Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 06:18 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,899,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Both have a huge inferiority complex compared to other more developed European countries- Often when I met a Portuguese person, they have this need to brag about how great their country in an almost delusional manner.
So they actually have a lot in common with the USA too. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 04:24 PM
F18

542 posts, read 525,447 times
Quote:
Portugal and Spain are very similar, culturally. If you look at all the countries they colonized, they are all 3rd world countries with high levels of income disparity, poverty, low levels of educational attainment and usually high crime.

The Portuguese and Spanish way of doing things is very similar-both have this inability to deal with reality as is, they live in a reality that only exists in their minds. The guy from Lisbon who says that Portuguese people are like British is a great example of what I am talking about.

Both have a huge inferiority complex compared to other more developed European countries- Often when I met a Portuguese person, they have this need to brag about how great their country is in an almost delusional manner.

Both cultures can be incredibly racist and classist- they treat South Americans like garbage but then when they go to a more developed country like Switzerland or France, they complain about being treated badly.

And one other cultural factor that is interesting, they always blame their faults and misfortunes on others, which goes together with their inability to face reality as is.

Both cultures are the complete opposite of anything that could lead to progress and development- look at their unemployment rate and the way they handle their economic matters- they are very similar!
Portugal (and Spain) might have their problems and might lack things that other European countries have but every country in the World has its problems. Portugal could have been a more succesful country if it were not for its politicans.

I bet you've never even met a Portuguese person because Portuguese people do not brag that their country is so great. Actually, the Portuguese are one of the most humble nationalities in Europe and they are always critising their own country which I personally think it is sad. In addition no one in Portugal says that the Portuguese are like the British.

Portuguese are much less racist than other Europeans and if you had been in Europe you would have seen this. Also in France and Switzerland the Portuguese are highly appricated and are viewed as hard workers and honest and integrate better into French and Swiss societies compared to other nationalities (especially immigrants coming from Muslim nations in both countries which face serious diifculties in integrating in both societies).

True that the countries that they colonised are 3rd world with huge problems but most colonised countries by Europeans are 3rd world countries with larger problems than those colonised by Portugal. An example is Haiti which is the poorest country in the Northern Hemisphere and was colonied by France. If you think of several countries that had or has civil wars or conflicts you will realise that these countries were in fact colonised by Britain, Belgium and other European powers. The Portuguese and other European powers did some horrible and treated badly peoples from its former colonies but IMO it is wrong to blame the former colonisers for all of the country's problems.

It is also very ironic that you accuse both Portugal and Spain of treating badly and messing up its former colonisers but many countries around the world became even more impovrished and messed up with the inervention of the Unites States. Had the United States not intervined in other countries they wouldn't be so poor and so war torn.

I bet you've never even set foot in Portugal nor even met a Portuguese person and honsetly your staements are quite igonrant and you are very misinformed. Please do go and inform and educate your self before making xenophobic statetments about a country which you don't even know about.

P.S: At least both countries have universal healthcare and have basic human rights even for the poor and unemployed unlike your dear and great country.

Last edited by F18; 07-18-2014 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 04:46 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,702,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Portugal (and Spain) might have their problems and might lack things that other European countries have but every country in the World has its problems. Portugal could have been a more succesful country if it were not for its politicans.

I bet you've never even met a Portuguese person because Portuguese people do not brag that their country is so great. Actually, the Portuguese are one of the most humble nationalities in Europe and they are always critising their own country which I personally think it is sad. In addition no one in Portugal says that the Portuguese are like the British.

Portuguese are much less racist than other Europeans and if you had been in Europe you would have seen this. Also in France and Switzerland the Portuguese are highly appricated and are viewed as hard workers and honest and integrate better into French and Swiss societies compared to other nationalities (especially immigrants coming from Muslim nations in both countries which face serious diifculties in integrating in both societies).

True that the countries that they colonised are 3rd world with huge problems but most colonised countries by Europeans are 3rd world countries with larger problems than those colonised by Portugal. An example is Haiti which is the poorest country in the Northern Hemisphere and was colonied by France. If you think of several countries that had or has civil wars or conflicts you will realise that these countries were in fact colonised by Britain, Belgium and other European powers. The Portuguese and other European powers did some horrible and treated badly peoples from its colonies but IMO it is wrong to blame the former colonisers for all of the country's problems.

It is also very ironic that you accuse both Portugal and Spain of treating badly and messing up its former colonisers but many countries around the world became even more impovrished and messed up with the inervention of the Unites States. Had the United States not intervined in othe countries they wouldn't be so poor and so war torn.

I bet you've never even set foot in Portugal nor even met a Portuguese person and honsetly your staements are quite igonrant and you are very misinformed. Please do go and inform and educate your self before making xenophobic statetments about a country which you don't even know about.

P.S: At least both countries have universal healthcare and have basic human rights even for the poor and unemployed unlike your dear and great country.
I like Portugal. My grandma on one side was born in Galicia, and spoke Galician. Galician is a form of Portugues. Love visiting Portugal! Wish I had a little flat in Lisboa. The people are wonderful, and somewhat different from the Spanish, not only linguistically. Can't put my finger on it, but each of the countries really has its own unique character.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 PM
F18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I like Portugal. My grandma on one side was born in Galicia, and spoke Galician. Galician is a form of Portugues. Love visiting Portugal! Wish I had a little flat in Lisboa. The people are wonderful, and somewhat different from the Spanish, not only linguistically. Can't put my finger on it, but each of the countries really has its own unique character.
I was not answering to you but to the American who critises other countries without even knowing them. Lisbon is in fact a very beautiful city and I always want to come back as soon as I leave it. I also think that Portuguese and Spaniards are different and distinct peoples.
I am glad that you like Portugal and Galicia which is one of the regions in Spain which I prefer and know very well but honestly I really don't care if people like it or not but what I do not admit is people stating wrong facts as well as nationalism, racism, xenophobia, homophobia or any kind of discrimination which very sadly many people in this forum are.

Last edited by F18; 07-18-2014 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 05:13 PM

8,844 posts, read 8,350,194 times
I'm pretty sure that there is a thread about Portugal and Spain here,and it's pretty long so there might be information that you need.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:37 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,287,806 times
Quote:
I was not answering to you but to the igonrant and dumb American who critises other countries without even knowing them. Lisbon is in fact a very beautiful city and I always want to come back as soon as I leave it. I also think that Portuguese and Spaniards are different and distinct peoples.
There is absolutely no point in arguing with a brainwashed Portuguese person like yourself. You guys live in your own world, so it is not worth wasting my time.

If Portugal is so good, I wonder why so many Portuguese people are leaving in droves to immigrate to places like Mozambique, Angola and Brazil.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:19 PM
F18

Quote:
There is absolutely no point in arguing with a brainwashed Portuguese person like yourself. You guys live in your own world, so it is not worth wasting my time.

If Portugal is so good, I wonder why so many Portuguese people are leaving in droves to immigrate to places like Mozambique, Angola and Brazil.
I am not brainwashed, I have my own opinions and I am a fair person and I do not take sides. I Never stated that Portugal was better than other countries, it has better aspects but also negative ones but you chose to only focus on the negative ones.

Many Portuguese people went to these countries since they were Portuguese colonies and were encouraged by the Portuguese government to settle there. But still many Portuguese people emigrated to Brazil after its independece because it had so much land available and it was much richer than many European countries and was one of the richest in the world. Not only Portuguese people went to Brazil but also many Italians, Spaniards, Germans, Japanese, Polish and Lebanese imigrants settled there.

You just didn't bother to argue with me because frankly you have no answer for what I said.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:45 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,702,487 times
Quote:
I was not answering to you but to the American who critises other countries without even knowing them. Lisbon is in fact a very beautiful city and I always want to come back as soon as I leave it. I also think that Portuguese and Spaniards are different and distinct peoples.
I am glad that you like Portugal and Galicia which is one of the regions in Spain which I prefer and know very well but honestly I really don't care if people like it or not but what I do not admit is people stating wrong facts as well as nationalism, racism, xenophobia, homophobia or any kind of discrimination which very sadly many people in this forum are.
I know. Maybe they don't know what they're missing.

For those who haven't been to Lisbon, or missed most of it when they were there:

Go ride the Santa Justa elevator. I promise you, you will NOT regret it! I rode it so many times my husband got mad at me.

Have vinho verde, oporto, or any of Portugal's unique wines in one of those less known places that only the Portuguese know well (ask them, they'll tell you which places).

Order one of those to-die-for shrimp dishes and your tongue will go crazy, or bacalau.

Stand on the roof of one of those hotels and look out onto the sea at sunset (which looks like eternity!), and you will feel eternal.

The Portuguese were the best explorers. Go to the Museu da Marinha to learn its history of sea travel, from way back!

Walk down the Ruas of the many amazing neighborhoods and see the history, and you will wish you could buy a flat there, or a little residence. Some buildings are decorated with azulejos. Go to the Tile Museum then plan to buy an azulejo and take it home with you. The Portuguese are the kings of handpainted tiles.

Go shopping and see how many wonderful things there are. It's amazing! Ceramics that are extraordinary. If you want really beautiful things to take home, this is the place, and the shopping areas are long and huge, and filled with beauty.

There are flea markets that astound, bakeries that will have you salivating, open air markets, and even malls. One mall is called Vasco da Gama - hello? - 1st European that reached India by ocean!

There are art museums, and towers, and castles.

Hire a tutor a few times to teach you how to speak a little Portuguese.

And if you have time to see a corrida de toros, Portugal does not kill the bull! How do you like that!?

Leave Lisbon and go see how the countryside has granaries of stone that stand on stilts.

And there's much more. I am of Spanish background, but I'll tell you all one thing, you haven't really gotten to know this planet till you've explored Portugal, or just Lisbon if you don't have the money to do more than that. You will leave it a different person entirely.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:49 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,287,806 times
I have never said I hated Portugal. Greece is also a country that has a lot of the same "wonderful" things Portugal has, history, culture, good food, etc.

Does that mean I would want to live there because of that? HELL NO.

I had a great time in Greece and definitely would recommend it to anybody. Just like I tell people about the Algarve and places like Sintra, Praia das Maçãs, etc.

Experiencing these societies as a tourist for a couple weeks is one thing- living in a society like that is totally different and often, a very painful experience.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:33 PM

6 posts, read 9,242 times
I think he or she is talking about why Spain failed to take Brazil when Prince Regent Joao moved to Brazil from Lisbon in 1807.

The languages are close enough to be easily learnt by each other. Portugal is much poorer and backward than Spain, both were not strong enough and lost their colonies earlier than other western counterparts.

For outsiders, both people may look or sound similar, but more portion of Portuguese in Portugal have darker skin and hair color. Portugal also has more people of partial or full African ancestry than Spain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Self Infanticide View Post
Their culture.. foreign policies etc.. I know they have a different language but was wondering about how much of a difference there is between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe