Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 08:54 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We already have sanctions of Europe and the USA against the Russian officials today. We already have a list of "victims" - 18 people. Their accounts in banks are blocked.
It is very interesting to me that will be now...
You know I think sanctions are simply a EU/US 'signal' now to Putin..a much different answer to the force used by Putin. Next move is up to him. Is Crimea enoguh now or does he de-escalate tensions?

I think I heard something that Putin is proposing a 'non-aligned' status for the Ukraine? Very interesting. Logical of course under the circumstances with a set of Ukrainian/Russian citizens (apart from Crimea) to move their lot towards the West. But this is after Russia has used military force to 'move' Crimea to a decision which as we see he got. Fascinating strategy I'd say. Let's see how far he will go to get his new 'building' built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 09:05 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What I find odd is that the Ukrainian minority here in Finland has been very vocal during the whole crisis. The Russian minority which is much larger has been completely silent.

I guess they're ashamed.
It is called "apathy", or the fact they do not care because it does not impact them.

I do not see why Ukrainians in Finland or anywhere care so much to be "vocal", if they care so much, go to Ukraine then, everyone hates backseat drivers.

These Ukrainians were in DC being vocal, I just want to ask them if they care so much, why in the heck are they not in Ukraine?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:05 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,974,280 times
How come the sanctions didn't include Putin himself?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:07 AM

435 posts, read 420,425 times
Now we have 60000 soldiers in Ukraine from Russia.
In the Crimea probably it is more than 20000 them them, other forces are concentrated on southeast borders.
It is almost sure that will be farther the southeast in its plans.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
How come the sanctions didn't include Putin himself?
Europe and America didn't apply the sanction against Putin and Lavrov to leave them as intermediaries in negotiations and a crisis de-escalation.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post

These Ukrainians were in DC being vocal, I just want to ask them if they care so much, why in the heck are they not in Ukraine?
And why Russians who so worry and support accession of the Crimea, now aren't in the Crimea? )

But it doesn't mean that people can't support the people without being in conflict epicenter now.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:25 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Ukraine View Post
And why Russians who so worry and support accession of the Crimea, now aren't in the Crimea? )
Because Russia is a party to this, as is Ukraine. However, Finland and the US are not. Why in the world are Ukrainians in other countries being vocal about this event? If they care so much, go back to Ukraine. If they cared so much about Ukraine, they would still live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Ukraine View Post
But it doesn't mean that people can't support the people without being in conflict epicenter now.
They are not supporting, they are advocating intervention by the country they are being vocal in.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
What I find odd is that the Ukrainian minority here in Finland has been very vocal during the whole crisis. The Russian minority which is much larger has been completely silent.

I guess they're ashamed.
Interesting. Perhaps they have too many memories of war and bloodshed there? They know what true peace is and how a society and culture tries to keep it that way. hmmm...come to think of it how would a 'referendum' there go??????

Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 AM

102 posts, read 106,131 times
Congratulations to the Crimea with freedom! East Ukraine welcomes the decision of the Crimea.

Our leaders jailed and threatened with criminal prosecution for thoughts about freedom, but I think people in the East will find a way to defend their rights.

Today, the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry said that Russian is not an indigenous people in Ukraine.
http://mfa.gov.ua/ua/press-center/br...-brifing-v-mzs

We will explain this wiseacre from new-Kiev that they are wrong. And Russia will help us.

Last edited by sw1992; 03-17-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Our leaders jailed and threatened with criminal prosecution for thoughts about freedom, but I think people in the East will find a way to defend their rights.
Yikes...another 'referendum' coming up? The Crimea just had one. Kharkiv, Donetsk, next up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe