Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 12:15 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
Unfortunately,I think nothing will change in Ukraine after elections. Because and Zelenskiy and Poroshenko and other,IMHO, it is puppets in someone`s wrong hands. And everything will be same.
It could be the beginning of change. Nothing will really happen until the fall elections if parliament is reformed and hopefully the populists and old guard corruptionists are removed. Unlikely to happen though. But maybe. First we have to see Sunday if its really going to be Zelensky vs Poroshenko.

Moscow has already decided to call anyone who wants to further integrate with Europe an American controlled puppet. Of course, further integration means strengthening institutions and reducing corruption. That's about as anti Russian as one can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 12:26 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Unfortunately,I think nothing will change in Ukraine after elections. Because and Zelenskiy and Poroshenko and other,IMHO, it is puppets in someone`s wrong hands. And everything will be same.

Well no, not exactly.

I definitely see the difference between Zelensky and Poroshenko.
This a very good latest interview with him, where he makes certain things more clear.
For example, when asked what's the difference between him and previous presidents ( i.e. where are the guarantees that he won't start steal and plunder as his predecessors did, in spite of all their promises,) he is answering that there are better ways than "Maidan." The first new law he wants to implement as a president, is the law of impeachment of the president, which Ukraine apparently doesn't currently have.

"If you think that I am doing something illegal, bring your accusations forth and start the process of impeachment."

Number two - he is intelligent enough guy, when he is pointing at Donbass and Crimea and saying "things can't change there, until they change in Russia."
Which is very wise indeed ( I was saying all along that the problems of Ukrainian South-East is not in Kiev but in Moscow, since that's where this region is attached to culturally and historically. If Moscow would have had a different government, serving the interests of the NATION first and utmost, not the oligarchy/upper class/corporations, then South - East would have had an option to join Russia as soon as the nationalism of the Western Ukraine raised its ugly head.
Third, Ze talked about the IMF, the loans, the next upcoming hikes of energy bills. He basically asked the IMF reps "Do you really want our people to freeze to death, to go destitute - do you really NEED this constant hike in energy prices?"
The IMF told him that no, the ever increasing energy prices are not the only option to come up with repayment of loans; there are other ways to accomplish it. Ze thinks that serious measures implemented to fight with corruption will bring other options to pay the debt, but I am not convinced that this will solve the problem for a number of reasons.

So my take on Ze in this situation is that his intentions in the role of "servant of the people" are actually sincere.
I respect him for that, particularly that his whole "wealth empire" is built on his own brains and abilities ( he is DEFINITELY a talented actor and manager.)

Not sure what role Kolomoisky the oligarch is playing in this whole situation, but even if he does not play any role as Ze claims, unfortunately I see other, ( more objective) factors that make the strive of Ukrainian state to succeed rather unrealistic.
But that's not because of Ze and what he intends to do, but for different reasons.
So Alec is probably right, talking about bible in this whole situation after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOCS...w&index=2&t=0s

Old 03-25-2019, 01:35 PM

83 posts, read 71,161 times
The logical solution is to join Eurasian Economic Union and ODKB. Also, giving a high degree of autonomy to Western Ukraine wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:35 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post
The logical solution is to join Eurasian Economic Union and ODKB. Also, giving a high degree of autonomy to Western Ukraine wouldn't be a bad idea.
Well both candidates who will advance to the runoff are running on Eurointegration platforms so your desired outcome is unlikely to result from this election. There is nothing "logical" about choosing to integrate into an economic union with poor despotic regimes 10% the size of your current trading partnership.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post

Yes, it's only logical for South-East of Ukraine to join Russia ( and whatever unions it creates,) but the problem is, this region is very blue color and democratic in its essence, whereas Putin's government is very reactionary right-wing kind of government. It doesn't really want to deal with the South-East. ( The "left" opposition to Putin in Russia however would love to give them a hand.) So as I've said earlier - the troubles of Ukrainian South-East go all the way to Moscow, not Kiev.

Western part of Ukraine can do whatever it's pleased - that's the way I see it.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:31 PM

83 posts, read 71,161 times
Let's be real. Ukraine will never joint the EU. There won't be any expansion for many decades. By that time there won't be an EU as we know it. It's logical for Ukraine to join the cultural, linguistic and economic sphere to which it belonged for centuries.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:10 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Well no, not exactly.

I definitely see the difference between Zelensky and Poroshenko.
This a very good latest interview with him, where he makes certain things more clear.
For example, when asked what's the difference between him and previous presidents ( i.e. where are the guarantees that he won't start steal and plunder as his predecessors did, in spite of all their promises,) he is answering that there are better ways than "Maidan." The first new law he wants to implement as a president, is the law of impeachment of the president, which Ukraine apparently doesn't currently have.

"If you think that I am doing something illegal, bring your accusations forth and start the process of impeachment."

Number two - he is intelligent enough guy, when he is pointing at Donbass and Crimea and saying "things can't change there, until they change in Russia."
Which is very wise indeed ( I was saying all along that the problems of Ukrainian South-East is not in Kiev but in Moscow, since that's where this region is attached to culturally and historically. If Moscow would have had a different government, serving the interests of the NATION first and utmost, not the oligarchy/upper class/corporations, then South - East would have had an option to join Russia as soon as the nationalism of the Western Ukraine raised its ugly head.
Third, Ze talked about the IMF, the loans, the next upcoming hikes of energy bills. He basically asked the IMF reps "Do you really want our people to freeze to death, to go destitute - do you really NEED this constant hike in energy prices?"
The IMF told him that no, the ever increasing energy prices are not the only option to come up with repayment of loans; there are other ways to accomplish it. Ze thinks that serious measures implemented to fight with corruption will bring other options to pay the debt, but I am not convinced that this will solve the problem for a number of reasons.

So my take on Ze in this situation is that his intentions in the role of "servant of the people" are actually sincere.
I respect him for that, particularly that his whole "wealth empire" is built on his own brains and abilities ( he is DEFINITELY a talented actor and manager.)

Not sure what role Kolomoisky the oligarch is playing in this whole situation, but even if he does not play any role as Ze claims, unfortunately I see other, ( more objective) factors that make the strive of Ukrainian state to succeed rather unrealistic.
But that's not because of Ze and what he intends to do, but for different reasons.
So Alec is probably right, talking about bible in this whole situation after all.
I agree with you in many ways.
Yes, Ze speaks beautifully and he says what the voter wants to hear from him. But will his words be confirmed by deeds? Not sure. Ze has no political experience, no weight, no authority in the political environment to promote his decisions. Everything will depend on his team and who is behind them. Maybe he is honest guy but honesty in our time is not at honor. Now the priority of politicians lies, cynicism and greed.
Let`s see.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:42 AM

So today is election day in Ukraine.
The scandal ( for Poroshenko) keeps on growing it seems...

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...sidential-race

Old 03-31-2019, 09:34 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
I agree with you in many ways.
Yes, Ze speaks beautifully and he says what the voter wants to hear from him. But will his words be confirmed by deeds? Not sure. Ze has no political experience, no weight, no authority in the political environment to promote his decisions. Everything will depend on his team and who is behind them. Maybe he is honest guy but honesty in our time is not at honor. Now the priority of politicians lies, cynicism and greed.
Let`s see.
Well put. I have not heard the word honor in easily 30 years in America. At least not in a meaningful way that carried weight, as it meant something to anyone. I look at Ukraine politics and suspect it may actually be worse. When one minster makes a speech about how others should refrain from stealing 50% of the monies available to them and only steal 15% some things can be taken as inevitable.

Z isn't going to change anything. If his intentions are good it will come to naught because he will be hamstrung from the moment he takes the oath of office. Peace with Russia? Yuro Boyko had that as part of his platform, some members of the parliament are going to put treason charges against him. Lutsenko is one of them.

Good relations with Russia are the logical way to go. Good mutually beneficial relations. Considering the insanity in Kiev though I seriously doubt that Russia woud ever trust anything or anyone in that climate.

Going forward I think Ukrainians will survive this, in their diaspora at least. What will happen to the country I have no idea. About the only solution I see is to split it into 2 nations, east and west Ukraine right at the Dneipre River.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:36 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
So today is election day in Ukraine.
The scandal ( for Poroshenko) keeps on growing it seems...

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...sidential-race
not a lot of details but it's certainly something that can be done. Khazakhstan emptied whole warehouses of supplies for the DNR/LNR so why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe