and Madrid are just tall buildings. You are free to call those, including the 12 meter one 'scyscrapers'.
Quote:
Does it really matter, though, that Europe lacks the very tall buildings found elsewhere? Do we need 100-storey skyscrapers? Do we want such monstrosities ruining our beautiful cities?
Not everywhere, but there are areas with a huge shortage of space for housing like London, the Randstad in the Netherlands or Munich. They would make sense there to use the available space more efficiently.

I think we have an aversion against high buildings because in the UK and the Netherlands these 50's and 60's concrete flats with low income housing are just ugly disasters drawing the wrong kind of people. There are problems with those buildings even here today. But if build well, they are just beautiful like the Empire State building or the Sears tower.

In addition, somehow we always lack the funding for such prestige projects, in contrary to the US, Asia and the Middle East. It is great the British have build the Shard which at least somewhat matches up.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:07 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Not everything that is old is nice. While I'm generally for protecting heritage, I think in the case of London there wasn't all that much there anyway. I mean Canary Wharf for instance was a pretty decrepit place.
When I say ''old buildings'' I mean buildings like these;

File:Old war office.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stock Photography image of City of London Bank of England building stock photo pd2389730.jpg

http://www.holidaycheck.com/data/url...1159247841.jpg

Or in Other British Cities...

http://www.enquiringmind.org/Central...brary%2001.jpg
Manchester Library

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lothian/1_1/1_1_5l.JPG

Old town, Edinburgh

If you mean those buildings above me than I don't understand why they need to be demolished to be replaced by skyscrapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The problem is that there is no official definition of skyscraper. This 12 meter tall building is also called a skyscraper. I think the definition of 'supertall' at 300 meters height is fair. To me that is a scyscraper, those building in Paris and Madrid are just tall buildings. You are free to call those, including the 12 meter one 'scyscrapers'.
Quote:
There is no official definition or height above which a building may be classified as a skyscraper.

The first skyscraper type buildings were not tall at all.

Quote:
Not everywhere, but there are areas with a huge shortage of space for housing like London, the Randstad in the Netherlands or Munich. They would make sense there to use the available space more efficiently.
It does make sense to build up but City government they just want to preserve the actual buildings but the view of the buildings too or the skyline..

Quote:
I think we have an aversion against high buildings because in the UK and the Netherlands these 50's and 60's concrete flats with low income housing are just ugly disasters drawing the wrong kind of people. There are problems with those buildings even here today. But if build well, they are just beautiful like the Empire State building or the Sears tower.

In addition, somehow we always lack the funding for such prestige projects, in contrary to the US, Asia and the Middle East. It is great the British have build the Shard which at least somewhat matches up.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-06-2014 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 01-06-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Fair enough, you might say the Channel Tunnel was a somewhat unnecessary European prestige project that costed 15 billion euro's when ships and low cost airlines are a perfectly viable alternative. A few nice skyscapers could have been build for that kind of money.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
The definition of a skyscraper is a building of at least 150m /500ft. There are plenty of skyscrapers in Europe (mostly in London, Moscow, Paris and Frankfurt).

Old 01-06-2014, 05:47 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Quote:
So only 300m+ buildings are skyscrapers? There are 6 skyscrapers in NYC then. There were only 2 before 2007. Same in Hong Kong or Chicago, only 6 such buildings. 300 m / 1000' + is, like you said, the definition of a supertall. Any supertall is a skyscraper. All skyscrapers aren't supertalls. Like said above, a lot draw the limit at 150 m / 500'.

This building is well below the 300 m mark but I think the overwhelming majority would agree that it's a skyscraper. It's only 17 m taller than Madrid's Cristal and Caja Madrid towers:
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=Spruce...0.75,,0,-51.98

Old 01-06-2014, 05:57 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Well London apparently loves them now.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
The definition of a skyscraper is a building of at least 150m /500ft. There are plenty of skyscrapers in Europe (mostly in London, Moscow, Paris and Frankfurt).
No, there is no official definition of skyscraper and even a 40ft building has been called a skyscaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
So only 300m+ buildings are skyscrapers? There are 6 skyscrapers in NYC then. There were only 2 before 2007.
That's right. A building needs a certain height to literally 'scrape the clouds'. The only building I have seen doing that is the Sears Tower, which is far above 300m, btw. That is what I call a skyscraper.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
FAR more beautiful than any 'skyscraper' I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe