U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-13-2018, 05:45 PM
 
14,938 posts, read 13,495,025 times
Reputation: 6885

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That's not entirely true. I come from a mixed background. One that involves both an Italian and Serbo-Croatian heritage. Just because I myself never lived in Europe doesn't mean I don't have any family members still there, however distant they may be. I have been to both Croatia and Serbia multiple times and am still able to speak and read the language, to a certain extent. My Italian language skills are non-existent however. Most Americans/Canadians came from Europe at the end of the day and many still have ties to the Old World.
Being Canadian doesn't exempt me from that heritage.

You are of "European heritage" - that's understood, but that doesn't make you a European in a practical sense of it - i.e. being savvy in questions we discuss; job market in this case, and its differences with American/Canadian job markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2018, 06:39 PM
 
5,587 posts, read 2,244,631 times
Reputation: 5794
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I am reading, I am looking into it ( since obviously I didn't look into it earlier,) and...



https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/201.../pove-j11.html

I am familiar with Moscow of course, but some of the scenes puzzled me - first I thought it was MOSCOW, but the pics say it's Warsaw actually..?

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/poverty%2Cwarsaw


And in this wiki article on poverty in Poland this is what strikes me, cutting through the rest of clap-trap;

" Overall, families are more dependent on state assistance than before the transition, with family allowance and unemployment benefits being most important in reducing inequality.[26]

There is a widespread perception of widening wealth gap in Poland, although Rutkowski (1998) argues that it has more to do with social structure changes than actual gap in income distribution.[26]"



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_Poland



The "transition" I assume is a post-Soviet one.
So what do I see here?
You are supposedly doing OK as a single person, but once you decide to have children ( god forbids more than one) - you can't have ends meet?
Which it tells me one and one thing only: we want to have you as a WORKER, contributing to the flow of wealth ( in one and one direction only, as I've already said,) but we are not interested in your procreation.
And since money clearly dictate demographic policies, I find it rather peculiar, that the changes orchestrated by the US in the nineties, clearly marked Eastern Europeans for gradual extermination.
Yet at the same time, I see the increasing ( and encouraged by people in power) presence of Middle Easterners and Africans in Europe.
By the way the same trend more or less is happening in the US as well - but may be with a bigger variety of "replacing" material, when it comes to the gradual replacement of *White Americans.*

Things that make you go "hmmm..."
I passed through Warsaw Poland many times. i had to meet containers of equipment shipped from America to Belarus and ensure the contents were in good condition and everything was good. I often spent days in Warsaw and I got out pretty often. The contrasts I saw were to say the least disturbing. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SINGLE MOTHER AND CHILD SLEEPING ON THE STREETS IN RUSSIA.

I have in America and Poland.

I once took the bus across the Vistula from the Central District. Just a short ride away across the river was another world. decay and poverty writ large. I have seen the same elsewhere, in 3rd world countries like Ukraine. I don't know what has happened in the last 10 years but when I was there I was somewhat shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 06:51 PM
 
194 posts, read 50,166 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You are of "European heritage" - that's understood, but that doesn't make you a European in a practical sense of it - i.e. being savvy in questions we discuss; job market in this case, and its differences with American/Canadian job markets.
Erasure!
Of course US and Canada are better for Eastern Europeans to emigrate to and assimilate into.
Even for the simple fact that nobody here gives a damn about what kind of ethnic group "cleans toilets".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 07:22 PM
 
2,665 posts, read 968,714 times
Reputation: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
Erasure!
Of course US and Canada are better for Eastern Europeans to emigrate to and assimilate into.
Even for the simple fact that nobody here gives a damn about what kind of ethnic group "cleans toilets".
That's especially true in Australia. Some people who do cleaning full-time get more than those who do entry level IT work. I know a guy who left his IT job because he was getting less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 07:48 PM
 
14,938 posts, read 13,495,025 times
Reputation: 6885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Arrow View Post
Erasure!
Of course US and Canada are better for Eastern Europeans to emigrate to and assimilate into.
Even for the simple fact that nobody here gives a damn about what kind of ethnic group "cleans toilets".
Nobody "gives a damn" because it's the MONEY ( and labor market) that rule the society.
But in Europe, it's the NATIONAL interests that rule the society, and that's why different ethnic groups end up in different positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,051,535 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Not this again. Don't tell me that you believe that the EU is just another way for Germany to take over Europe after losing two world wars. Germany has done a lot of great things for Europe and has become one of the most prosperous countries in the world as a result.

Considering that both Germany and Japan were on the losing side, they are doing great theses days.

I get the impression that you dislike the EU and want it to break apart so that each country regains it's own currency as well as control of it's own borders.

Milky, calm down....seriously, watch the video, it is truly revealing...is much much more complicated than that....the guy is not a crazy blogger but a highly respected journalist with monumental historical knowledge....

No, I'm not against a European free trade integration project (free circulation of goods, capital and people) as was originally intended the European Economic Community....I'm against a single currency with two countries effectively pulling the strings and an undemocratic political project as the EU morphed into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 08:49 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,051,535 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You are comparing total national GDP instead of per capita. Russia is in 48th place and Poland, 44. It used to be interesting to debate you but lately...

PPP is a good way to close the gap and pretend that the average 600 a month in Moscow is somehow the same (or better LOL) than the average 2000 salary in Warsaw. But it's not. Having a number of billionaires who steal all the national resources isn't really a mark of pride in civilized nations. Even if it does help hide the gap in median household incomes.

The rest of your comparisons don't show things the way you claim either. In no meaningful measurement is your average Russian better off than your average Pole.

I never said your average Russian is much better off than your average Pole.....but the reverse is not true either as you may want to believe....sorry but PPP is the best way to really compare real world economics....I lived in 5 different countries and I travel a lot....My American income in southern Italy where I originally come from would allow me to live literally like a king buying real estate left and right...and we are not talking about a God-forgotten country but a highly developed one with a good standard of living.........PPP is the reason why, despite the nominal figure, Russia is almost a superpower where, let's say, Ireland it is not.

I already mentioned that Russia is a more unequal country compared to Poland so I factored the billionaires in already.

Finally, you have to consider the composition of your GDP and Ireland is, again, a good example....basically a foreign corporations service center and a tech sector tax heaven...the GDP is inflated but very little of it is native Irish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 09:15 PM
DKM
 
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
2,742 posts, read 958,848 times
Reputation: 2717
Wait, you are trying to use PPP but not per capita, but per country? That doesn't even make sense dood. Ireland has a vastly superior standard of living to Russia and yet no Putin to rule over them. There is no superpower status for Russia, a lot of people, land and nukes but it cannot even produce more than even a fraction of the US. You are living in a world you want to belive in that Russia is some super power equal to the West. Its not even close. Russia cannot even give its people protection and property rights which is why we have several million here in the USA and not the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2018, 10:02 PM
 
14,938 posts, read 13,495,025 times
Reputation: 6885
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Wait, you are trying to use PPP but not per capita, but per country? That doesn't even make sense dood. Ireland has a vastly superior standard of living to Russia and yet no Putin to rule over them. There is no superpower status for Russia, a lot of people, land and nukes but it cannot even produce more than even a fraction of the US. You are living in a world you want to belive in that Russia is some super power equal to the West. Its not even close. Russia cannot even give its people protection and property rights which is why we have several million here in the USA and not the other way around.
The problem is, the ones you should fear are those that prefer to remain in Russia; those are the people of convictions))))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Vienna, Austria
481 posts, read 207,874 times
Reputation: 478
Default Juvenile justice is powerful in Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SINGLE MOTHER AND CHILD SLEEPING ON THE STREETS IN RUSSIA
In that case the baby very quick will be taken away and set to a shelter. Totally there are much less tramps in Russia now as it was in the early 2000s for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top