Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:46 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Most Portuguese people have Jewish blood?

Links? References?

Not that I'm challenging this, I'm just interested in this, if this is factual.
All you have to do is study some history. Sephardic Jews were in the area now known as Portugal way before Portugal even existed.

A lot of them were forced to convert to Catholicism and many changed their last names to Portuguese last names which makes it hard to trace their lineage.

Many Portuguese people are ashamed of their Jewish and Moorish heritage but people like Jorge Sampaio, ex-president of Portugal was very open about his Jewish heritage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 07:51 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,861 times
Quote:
Whoa, where is that at!

I'm looking up Meteora, but seems to be a common Greek place name, as I'm google mapping it...
Meteora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Well, that's way easier than google maps

Old 07-20-2014, 11:35 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,581 times
Quote:
Most Portuguese people have Jewish blood?

Links? References?

Not that I'm challenging this, I'm just interested in this, if this is factual.

I guess they are not very different from Spain, around 4 to 5 percent.
There are specific cities were most are descendants of conversed, it all depended on the presence of the Inquisition.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:37 AM

854 posts, read 1,482,152 times
Spanish people like tacos and other spicy foods and Portuguese people like milder foods.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 AM

854 posts, read 1,482,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
It's also an album by Linkin Park from 2003.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I suspect you might be confused big-time???

Check out the per capita rates of crime worldwide.
List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greece has 1.7
Canada has 1.6
Portugal has 1.2
U.K. has 1.0
Spain has .8

But the U.S. has 4.8!!! Huge by contrast with Portugal and Spain. Check how many countries (in addition to the above) have less crime than the U.S.! Even countries I would never have thought would have have less crime than the U.S., DO have less crime than the U.S. Among the many with lower crime than the U.S. are Niger, Iran, Egypt, Liberia, Lebanon, China, Morocco, Algeria, Croatia, Serbia and too many more to mention here.

So I'm not really understanding what you mean by saying that Spain and Portugal are 3rd world countries, when they are very much the first world, while the U.S. is sinking fast.

Of the countries with greatest income disparity, the U.S. comes out on top, which means the difference between rich and poor is LARGE in the U.S.

Check out the World Bank's Gini coefficient here:
List of countries by income equality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Germany has 28.3
Italy has 36.0
Spain 34.7
Portugal 38.5
France 32.7

Meanwhile, the U.S. has 45. Huge, when compared with Portugal and Spain.

Maybe you were thinking of something else entirely and expressed your ideas in reverse?

As for similarities between Portugal and Spain - they are cousins and are somewhat alike in many ways, yet very different.

In general, the US if far more developed than any European country, but the country has pockets of gross underdevelopment and crime.

I'm not talking about immigrants, legal or illegal, but people that have been living in the US during centuries, many of them white.

On the other hand, Spain and Portugal are rather homogeneous societies in comparison with the New World.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
As to tourists - it's truly remarkable to me how in Spain, a huge number of them go to specific places only - primarily certain very touristy beaches that have nothing but beach, sand and sun, liquor and food. Not much else. Huge numbers of them go every year only to get toasted by the sun, to get drunk, and to get laid with one another, then they fly home without having gotten anything more.

I suspect that these tourists do the same d*mned thing in Portugal, Greece, and Italy - get toasted, drunk and laid with one another, then fly home. What a waste of good money, but hey, they leave money, which is great! Cool! Keep coming back to get toasted, drunk and laid, folks! Whatever floats your boat!

But seriously, I would be p-o'd if I'd paid money and that's all I got. Miserable vacation, which they could've easily had back home and saved their money, getting under a sunlamp, then getting drunk at the pub and hopping under the covers for some action, and nothing more.

But they love it!!!!
They don't do any harm and leave good money, "national" tourists can be as idiotic or more.
No, it's far cheaper because people buy "packages" with booze included and their beaches are somewhat "cold" to say the least.
For them, many times it's cheaper to travel in a package than stay home.
Just like Canadians that you find in Cuba, they save money from heating bills by flying to some all-inclusive state-owned roach hotel in some God forsaken "cayo" with swarming clouds of "jejenes", some sort or mosquito with a mechanical drill.
In Spain they don't bother anyone since they have their allocated areas.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:01 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Spanish people like tacos and other spicy foods and Portuguese people like milder foods.
What in the....??

Spanish like tacos? They may or may not, but TACOS are from MEXICO. Not Spain. They aren't commonly found in Spain, at all.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
As to tourists - it's truly remarkable to me how in Spain, a huge number of them go to specific places only - primarily certain very touristy beaches that have nothing but beach, sand and sun, liquor and food. Not much else. Huge numbers of them go every year only to get toasted by the sun, to get drunk, and to get laid with one another, then they fly home without having gotten anything more.

I suspect that these tourists do the same d*mned thing in Portugal, Greece, and Italy - get toasted, drunk and laid with one another, then fly home. What a waste of good money, but hey, they leave money, which is great! Cool! Keep coming back to get toasted, drunk and laid, folks! Whatever floats your boat!

But seriously, I would be p-o'd if I'd paid money and that's all I got. Miserable vacation, which they could've easily had back home and saved their money, getting under a sunlamp, then getting drunk at the pub and hopping under the covers for some action, and nothing more.

But they love it!!!!
They don't do any harm and leave good money, "national" tourists can be as idiotic or more.
No, it's far cheaper because people buy "packages" with booze included and their beaches are somewhat "cold" to say the least.
For them, many times it's cheaper to travel in a package than stay home.
Just like Canadians that you find in Cuba, they save money from heating bills by flying to some all-inclusive roach hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe