Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if this is happening at all in Europe. I was just reading on the internet that Brazilian Portuguese has even incorporated a lot of English words into everyday use, particularly for nouns and store bought items.

If a language as different from English as Portuguese is doing this it made me wonder if this phenomenon was happening in other Germanic language speaking countries. I have been to both Holland and Germany and everyone I met was fluent in English, so this leaves an even bigger opportunity for English to invade the local vocabulary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:40 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,535,684 times
I notice in Germany a lot that people will just break in to not only just english words, but entire phrases. A lot of advertising and media is also half or entirely in english, seemingly moreso in Berlin.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:46 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
I believe even young people in France insert random English words into their sentences - especially curse words.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:10 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
As the world 'shrinks' languages and accents will 'morph' together more and more.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:49 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,802 times
I can really talk only for Italian.
Here English, whereas widely used (we do not Italianize foreign words like Finns or Frenchmen) in technical words (especially in the computer and high-tech industry), is nowhere close to either invade or replace Italian vocabulary, given that Italian has a much wider range of curse words and blasphemies than English, this isn't likely to occur for curse words (as the above user said) neither.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Don't forget that English itself is a mix of Latin, French, German, Scandinavian etc etc words - its just how languages of the world change and develop over long periods of time.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:58 AM

20,762 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I am German.

My parents never had English in school. I had English class from grade 5-10. My nices are teenagers and they have English starting in first grade now.

I was just in Germany during Christmas and was surprised how many English words my nieces use in their everyday conversations. Especially when it comes to texting abbreviations. I come from the country side and found it interesting to see "SALE" signs in the store windows. When I grew up in the 80's-90's, these signs were all in German.

Lots of American Movies titles don't get translated anymore either.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I have been to both Holland and Germany and everyone I met was fluent in English, so this leaves an even bigger opportunity for English to invade the local vocabulary.
My understanding was that the more multilingual is a society or a country, the better they preserve their own language.
The wrong habit would be the opposite of this: People that never received a solid grounding in a second language, but mispronouncing some words of it combined with their own native language, as for instance some Mexicans do when they speak Spanglish.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:26 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
I think it is a little sad! With the rapid pace that this seems to be occurring I just hope that a hundred years from now all of Germanic Europe isn't speaking only English. :/ I'm sure that people are proud of their languages though and will protect them over the generations.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:30 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I think it is a little sad! With the rapid pace that this seems to be occurring I just hope that a hundred years from now all of Germanic Europe isn't speaking only English. :/ I'm sure that people are proud of their languages though and will protect them over the generations.
I don't see that happening anytime soon... While most people speak some gibberish English, the language of choice is still German here. Heck, most people even struggle to speak proper German now that I think about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe