Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:18 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
I love that guy. I've seen him in a few movies, in one he was a tough bodybuilder mafia-type kinda guy who deals with drugs. In other he is a nice guy running a worm's farm in a little town and has an affair with the wife of his best friend. Norwegian movies are great, but very difficult to find, I had to join the Scandinavian Club in Barcelona where they have a stock of movies. It's hard to learn Norwegian, it's not easy to get learning material.
I hate Norwegian movies Most are amateurish and even pretentious. The dialogue is often theatrical and plain stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Hi guys, I am gonna move to Oslo, Norway in a few months. I am not "short", but with just 1,70 centimeters I am not definitely tall, let's say just borderline average.

Here in Spain I've become increasingly size conscious during the past years , since it's very common for the younger generations to be at least 1,80, or even 1,90. And not only men, a lot of young girls are my same size or taller.

I am 36 years old.

I'd say around 20-30 per cent of women my same generation are same size or taller than me. But this percentage raises dramatitally for younger women.....I'd say around 40-50 per cent of young women tend to be at least as tall as me.

And that kinda removes sexual attraction....let's face it, men like shorter women, and women like taller men. (in general, of course)

So keep in mind I am talking about Spain,a Southern Europe country where the average size is shorter than Northern Europe. I fear I'll look like a dworf up there.

So I wonder how are gonna be my chances at finding romance? I mean, working and learning Norwegian are gonna be top priorities, but I wanna have some "quality time" and do some "interactions" since I am single and want to enjoy life a little bit before I turn 40.

So I'd like to hear to opinión of people who live in Scandinavia (Norway is basically the same as Sweden and Denmark).

Are Scandinavian women really into taller men? Do I have a chance at all? What's the percentage of women between 20 and 40 who are shorter than 1,70 centimeters?

Besides size, what other traits Scandinavian woman value? (besides the obvious like good looks, money, emotional maturity, etc)

Any advice will be welcome.

Tak skal du ha!
Look, you are a Southern European and that means you are quite the opposite to the Northerners.
In every population there is a certain percentage of it, that is looking for something different, something they don't see around on a daily basis, something... opposite to what they are, and you might be it. ( And that goes both for men and women by the way. )
In no time those girls will start cooing about "how cute" you are, how "charming" is your accent and how "different " you are in many ways.
As I've noticed here in the US for example no one seemed to care that Tom Cruise was 5.7" in heyday - plenty of women were finding him irresistible. (He is still 5'7 I assume, but they've stopped finding him attractive only when he became a creep)))

Old 01-06-2014, 01:33 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Look, you are a Southern European and that means you are quite the opposite to the Northerners.
In every population there is a certain percentage of it, that is looking for something different, something they don't see around on a daily basis, something... opposite to what they are, and you might be it. ( And that goes both for men and women by the way. )
In no time those girls will start cooing about "how cute" you are, how "charming" is your accent and how "different " you are in many ways.
As I've noticed here in the US for example no one seemed to care that Tom Cruise was 5.7" in heyday - plenty of women were finding him irresistible. (He is still 5'7 I assume, but they've stopped finding him attractive only when he became a creep)))
P. S. So as long as you are not dyeing your hair blond and not trying too hard, coming across as someone desperate, you might become a success more than you think)))

Old 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,900 times
Quote:
Hi guys, I am gonna move to Oslo, Norway in a few months. I am not "short", but with just 1,70 centimeters I am not definitely tall, let's say just borderline average.

Here in Spain I've become increasingly size conscious during the past years , since it's very common for the younger generations to be at least 1,80, or even 1,90. And not only men, a lot of young girls are my same size or taller.

I am 36 years old.

I'd say around 20-30 per cent of women my same generation are same size or taller than me. But this percentage raises dramatitally for younger women.....I'd say around 40-50 per cent of young women tend to be at least as tall as me.

And that kinda removes sexual attraction....let's face it, men like shorter women, and women like taller men. (in general, of course)

So keep in mind I am talking about Spain,a Southern Europe country where the average size is shorter than Northern Europe. I fear I'll look like a dworf up there.
Interesting i have a question for you Javier.

Well first of all how do you do with the ladies in Spain? Is Tallness/Height a big thing in partner selection in Spain?

Do you think Norwegians are more choosy than Spanish women? Are Spanish women choosy?

Also do women in Spain like American men? Technically i am a White Hispanic/Latin American but i was born here in the United States. I am 5'11, how would i do with Spanish women?

Spanish women are gorgeous, i just love their accent, even more than the Mexican accent.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:17 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It's 5 feet 7 inches, which makes it 5.57742782 feet for some weird reason.
No, it's not weird. There's 12 inches in one foot, not 10 inches; hence the "weird" decimal. 7 inches is approximately equal to 0.5 feet. 0.5 feet is exactly equal to 6 inches, not 7.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:20 PM

823 posts, read 1,974,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Interesting i have a question for you Javier.

Well first of all how do you do with the ladies in Spain? Is Tallness/Height a big thing in partner selection in Spain?

Do you think Norwegians are more choosy than Spanish women? Are Spanish women choosy?

Also do women in Spain like American men? Technically i am a White Hispanic/Latin American but i was born here in the United States. I am 5'11, how would i do with Spanish women?

Spanish women are gorgeous, i just love their accent, even more than the Mexican accent.

The ladies in Spain tend to like American men, especially during crazy summer nights on the beach. I guess they don´t really care too much if it's for a short thing....but more choosy for long term stuff.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:21 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
5'7" is a good height, OP. My favorite, in fact. And quite a few Scandinavian men are around that height. So you shouldn't have any problem. And while you're there, make a point of exploring the country, taking vacations to other cities, towns. Someone posted on the forum recently that in rural areas, there's more of a variety of physical types, and also, you might feel less overwhelmed by huge crowds, less lost. You might get noticed more. And remember: variety is the spice of life. Dark hair and dark eyes are SUCH a refreshing change from the "all blond all the time" channel! Besides, there's a smattering of darker hair and dark eyes among Norwegians, too.

There's a lot of info on the internet re: dating customs in Norway. I suggest you do some research before your trip. Good luck. Let us know how you do. But I think that if you're friendly and approach women to chat, you'll make off like a bandit! (You'll see what I mean when you do that research.)

Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 PM

545 posts, read 866,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'm not of very tall stature, but I've been good with the ladies. Because I'm a brilliant cook, even better lover, immensely good looking, rich, humble and honest and I'm a neurosurgeon-fireman. Did I forget something? Oh, right, my hobbies are riding and I hate sports and beer.

Then there's this Norwegian guy, let's call him Björgen. He is 195 cm tall, but besides his biceps he has no good qualities. Is he or me getting some "action"? Did Al Pacino moan "I'm so short, nobody's gonna like me"? No. And if someone who's short, ugly, insecure and stupid, like Sarkozy, got a rather nice wife, you can do it as well.
Yeah but "you"'re gay.

Haha.

Just kidding.
Conclusion. To bang some tall Norwegian chicks, become a French president or one of the most famous Hollywood star. You're welcome OP
Or just be yourself. It works with the right girls, and doesn't with the others.
By the way, Norwegians women average height is 167cm. Maybe 170cm in your generation. So you can expect something like half the women to be smaller than you.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:33 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,872 times
Why do you want to go with Swedish women OP? I think that Spanish women are gorgeous. I guess maybe Spain has changed a lot over the last 20 or 30 years, as I've heard from some Spanish friends that Spanish women are not feminine like Eastern European, Asian, or Latin American women. Many of them have actually moved to Latin America or Asia and married and dated women there...they haven't looked back to Spanish women and haven't regretted it...

Hey don't shoot the messenger, this is what they've said.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 PM

485 posts, read 2,245,872 times
But that doesn't make sense, Swedish women, since they're northern european, wouldn't they actually be harder than Spanish women? Wouldn't that mean that they would be less feminine, more full of themselves, materialistic, be ridiculously entitled to just about everything, play that "I'm gonna be reserved and boring and hard to get" game?? I'm sorry, it's just that I think women here in the US are bad enough, can't imagine Sweden. I wouldn't touch a Swedish woman with a 10 foot pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe