Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 11:23 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selma007 View Post
True the weather shouldn't be a factor... the jobs are the same... I'm really lost...
thanks for your answers...maybe someone can give me tips about the mentality...
BTW thanks for your answers guys !! Hope someone who lived in both cities can enlighten me...I'm just afraid Berlin do not offer a lot to people more than 35...I do not seek for nightlife...know it has good restaurants like Paris !
The only difference, Paris is much more expensive... first element to choose berlin, but not enough !!
Any other ideas, answers please ??
Berlin,also has a good variety of restaurants,night clubs.
I would go with the money,who offers a better pay & which place is cheaper everything else is secondary.
Berlin is the best choice,Paris is all hype, not worth the reputation,expensive,very dangerous,generally not very friendly to foreign visitors.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 AM

233 posts, read 333,286 times
Berlin. Paris is really overrated (Eiffel Tower, Champs Elysees,...). There is nothing exceptional except for the amazing food they have.
Berlin:
- friendlier atmosphere
- more interesting history and museums
- people are not arrogant like "les Parisiens"
- location in central Europe is much more interesting (gateaway to Bavaria, Danemark, Scandinavia, Netherlands, Czeck Republic...)
- more outdoor activities possible (lakes, Baltic Sea, Hamburg, Dresden, hiking in the Harz mountains...)
- more dynamic life (nightlife, restaurants, pubs)
- but more relaxed than Paris (less stress because the city is more spread out, better urban planning, more green space...)
- better salaries/ job opportunities (Germany is Europe's leading country, at least economically if not on all aspects)
- cost of living is better (less expensive than Paris)
- people speak English!
- more liberal
etc..
Berlin wins!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:40 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon-9 View Post
- location in central Europe is much more interesting (gateaway to Bavaria, Danemark, Scandinavia, Netherlands, Czeck Republic...)
Paris is closer to the Netherlands. Add Belgium (1h25 to Brussels by train), the UK (2h15 to London by train), the Atlantic/Channel coast; the Mediterranean, the Alps and Switzerland 3 hours away by train, closer to Spain as well. Which one is "much more interesting" depends on each person's tastes. Ditto for history and museums. Anyway the OP has made her choice by now.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,154 times
If the person is looking for a better paying job and a cheaper place to live then Berlin is the best choice,everything else is not important to the issue.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:56 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
To live in: Berlin
To visit: Paris

Old 02-03-2014, 01:16 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
In France..yes. In the U.S. and many other countries, that's where the money is.
US suburbs suck despite the money.
People practically need their car to do every single thing in life, and there is usually nothing, absolutely nothing but rows and rows of houses with their boring yards, and they are all dead quiet 24/7.
On the weekend, people waste most of their leisure time doing house work (repairing this and that, cleaning all the unoccupied rooms that get used once every 4 months)
Utterly pathetic lifestyle.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:35 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
US suburbs suck despite the money.
People practically need their car to do every single thing in life, and there is usually nothing, absolutely nothing but rows and rows of houses with their boring yards, and they are all dead quiet 24/7.
On the weekend, people waste most of their leisure time doing house work (repairing this and that, cleaning all the unoccupied rooms that get used once every 4 months)
Utterly pathetic lifestyle.
So true.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 PM

449 posts, read 640,667 times
To live, i'll pick Berlin, Paris is more expensive and stressfull city but to visit the winner is Paris

Also agree with Botticelli about the US suburban lifestyle.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:50 PM

15 posts, read 33,827 times
Hello guys, well thanks a lot and Vernon-9 listed perfectly all the assets of Berlin, Worthy of its reputation !! I'am in Paris at the moment, and well it smells of wee in the subway and in some areas...I found the city quite dirty in some places, many tramps in quite a few corners, quite expensive to go out for dinner...and I still didn't find any flat for 700 euros !!
I'm disappointed, quite a lot, I would say ! I won't spend my time in front of monuments, but certainly more in the overcrowded subway ! At the rush hour, even New York subway sounds better !! Too stressful...and that's one of the points that make me think Berlin might be quite a lot better !!

So let's try Berlin... Thanks to everybody for your in-depth recommendations !!

Old 02-03-2014, 05:04 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Paris IMO Paris is like its own country & Berlin is supposedly a big country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe