Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 06:06 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You know, I won't even argue with that.

But when you need to control someone with the "velvet paws" that "hide sharp claws" ( as the US in this case) - they will do.
They aren't controlling anything. They just want to get the US off it's post Cold War pedestal so that they can become the new superpowers (China is more likely to do so). After that, they will probably end up fighting each other. The Soviets supported Mao's revolution only to see it backfire, after Mao decided he didn't want to follow the Soviet model any longer.
China is considerable larger than Russia in both population and GDP and is quickly catching up on the military front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 06:14 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
They aren't controlling anything. They just want to get the US off it's post Cold War pedestal so that they can become the new superpowers (China is more likely to do so). After that, they will probably end up fighting each other. The Soviets supported Mao's revolution only to see it backfire, after Mao decided he didn't want to follow the Soviet model any longer.
China is considerable larger than Russia in both population and GDP and is quickly catching up on the military front.
Oh but they are.
The way I see it, they push the world ( where the US is trying to take over) to the ultimate last conflict - i.e. the WWIII.
It's going to be either the WWIII and total destruction at the end, or a second coming.
One or the other, but the US won't be able to rule the world - that's the way I see it ( judging by the flow of events)))

Old 04-08-2018, 06:31 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Russia and China fit the textbook definition of thuggish behavior.

Annexation of territory without referendum? Check
Suppression of dissidents? Check
Growing censorship? Check
Mass Murder throughout history? Check
Blaming someone else whenever something goes wrong check? Check

I'd take Uncle Sam ,with all it's problems, any day, drunk or sober.

I would agree that I take, hands down, the US approach in domestic governance (but still hardly a model) even if, I would like to point out that current Russia is way far from what the USSR were and China somehow still is....I would also argue that from an ordinary citizen point of view in everyday life today I do not see major differences between modern day Russia and the US....all it takes is spending some time in Russia to realize that.

Crimea "annexation" followed a referendum as much as you do not like it....that is a fact.

In foreign policy the US is pretty much as thuggish as the other two, actually in many instances even more so....also, world opinion on the subject seems to confirms that.

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-08-2018 at 06:46 PM..

Old 04-08-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:

China and Russia are proposing a much more sensible multipolar world reality (which includes other emerging powers). The US approach resulting from over 20 years of unparalleled power after the fall of the Soviet Union is obsolete...it did inebriate the American foreign policy circles.....time to get away from the punch bowl.
There is nothing wrong with a world where power is more equally shared...

Old 04-08-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh but they are.
The way I see it, they push the world ( where the US is trying to take over) to the ultimate last conflict - i.e. the WWIII.
It's going to be either the WWIII and total destruction at the end, or a second coming.
One or the other, but the US won't be able to rule the world - that's the way I see it ( judging by the flow of events)))
If the US doesn't 'rule the world', someone else will. It's only natural. Humans, and by extension nations, have been trying to get on top of the food chain for ages.

Why do you think WWIII will be the last conflict? This is what Einstein had to say about it.

Quote:
“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.â€
I don't think WWIII will result in human extinction as a number of people seem to believe, but the devastation wrought will be so catastrophic that much of our current knowledge will be lost. This already happened with WWII, but on a smaller scale.

Whatever happens, politicians on both sides of the fence will still find a way to weasel out of trouble. The slithering cycle is bound to continue. Humanity's destructive ways are never going to end, though I firmly believe that the root cause of the problem is: the poisonous soul that shackles mankind to it's primitive urges while being entrenched in the selfish desire for power and the disregard for the vivid and expressive natural order upon which it has built it's house.

To this very day, man spends fortunes building structures in honor of divinity, yet turns a blind eye to the womb, the greatest temple of life.

I'm going to stop waxing philosophy as I'll be derailing the topic at hand once again.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:03 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Quote:
Russia and China fit the textbook definition of thuggish behavior.

Annexation of territory without referendum? Check
Suppression of dissidents? Check
Growing censorship? Check
Mass Murder throughout history? Check
Blaming someone else whenever something goes wrong check? Check

I'd take Uncle Sam ,with all it's problems, any day, drunk or sober.
SOme of your checkmarks are not too accurate. You can take whatever whip you like to your back but for some of us it's a little much to ask. I will never accept might makes right. I will never conform to or approve of behavior that does not enable the progress of all humanity.

You can call check on anything you like but if you have no ability to see the other side of things from another legitmate point of view then you are blind to what humanity needs. America has blundered past opportunities to be part of one of the greatest works humanity has ever seen. Squandered efforts, treasure and potential beyond imagining. Wasted on idiology and naked greed.

You can shrug your shoulders and say "that's just how it is" others refuse to do that. Some take the high road, some stick to the gutters.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
China and Russia are proposing a much more sensible multipolar world reality (which includes other emerging powers). The US approach resulting from over 20 years of unparalleled power after the fall of the Soviet Union is obsolete...it did inebriate the American foreign policy circles.....time to get away from the punch bowl.
There is nothing wrong with a world where power is more equally shared...
From what's been going around I really think there's a type of psychosis when you get to this subject. I kid you not. It seems to go beyond just staying on message and manufacturing situations and incidents. It's got a religious flavor to it.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
From what's been going around I really think there's a type of psychosis when you get to this subject. I kid you not. It seems to go beyond just staying on message and manufacturing situations and incidents. It's got a religious flavor to it.
The real crucial issue in all of this mess is that the USSR, in the good old days, was loathed and vilified (I would say rightly in so in many aspects) but was also feared and somehow respected, the policy of detente.....I do not sense respect or fear from current US policy makers....this is when things can get out of control with catastrophic consequences...I'm afraid that Putin may be forced to teach such policy makers to respect and fear Russia....

I would absolutely love to ask Kissinger his opinion about the US antagonizing Russia and China so harshly at the same time....

Old 04-08-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
The real crucial issue in all of this mess is that the USSR, in the good old days, was loathed and vilified (I would say rightly in so in many aspects) but was also feared and somehow respected.....I do not sense respect or fear from current US policy makers....this is when things can get out of control with catastrophic consequences...i'm afraid that Putin may be forced to teach such policy makers to respect and fear Russia....

I would absolutely love to ask Kissinger his opinion about the US antagonizing Russia and China so harshly at the same time....
That comes down to perspective. There were a lot of people who also admired the USSR due to their dislike of capitalism and say the Soviets as paving the way for the future. I fully understand that viewpoint, as unregulated capitalism can be brutal to those who are not part of the upper echelons of society. The problem is that the USSR butchered the name of communism, to the point that it is now associated with it's repressive policies and forced collectivization, rather than what Marx originally envisaged.

It's interesting that you bring up Kissinger because he wrote a book called Superpowers Don't get to Retire.

The US isn't antagonizing China, unless you're talking about trade wars. The patrols through the South China Sea are international waters that China has no right to. This is no different from the Gulf of Mexico, Indian Ocean and Persian Gulf being international waters and not bound to any nation from which they derive their name.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
The real crucial issue in all of this mess is that the USSR, in the good old days, was loathed and vilified (I would say rightly in so in many aspects) but was also feared and somehow respected, the policy of detente.....I do not sense respect or fear from current US policy makers....this is when things can get out of control with catastrophic consequences...I'm afraid that Putin may be forced to teach such policy makers to respect and fear Russia....

I see fanaticism. I always kind of shrugged it off n the past but not so much anymore. Madeline Allbright was just a fluke to me when I was younger but now that i'm seeing it a second time around in the next generation it seems strange to me, off.

I know people make careers of sowing discord between Russia and others..It's what they do, it's what they're paid to do and it's even a source of livelyhoods but that horse can only go so far in a race unless you take it to another level. There was some Ukrainian politician got pissed off because easter eggs were being made to look at matrioska dolls. Naurt lost it saying America and Russia will never be friends and America will slap Russia when it needs to. Look at what Trump just tweeted about Syria.

That's not diplomacy. That's crazy talk from crazy people. Hysterics not thought rule the day.

Last edited by Scrat335; 04-08-2018 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe