Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 01:04 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I agree with that.
Except for not ALL Ukrainians unanimously want it, and the interests of the East are not the same as the interests of the West of the country.
They do. Not even in the rebel areas more than 25% want a separate "novorossija", polls show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 01:15 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
They do. Not even in the rebel areas more than 25% want a separate "novorossija", polls show.
What "polls"?
Your personal polls conducted by you, Ariete?

Old 09-23-2017, 01:46 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
What "polls"?
Your personal polls conducted by you, Ariete?
No, independent sources.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, independent sources.
And we should believe those "independent sources..." exactly why?

Old 09-23-2017, 01:59 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
And we should believe those "independent sources..." exactly why?
and why should people believe Russian polls? not a very strong argument you presented.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
and why should people believe Russian polls? not a very strong argument you presented.
And what do "Russian polls" say about the wishes of people in Eastern Ukraine?
I have no idea about the polls, I look at the map that clearly shows the demarcation line;

https://img.washingtonpost.com/pbox....ias&t=20170517

Old 09-23-2017, 02:34 PM

100 posts, read 103,261 times
I've already made a thread about this , but I'll repost my questions here since I haven't got any replies .

Anyways are there parts of Ukraine outside the Donbass region that ( more or less ) function as de facto independent states outside of the control of the government in Kiev ? Could the government of Kiev rein in rogue person of influence if they ( let's say ) openly defied their directives ?

Also is Ukraine in general a fertile climate for shady businessman wanting to profit off instability ?

Old 09-23-2017, 02:34 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,857,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
If Ukrainians want to be part of EU, even if they turn out like Romania, Bulgaria, or Greece, why stop them. It's their country and they can do whatever they want with it. If they feel this is the only way to reduce corruption in Ukraine then so be it. Russia can still have friendly relationships with EU countries, from what I can tell Russia and Hungry are still pretty friendly with each other. Plus if it's as bad as you guys make it out to be they can always leave like the UK did, it's a long and costly proses, but possible non the less.
The actual answer has been given. Putin cannot allow a Russian speaking Ukraine to join the civilized west and prosper. It would mean he and his system's eventual downfall. He knows exactly that as he lived through it in Germany in the late 80s. Think about it, if Ukraine prospers after joining the league of liberal democracies, Putin's government system cannot compete and is hosed. So he must employ anything and everything to keep this from happening.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Chode View Post
I've already made a thread about this , but I'll repost my questions here since I haven't got any replies .

Anyways are there parts of Ukraine outside the Donbass region that ( more or less ) function as de facto independent states outside of the control of the government in Kiev ? Could the government of Kiev rein in rogue person of influence if they ( let's say ) openly defied their directives ?

Also is Ukraine in general a fertile climate for shady businessman wanting to profit off instability ?
I will try to look into it, because I hear/see the controversial reports so far.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:56 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Russians lack a fundamental understanding of how freedom and democracy turn into higher standards of living. They are not at all uniquie to this lack of understanding as many countries with authoritarians at the helm keep their their populace ignorant about the relationship between liberal democracy and prosperity. They don't get how accountable governments create a system based on rules of law and how that turns into prosperity . Eastern Ukrainians probably don't get this either as they are kept in their ignorant world with Russian TV as their source. Western Ukrainians were more exposed to Europe and how prosperity washed over it after we brought them this system of government post WW2 (same system we brought to Japan, South Korea and Taiwan). So it does make sense that even now you have views that democracy is somehow bad in the areas where Russia is the source of knowledge.
How large is the western Ukrainian diaspora? There's a lot of ukrainians in my neck of the woods and almost all of them come from Rivna and Lvov. When you ask one of them you can be surprised if they don't come from there. You meet a few Russians but far and away the majority are from the west of ukraine. I think a lot of the EE countries have gotten rid of their populations who fled to the west for economic reasons. That's not a success story.

No DKM, you're not even in the same league and about all you can do is dodge questions and post crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe