Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 05:26 AM

400 posts, read 292,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamMetal View Post
SvenM didnt invite them for sure, I highly doubt he was even alive when all this Gastarbeiter stuff began...

This is the difference of mentality between Germans and Turks easily exposed in the way you responded him. You see people as collective, in the way modern Germans are responsible of what germans might have done in the past, and even if he was living in such time with the chance to have some implication in such desicion, it wouldnt be his "fault".
He didn’t invite them? Really? And I was thinking he signed the invitation letter himself. Do you have proof he didn’t invite the Turks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 08:41 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh but they don't Neuling.
(well, may be 5%; the rest 95% - not.)
Yes it's true that Southern Germans look different comparably to people in other areas, but it still doesn't equal Arabic/Turkish look.
Quote:
Dont make a silly of yourself, syrians dont blend in Southern Germany, I Was doing exchange in Schwarzwald/Baden areas, and the people look typically germanic albeit not as extremely northern European as the Northern Germans, they still look like germanic people in facial features/structure, body types, overall height and and how common blond/red blue eyes are. And no, Syrians, TUrks, Bulgarians, Portuguese, Spanish, Italians, and even the French from the other side of the border can be told solely by their appearance. Even Joachim Low who is at one extreme of German appearance still look germanic if you look at his facial shape (nose, eyeset, face structure) Syrians at most could blend in Portugal, italy, spain and Maybe areas of france with lot of mediterranean input, but not Anywhere north of the Alps.

THose Syrians

https://www.aljazeera.com/mritems/im...86814dc_18.jpg

https://tvo.org/sites/default/files/...led-family.jpg

look the same as those southern-germans

https://www.forstpolitik-umweltpolit...die-waldstudie

http://esg-fr.de/neu2013/wp-content/...7124503453.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
This applies only to a minority, there are actually Turks that look like white Europeans, Pinar Atalay e.g., however the majority of Turks is rather dark and do no way look like ethnic Germans or Middle Europeans. Ethnic Germans that look like Turks are an exception as well (I've yet met only one), even in the South-West. Arabs that look white are a total exception and said to be descendants from the crusaders, though Syrians might not stick out from the crowd of other aliens in Germany.

This girl is Palestinian, amazing:

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=51913049
SW Germany is by far not the "darkest" corner of Germany, some of their ancestors actually moved there from the Elbe river in northern Germany, so you actually find a lot of Nordic people in SW Germany. The SE corner is the "darkest". The region where I grew up.

While of course the majority of Germans there don't look like Arabs or Turks, some Germans do look Mediterranean. For instance due to mixing during Roman times. And since Germans know that there are Germans that don't look like prototypical Nazi boys, they can't tell whether a southern looking person is German or an immigrant, judging from their looks alone. There are Bavarians that would definitely look alien to people in Hamburg, but they couldn't tell that they are Bavarians, until they speak, of course

The talk about facial structure etc. is nonsense. A country of 80+ million people that has been in the center of countless migrations across Europe doesn't have one German facial structure.
I don't even consider Löw at one extreme of German looks as someone said.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:02 PM

30 posts, read 20,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
SW Germany is by far not the "darkest" corner of Germany, some of their ancestors actually moved there from the Elbe river in northern Germany, so you actually find a lot of Nordic people in SW Germany. The SE corner is the "darkest". The region where I grew up.

While of course the majority of Germans there don't look like Arabs or Turks, some Germans do look Mediterranean. For instance due to mixing during Roman times. And since Germans know that there are Germans that don't look like prototypical Nazi boys, they can't tell whether a southern looking person is German or an immigrant, judging from their looks alone. There are Bavarians that would definitely look alien to people in Hamburg, but they couldn't tell that they are Bavarians, until they speak, of course

The talk about facial structure etc. is nonsense. A country of 80+ million people that has been in the center of countless migrations across Europe doesn't have one German facial structure.
I don't even consider Löw at one extreme of German looks as someone said.

I live in the North of the Country and Löw is an extreme, he is in the darkest end of Ethnic germans.

Yes there is variation among ethnicGermany but 99% of Ethnic Germans still look within the germanic variation, I mean people like Low, Beckenbauer, etc. Now there are odd cats types like Matt Hummels, who going down in the family tree might have some mediterranean /turkish/near eastern ancestry who dont look typically German. Abroad you might often confuse Germans for Dutch, Danes, and other German Speakers, you dont usually mix groups of Germans with Greeks,Spanish, Italians, French or British. Eastern Europeans can blend individually in germany but as a group (even Poles) are quite noticeable.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:12 PM

I am German, lived in several corners of that country for decades, I just can't confirm that 99% of Germans look Germanic. Also, Germanic is not German. Brits, Dutch, Norwegians etc. are also Germanic, so your "Germanic variation" is pretty broad to begin with.
A lot of Germans tan pretty well, not all turn red My mom also turns pretty dark in the summer.
Löw's features are no extreme at all, he could be from anywhere in Germany, and beyond.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I am German, lived in several corners of that country for decades, I just can't confirm that 99% of Germans look Germanic. Also, Germanic is not German. Brits, Dutch, Norwegians etc. are also Germanic, so your "Germanic variation" is pretty broad to begin with.
A lot of Germans tan pretty well, not all turn red My mom also turns pretty dark in the summer.
Löw's features are no extreme at all, he could be from anywhere in Germany, and beyond.

Brits are Western European mix, Not germanic, Same as the French.

Germanics: Scandinavians, Dutch, GErmans.

Well typical germanics tan well, Most Swedes, Dutch and GErmans tan well, although there is a minority who turn red.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Brits are Western European mix, Not germanic, Same as the French.

Germanics: Scandinavians, Dutch, GErmans.

Well typical germanics tan well, Most Swedes, Dutch and GErmans tan well, although there is a minority who turn red.
Brits have a huge Germanic heritage (for example the Angles and Saxons). So does France, whose name comes from the Franks, which was a bunch of Germanic tribes.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Brits have a huge Germanic heritage (for example the Angles and Saxons). So does France, whose name comes from the Franks, which was a bunch of Germanic tribes.
My point is both of those Nations are very mixed and most of their DNA isnt GErmanic, rather gallo-romance in the case of french, and pre-celtic in the case of Brits, At least that has been my impression also experiencing their culture and living among their people. Belgians For example are more germanic than both easily, But still nowhere as GErmanic as the Dutch or Most Germans, you can also see those things in National character. Czech Republic has a huge Germanic influence, but nobody talks about it and assume it as a typical west slavic country.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:17 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Why would it be good or bad? It's just different.
No, it is defintely good or so I was taught. I don't challenge what I am taught and the television tells me.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:26 PM

630 posts, read 526,099 times
Quote:
I live in the North of the Country and Löw is an extreme, he is in the darkest end of Ethnic germans.

Yes there is variation among ethnicGermany but 99% of Ethnic Germans still look within the germanic variation, I mean people like Low, Beckenbauer, etc. Now there are odd cats types like Matt Hummels, who going down in the family tree might have some mediterranean /turkish/near eastern ancestry who dont look typically German. Abroad you might often confuse Germans for Dutch, Danes, and other German Speakers, you dont usually mix groups of Germans with Greeks,Spanish, Italians, French or British. Eastern Europeans can blend individually in germany but as a group (even Poles) are quite noticeable.
There are plenty of people looking like Ozil and Khedira these in Germany. In fact, the future German phenotype is looking more and more Middle Eastern/Sub Saharian and less "Aryan". Better get used to it. They are your people too, and they're not going anywhere.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:01 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
There are plenty of people looking like Ozil and Khedira these in Germany. In fact, the future German phenotype is looking more and more Middle Eastern/Sub Saharian and less "Aryan". Better get used to it. They are your people too, and they're not going anywhere.
And why should good-looking people be replaced with err... not so good-looking?
The world is all about striving to perfection as the ultimate goal, not the other way around.

So not gonna happen.
Russians are already preparing their "Iskanders" ( or whatever they call them,) and things are coming to fruition in Syria.

So it's all good, nothing to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe