Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 06:22 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Not likely, there's no evidence of the Jewish/Yiddish religion in the history but there is Roman Catholicism so it's most likely Polish. There is also Orthodox Christian if I remember correctly.
Many Jews were very flexible about religion, and it is so far in the past you can't be seriously talking about evidence. In Russian Empire Jews baptized into Orthodoxy became Russians, as in ethnic Russians, as far as the state was concerned. It is only much later a jew remained a jew for authorities no matter what he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 06:30 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Many Jews were very flexible about religion, and it is so far in the past you can't be seriously talking about evidence. In Russian Empire Jews baptized into Orthodoxy became Russians, as in ethnic Russians, as far as the state was concerned. It is only much later a jew remained a jew for authorities no matter what he did.
My mom found an old picture somewhere of a great great grandmother of my father (1860s?) with an icon, the type Orthodox Christians have. Nothing Jewish though.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm an American. Born in Norway Wisconsin and raised largely in Montana.

My second wife was from Gomel Belarus. She came to America in the early 90s. She took care of my company's travel arrangements and I started going to Russia in 1994, regularly until 2008. I know people there and since we raised 2 daughters together one of them has a father in Moscow.

I care little for all the ignorance in the west concerning Russia. Russian people are like anyone else on level playing field and damn better when it comes to weathering hardship and adversity. I also deeply resent the fact that the system I live in (which is supposed to be the best ever) goes to such great lengths to distort the truths. I love Russia, it's a great country no better or worse than the one I currently live in realistically. Currently from where I'm standing (at this time) Russia is a lot more respectable citizen of the world.
you are much more ignorant about that corner of the world than you think because a) you thorougly brainwashed into imperial nazi garbage made up mostly of lies and propaganda to legitimate Russian pretences and white wash Russian crimes. b) you were most likely married to an equally damaged person, a product of genocidal assimilation of the people of Belarus or a child of Russian colonizers c) as they say in Russia -you mix up tourism with immigration d) your conspirological midset plays a contrarian trick on you, since you automatically assume that foreign propaganda and mythology is a legitimate alternative pov to whatever 'mainstream' you dislike. And your hatred to Ukraine and Ukrainians is kinda strong as for a brainwashed by Russian propaganda American. Is it something personal?

Old 10-14-2017, 06:47 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:

My second wife was from Gomel Belarus. She came to America in the early 90s. She took care of my company's travel arrangements and I started going to Russia in 1994, regularly until 2008. I know people there and since we raised 2 daughters together one of them has a father in Moscow.

I care little for all the ignorance in the west concerning Russia. Russian people are like anyone else on level playing field and damn better when it comes to weathering hardship and adversity. I also deeply resent the fact that the system I live in (which is supposed to be the best ever) goes to such great lengths to distort the truths. I love Russia, it's a great country no better or worse than the one I currently live in realistically. Currently from where I'm standing (at this time) Russia is a lot more respectable citizen of the world.
That is really interesting, thanks for sharing

Old 10-15-2017, 05:22 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:

I guessed this. Seen this type many times. Usually people who are a bit older and remember the Cold War well, but now disgruntled with the West and especially the US. But instead of drooling towards some rather docile and wealthy country like Denmark or Switzerland, they turn to the Cold War adversary in a black-and-white fashion, where back then the US represented absolute good and the USSR absolute bad, they just reverse the roles so they can continue their LARP (live-action role play).

Another, but much more despicable are the turncoats. Eurocommunists who in the 70's praised communism and absolutely hated the right, has no qualms in now supporting quasi-fascist and crony-capitalist contemporary Russia, because they have to continue to believe the lie that all good comes from the East and all bad from the West. As they have dedicated their whole life to this black-and-white worldview, the basis of their existence would be lost if they give it up.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:35 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,239 times
A little statistics.
About the colonization,the occupation,the terrible Soviet Union, or about the who and why the West supports in Ukraine and not only.In other words what do the Pro-Western policy .So a little bit of letters and numbers in comparison.

Quote:
Electricity. In 1991, the USSR was producing 279 billion kWh In 2016, this figure reached a total of 164.6 billion. The result — a drop of 1.7 times.
The ferrous metals. 1991 — 32.8 million tons. 2016 — 13.3 million. The decline in production in 2.46 times.
The production of ammonia. 1991 — 4642 tons. 2016-the year of 1678 thousand tons. Drop — 2.76 times.
The production of cement. 1991 — 21.7 million tons. 2016-the year of 9 million. Drop — in 2,4 times.
Production of refrigerators. 1991 — 803 thousand. 2016 — 103 thousand. The fall — almost in 8 times.
Fabric. 1991 — 1030 million square meters. 2016 — 91 million. The fall — more than 11 times.
Shoes. 177 million pairs in 1991 and 24.1 million in 2016. Drop — in 7.3 times.
Sausage (which Rukh and other "nezalezhnykh" didn't want to share with Moscow). 1991 — 852 thousand tons. 2016-the year of 239 thousand tons. Drop — in 3.5 times.
Sugar — 4786 thousand tonnes 1997 tonnes. Fall is almost 2.4 times.
Coal production compared to the Soviet times have been 3.26%, steel — 2.44 times, tractors — 66, car — 27, truck 17 times.
The number of cattle decreased from 24623 thousand heads in 1991 to 3750 thousand heads in 2016 — a drop of 6.5 times.
The number of pigs (national gastronomic pride of Ukraine) fell from 19426 thousand heads to 7079 thousand — a drop of 2.7 times.
The number of sheep and goats with a thousand heads to 8418 1325 thousand — a drop of 6.3 times.
In 1990, was commissioned 17447 thousand square meters, in 2016- 9367 thousands. Drop — a drop of nearly 2 times.
In 1990-1991 in the USSR worked 3,9 thousand hospitals. In 2016, there were only 1.7 million Drop — almost 2.3 times.
In 1991 Ukraine was 700 thousand hospital beds. In 2016 and there are only 315 thousand. Drop — in 2.2 times.
In 1991, the USSR worked 21.9 thousand schools. In 2016, they left only 16.9 thousand. Fall is almost 1.3 times.
In 1991, the number of kindergartens was 24.5 million, and in 2016 — 14.9 thousand. The fall — more than 1.6 times.
In 1990 "the totalitarian USSR" was published 170 million books in 2016, the "European Ukraine" — 49 million...
The number of theatres has decreased from 125 to 112 libraries — from 25.6 per thousand to 17 thousand
The legacy of the USSR, Ukraine inherited the world's largest black sea shipping company, yielding a net profit of hundreds of millions of dollars, but in 1990-e years it kicked the bucket...
Almost completely destroyed in Ukraine, which was once one of the world's most powerful shipbuilding (as of 1991, the USSR was one of the few places in the world where aircraft carriers were built), aircraft (with 250 units a year to almost zero), rocket (enterprises of this branch have either closed down or are idle or doing minor utility work for Western corporations).
The only thing that can boast of "independence" is some growth in crop production and related industries. Approximately two times increased in comparison with 1991 production of grain and potatoes, four times — vegetable oil...
The extent of deindustrialization in relative terms, impressive. In 1991, the engineering industry accounted for 33% of industrial production of the USSR, today we are talking about roughly 12%...

Old 10-15-2017, 05:37 AM

Guess the country for photo ..

Old 10-15-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
A little statistics.
About the colonization,the occupation,the terrible Soviet Union, or about the who and why the West supports in Ukraine and not only.In other words what do the Pro-Western policy .So a little bit of letters and numbers in comparison.
Please. After starving millions of Ukrainians peasants in 1930s, executing tens of thousands of Ukrainian intellectuals in the purges and needlessly slaughtering millions more in WWII Soviets (aka Russian empire wrapped in the red flag) were determined to commit fullblown ethnocide by assimilating the survivors as the Russian speaking, cultured biomass working the plants. In many ways it is worse than African style colonization.

Last edited by RememberMee; 10-15-2017 at 07:29 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post

Guess the country for photo ..
These boys will not let themselves to be starved to death, shot in the back of the head, driven on the German machine guns barehanded, beaten, insulted for their language and identity. They will fight back. That's what upsetting you comrade?

Old 10-15-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Please. After starving millions of Ukrainians peasants in 1930s, executing tens of thousands of Ukrainian intellectuals in the purges and needlessly slaughtering millions more in WWII Soviets (aka Russian empire wrapped in the red flag) were determined to commit fullblown ethnocide by assimilating the survivors as the Russian speaking, cultured biomass working the plants. In many ways it is worse than African style colonization.
I like your mention. But alas You have forgotten that in Russia, too, the famine was not only in the USSR.Remember? Or you were not told about this,because so made, taken out of context.. And even modestly silent, who in those years did not sell products of the USSR, in other words satisfied with the food embargo against the background of crop failure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe