U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:11 AM

76 posts, read 76,546 times

Advertisements

Right, Frente Popular were a bunch of henchmen. Franco obtained help from the only sources he could.

Frente Popular obtained help from Stalin (in exchange for all the Spanish gold reserves, one of the most important on the world at that time)...and Franco from Mussolini and Hitler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 02:40 PM

78 posts, read 71,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Portugal and Spain were united as one unified Iberian nation/union from 1580 to 1640
Not quite, they shared a monarch and were in a personal union. Both maintained separate armies and navies, Cortes (rudimentary parliaments) laws and customs throughout this period. However, foreign powers such as the Dutch, French and English all saw Portugal as being under the Habsburgs and therefore an enemy during this period.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:16 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,777,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Portugal (and Spain) might have their problems and might lack things that other European countries have but every country in the World has its problems. Portugal could have been a more succesful country if it were not for its politicans.

I bet you've never even met a Portuguese person because Portuguese people do not brag that their country is so great. Actually, the Portuguese are one of the most humble nationalities in Europe and they are always critising their own country which I personally think it is sad. In addition no one in Portugal says that the Portuguese are like the British.
Here in Brazil we have access to SIC through cable. In fact, I perceive that people in Portugal blame the country all the time. And I never saw that comparison between Portuguese and British, both peoples are not only different but also the opposite from each other in many ways.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:31 PM
AFP

6,885 posts, read 4,185,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Here in Brazil we have access to SIC through cable. In fact, I perceive that people in Portugal blame the country all the time. And I never saw that comparison between Portuguese and British, both peoples are not only different but also the opposite from each other in many ways.

This is so true there is entirely too much pessimism I find it frustrating I discontinued the news channel from Portugal four years ago.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:38 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Portuguese people are really British-like especially when it comes to being organized. Take a TAP flight and you will see that it is exactly like flying British Airways.
You really don't have any clue what you are talking about. There take 6

No offense to British People.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:47 PM
AFP

Quote:
All you have to do is study some history. Sephardic Jews were in the area now known as Portugal way before Portugal even existed.

A lot of them were forced to convert to Catholicism and many changed their last names to Portuguese last names which makes it hard to trace their lineage.

Many Portuguese people are ashamed of their Jewish and Moorish heritage but people like Jorge Sampaio, ex-president of Portugal was very open about his Jewish heritage

There you go again talking about things you don't know about. In the past that was true because of the inquistion which lasted centuries and left a legacy,that is no longer the case some are aware of having Jewish ancestors and aren't ashamed of it, and most Portuguese are aware that we carry some DNA from North Africa. In general the Portuguese people are much less racist than other Europeans it isn't a source of shame, start informing yourself before running at the mouth and looking like a fool.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:03 PM
AFP

Quote:
You are so clueless! I am not going to waste my time addressing all your nonsense but have you ever heard about Mario Machado, Portugal Hammerskins, Partido Revolucionario Renovador? Mario Machado was idolized by many Portuguese people until the ended up in prison.]
Portuguese skinheads is such an odd concept, especially when most Portuguese people have Jewish blood. It shows the backwards mentality of the people in this country.

BTW, I am fluent in both Portuguese and Spanish.
Biggest load of crap I've read so far. The skinheads reference is stupid they are rare in Portugal.

I suppose you want a prize for that also.

Last edited by AFP; 04-28-2015 at 05:36 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 05:17 PM
AFP

Quote:
Portugal and Spain are very similar, culturally. If you look at all the countries they colonized, they are all 3rd world countries with high levels of income disparity, poverty, low levels of educational attainment and usually high crime.

The Portuguese and Spanish way of doing things is very similar-both have this inability to deal with reality as is, they live in a reality that only exists in their minds. The guy from Lisbon who says that Portuguese people are like British is a great example of what I am talking about.

Both have a huge inferiority complex compared to other more developed European countries- Often when I met a Portuguese person, they have this need to brag about how great their country is in an almost delusional manner.

Both cultures can be incredibly racist and classist- they treat South Americans like garbage but then when they go to a more developed country like Switzerland or France, they complain about being treated badly.

And one other cultural factor that is interesting, they always blame their faults and misfortunes on others, which goes together with their inability to face reality as is.

Both cultures are the complete opposite of anything that could lead to progress and development- look at their unemployment rate and the way they handle their economic matters- they are very similar!
This post could be representative of the typical American loudmouth tourist with a superiority complex that makes everyone look bad, has limited superficial knowledge about two countries but runs at the mouth like he understands the the country better than the the the natives and lectures everyone. I say in the process engaging and that behaviour could put one at risk of looking like a fool, just saying.

Last edited by AFP; 04-28-2015 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-30-2016, 03:18 PM

573 posts, read 404,358 times
Repubocrat.-

I do not want to be as hard on you as AFP.-I will try that you overcome Knowledge so extraordinarily wrong and simplistic about Spain.-

Spain is a very old country and has radicals different regions in the geography ,economy history and folk culture.etc

Some regions are very industrialized and rich(with one of the biggest PIB in Europe).-other agricultural less rich that are usually to which tourists go and those who produces impressions like yours that are so absurds.

If you knew well Spain would radically change your thinking and would not despise so much our
culture,for example when it speaks of we old spanish colonies where they predominate the indigenous that however were erradicated in USA.-

Look at the economic low level of the british and French colonies like Haiti,Argelia,Pakistan,Bangladesh etc You do not think only in New Zelanda ,Canada etc

It seems that you do not know that Spain is with Japan in the world the 2 countries with the most life expectancy 82 years of half and that to get this success far above the USA in the Ranking international and that they needs a very good food ,great general medicine and much security and much less crime than those in USA.-

What was said earlier only possible in a country with a high quality of life and very highly developed .-

I think that be very good that in the USA can to have in the future the level of Crime that in Spain one of the lowest in the world.-

As for unemployment that you think it is typical of Spain because we have been through a temporary real estate Crisis from which we are emerging that is,as if you think that in the USA in the 1929 season when that terrible american unemployment of the grat Crisis of 1929 this was typical of the culture of USA.-

Old 12-30-2016, 03:30 PM

749 posts, read 591,787 times
It would be a good idea for mods to take a look at this thread and perhaps close. It doesn't seem like it was started for no purpose other than provocation. Another day on C-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or