Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:17 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selma007 View Post
I speak fluently five languages, among them french...
I've studied german 1 year and do not understand anything when I hear people talking in german... The german company precised I'll have the possibility to have german classes...but when ?? I'll be probably starting at 8:00 AM till I don't know what time...
Paris is cold in winter for sure, but Berlin was worse as I've experienced !!
Paris is far to be 'very cold'. Winters average highs are around 7/8c, in Berlin it is between 3/4c. This is an average of 4c more in Paris, which about the same kind of difference than between Paris and Rome.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:07 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
That's for the city of Berlin (city limits) and not the metropolitan area.
Note that the GDP per capita of the City of Paris is above 100k dollars.
Obviously as the city proper is small, this number is increased because the high number of commuters from the suburbs.
The city proper of Berlin is bigger, so the difference with the metropolitan area number is less important.

Anither interesting note the small City of Paris (2 million inh) has a bigger GDP than the metropolitan area of Berlin (5 million inh).
Berlin is a city sate. No such thing as Metro. That's already a different state and not just different towns.

If you base your decision on the weather, you'll be disappointed. Paris isn't Las Palmas. The winter isn't better than in Berlin. And I doubt you will be able to increase your salary offer by 30% +.
But I think everything has been said. Good luck.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 AM

15 posts, read 33,829 times
I perfectly Paris is not las Palmas, and do not base my decisions on the weather, that would be quite stupid !!! just making the balance between these cities...Berlin win with the cost of living/power purchase and Paris for the architecture...
I'd like to receive opinions from foreign people living in berlin...

Old 02-09-2014, 02:28 PM

101 posts, read 158,937 times
If you are going to earn more or less the same, you'll live a much more comfortable life in Berlin. Wouldn't say the same if it was Frankfurt or Munich, though.

Of course it will depend on where you would plan to live in Berlin. Central Berlin is almost as expensive as central Munich these days.

Last edited by Phosphorus; 02-09-2014 at 02:38 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 06:30 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,591,823 times
Quote:
I perfectly Paris is not las Palmas, and do not base my decisions on the weather, that would be quite stupid !!! just making the balance between these cities...Berlin win with the cost of living/power purchase and Paris for the architecture...
I'd like to receive opinions from foreign people living in berlin...
If you go by architecture,then it's not Paris or Berlin anymore,it's Sanaa in Yemen,lol !!

The fine arts of architecture in yemen

Last edited by scobby; 02-09-2014 at 06:48 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 03:27 PM

15 posts, read 33,829 times
Thanks for this parenthesis scobby, doesn't seem to bad, if I was not worried about the place...listed as one of the most dangerous place in the planet...
Any other suggestions, for the moment, Berlin wins !!!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:13 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,591,823 times
Quote:
Thanks for this parenthesis scobby, doesn't seem to bad, if I was not worried about the place...listed as one of the most dangerous place in the planet...
Any other suggestions, for the moment, Berlin wins !!!
You're welcome,lol !!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:43 AM

820 posts, read 953,803 times
You have to be crazy to accept a job in Germany when you can get one in France.
Maybe you don't know, like many people here apparently, working in Germany means working HARD and a lot whereas working in France is by far more relaxed.
bank holidays in France:
Ban holidays in Germany:
Free days in France:
Free days in Germany:
extra day off (RTT) in France:
if you work more than 35 hours a week, the rest it is extra day off (free days or paid days)
extra day off in Germany:
you have to work more than 39hours...it is a BIG BIG BIG difference
And in France you retire at 55, 60 or 62...

I personnaly signed a permanent contract in Paris (35h contract). If you have a classic 35 hours (a week) contract, you will finally earn a lot more by working 40 hours for instance. You will get 5h each week for the RTT like me and finally take 30 more free days.
Not to mention coffee break. In Germany you have 5 minutes in the morning and 5 during the afternoon and just 1 hour for having lunch. In France you can easily get 10 or 20 minutes in the morning, and in the afternoon and taking 1hour30 or 2hours for lunch even if your contract stipulate 1 is really common in France.

PS: the German economy is absolutely not sustainable. In some years, Germany will face up big economic problems

Last edited by amaroW; 02-21-2014 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 08:35 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
Maybe you don't know, like many people here apparently, working in Germany means working HARD and a lot whereas working in France is by far more relaxed.
bank holidays in France:
Ban holidays in Germany:
Free days in France:
Free days in Germany:
if you work more than 35 hours a week, the rest it is extra day off (free days or paid days)

I personnaly signed a permanent contract in Paris (35h contract). If you have a classic 35 hours (a week) contract, you will finally earn a lot more by working 40 hours for instance. You will get 5h each week for the RTT like me and finally take 30 more free days.
Not to mention coffee break. In Germany you have 5 minutes in the morning and 5 during the afternoon and just 1 hour for having lunch. In France you can easily get 10 or 20 minutes in the morning, and in the afternoon and taking 1hour30 or 2hours for lunch even if your contract stipulate 1 is really common in France.

PS: the German economy is absolutely not sustainable. In some years, Germany will face up big economic problems
So working hard isn't sustainable but making coffee breaks and other stuff which may last up to 30 mins or even more is? No wonder the economy of France stands there where it is today - knee-deep in ****.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:01 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
bank holidays in France:
Ban holidays in Germany:
Free days in France:
Free days in Germany:
And in France you retire at 55, 60 or 62...

Your numbers are wrong. Next time include your sources, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe