Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freader View Post
fire bottles are not weapon
It is a terrible weapon. See how quickly burned equipment:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=620704324668475
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 12:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
I'm from Kyiv and I can answer at least for your first question.
Today I was on maidan and put 500usd into a glass box in which people who supports protests put their money everyday. Also volunteers bring food, medicaments and car tires.
And I dont support opposition but I support protesters (these are not the same), and I want Yanukovich to fall.
So, tell me this; Yanukovich was elected president of Ukraine, why do you think you and others reserve the right to remove a democratically elected person?

If you do not like the president, you do what civilized countries do in which you vote the president out during the next election.

Problem for you and others is, you are the minority, you will not gain enough votes to remove Yanukovich if he chooses to run in 2015. Knowing this, you and others decide to circumvent the democratic process and try to impose your will onto the majority without due process.

There are people in the US who want Obama out, and Congress is at an all time low approval rating, but people are not in the streets trying to force the US government to step down so they can place their own, un-elected person in charge, people simply wait for the next election and vote.

The protesters cannot simply want a democratic Ukraine, yet not show any adherence to such ideals.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:29 PM

If protesters against Russia, then they should be supported. And those who have died are not sorry.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:29 PM

25 posts, read 20,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
And who will be instead of him? Is Ukraine has a real political leader today who can cure the situation? The answer is NO!!!
Yes, Yanukovich is really bad. But he is the only one who can stop this anarchy and lawlessness.
Yanukovich's fall would stop violency at a moment.
To be honest I can't imagine who can be worse than Yanukovich at all.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post

Nobody was killed with this "terrible weapon" from police's side.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post

The BTR-80 has anti-fire equipment, some have ABC equipment. The only harm to the APC can be made by burning the wheels. You think GAZ would build military vehicles who burst into fire that easily?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Police started to shoot at protesters in January on Grushevskogo street and used not only rubber bullets.
You've shown video "Action protesters February 18". Is it a trick ?
Stones and fire bottles are not weapon.
Yes they are, very much are.

The Ukrainian gov has been very tolerant of these protesters, any other gov in the world would not have let the protesters go this far. The US for example would never allow protesters to storm gov buildings, hold hostage police, etc. The US would have even called National Guard troops in the quell the protests, using deadly force if needed.

Heck, the US and local gov's used many legal means, and more forceful means, to get the Occupy Wall Street crowd to disperse, and the US gov just sentenced an 84 year old woman to three years prison for her simple protest of a nuclear facility (she broke in and spray painted the walls). Now tell me, the US just sentenced someone to THREE YEARS PRISON for just breaking through a fence and spray painting; do you not at all think the US gov would respond with force if it was masses of protesters storming buildings and looting weapons?

You need to drop this "Ukraine gov oppressive" attitude, the gov is responding like any other gov would, and even more tolerant than most would.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Nobody was killed with this "terrible weapon" from police's side.
Dozens of police received burns of varying severity, when standing in the cordon. Several people were in intensive care for burns. This is a terrible weapon that was used more partisans in World War II.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, tell me this; Yanukovich was elected president of Ukraine, why do you think you and others reserve the right to remove a democratically elected person?

If you do not like the president, you do what civilized countries do in which you vote the president out during the next election.

Problem for you and others is, you are the minority, you will not gain enough votes to remove Yanukovich if he chooses to run in 2015. Knowing this, you and others decide to circumvent the democratic process and try to impose your will onto the majority without due process.

There are people in the US who want Obama out, and Congress is at an all time low approval rating, but people are not in the streets trying to force the US government to step down so they can place their own, un-elected person in charge, people simply wait for the next election and vote.

The protesters cannot simply want a democratic Ukraine, yet not show any adherence to such ideals.
Lukashenko was elected people also many years ago. But it was the last free election in Belarus.
Yanukovich with previous president Kuchma already falsificated election in 2003 and he has not changed.
And we are not the minority. In 2010 Yanukovich's opponent Yulia Timoshenko was not an appropriate candidate for many people who want Ukraine to be a democratic european country. Conversely all who want back to USSR and to Russia voted for Yanukovich. I think we are 51-60% of Ukraine.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Yanukovich's fall would stop violency at a moment.
To be honest I can't imagine who can be worse than Yanukovich at all.
Yea, many protesters in history could not imagine a worse leader; victims of Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Ayatollah Khomeini, etc, all thought they were better than what was replaced.

Apparently even the Ukrainian people think Yanukovich was a better choice than all others due to him winning the elections, even against Tymoshenko who failed miserably as prime minister.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe