Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2014, 08:33 PM

647 posts, read 796,985 times

Advertisements

Latest news:

General mobilization of Ukrainian forces to begin in a matter of hours.

Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine Andriy Parubiy on your page in the social network Facebook wrote that according to the decision of the National Security Council military mobilization happening across Ukraine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 08:46 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonfly View Post
Latest news:

General mobilization of Ukrainian forces to begin in a matter of hours.

Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine Andriy Parubiy on your page in the social network Facebook wrote that according to the decision of the National Security Council military mobilization happening across Ukraine.
There is a captioning in the New York Times I see;

"Ukraine finds its forces are ill equipped to take Crimea from Russia."

Meanwhile, this is what's going on in Crimea;

"SIMFEROPOL, Ukraine — Russian armed forces seized control of Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula on Saturday, as the Russian Parliament granted President Vladimir V. Putin broad authority to use military force in response to the political upheaval in Ukraine that dislodged a Kremlin ally and installed a new, staunchly pro-Western government. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/wo...e/ukraine.html

My question now - what's going on to happen next in Eastern Ukraine?

Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 PM

647 posts, read 796,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
There is a captioning in the New York Times I see;

"Ukraine finds its forces are ill equipped to take Crimea from Russia."

Meanwhile, this is what's going on in Crimea;

"SIMFEROPOL, Ukraine — Russian armed forces seized control of Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula on Saturday, as the Russian Parliament granted President Vladimir V. Putin broad authority to use military force in response to the political upheaval in Ukraine that dislodged a Kremlin ally and installed a new, staunchly pro-Western government. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/wo...e/ukraine.html

My question now - what's going on to happen next in Eastern Ukraine?
Russian pro-govt channels hourly show the riots against Kiev's power in Eastern Ukraine, I think that Putin doesn't exclude using of russian armed forces there, but it will depend of result "Crimean company". Although I still hope that Putin will refuse to use the Russian army in Ukraine at all.

We getting thousands of refugees from Ukraine last time, I can't imagine what will happen after outbreak of the war.

Last edited by bartonfly; 03-01-2014 at 09:13 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Russian pro-govt channels hourly show the riots against Kiev's power in Eastern Ukraine, I think that Putin doesn't exclude using of russian armed forces there, but it will depend of result "Crimean company". Although I still hope that Putin will refuse to use the Russian army in Ukraine at all.

We getting thousands of refugees from Ukraine last time, I can't imagine what will happen after outbreak of the war.
What "last time"?
What exactly are you talking about?

Old 03-01-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Wow. I see what you are saying here.

Митинг Донецк 01,03)))))молодцы ребята! - YouTube

http://rt.com/news/donetsk-kharkov-ukraine-protest-365/

This looks pretty serious.
When I read Western press, it sounds like the "only Russian bastion left" there is Crimea. So I was under the impression that everything was quiet elsewhere. Apparently not so.
But you know, watching what's going on in Donbass, it reminds me of 1917 all over again.
If I were Putin with all his cronies and corporate garbage, I'd steer clear of them.
They come across as very united and very "left" - oriented formidable power; historic industrial base of Eastern Ukraine.
And yes, they clearly want to continue to speak Russian.

I suspect that some European posters here lining up for cheap "qualified Ukrainian labor" will have to wait.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:44 PM

Double wow.
I can't believe it, that I don't see anything in Western media ( that seems to be all concentrated exclusively on events in Crimea) about what's going on elsewhere in Ukraine - namely Kharkov for example.
Apparently the radicals from the "Right sector" group seized the administration building there and from what I hear, the new chief of Ukrainian police gave an order for the policemen to not to interfere with their actions.
This is crazy, but since the police was inactive, the citizens of Kharkov had to get the radicals out of the building themselves.
That's precisely what's captured on this video; the appeal of mayor of Kharkov ( who seems to be very popular in the city) to his people and when the hapless radicals are dragged out of the administration building ( the locals are chanting "fascists, fascists") - there they are, sitting on the ground, surrounded by the locals, who are asking them "who sent you here?" ( at 4.21)
The hapless guys are clearly Western Ukrainians ( they sound different from the locals,) and they are almost crying, being afraid to be mobbed by the crowd. About 90 people(?) have been injured through this whole ordeal, because the police has been given an order to not interfere.

Антимайдан в Харькове устроил самосуд над евромайдановц ами 1 03 2014 - YouTube

Just wow. I am stunned to see it all; this is way beyond any "Putin" - what's taking place there.

Last edited by erasure; 03-01-2014 at 11:54 PM..

Old 03-01-2014, 11:51 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:

Just wow. I am stunned to see it all; this is way beyond any "Putin" - what's taking place there.
Odessa - it is also not the Crimea. But there raised the Russian flag (I gave the video above).

Old 03-02-2014, 12:04 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Odessa - it is also not the Crimea. But there raised the Russian flag (I gave the video above).
Citizens of Mariupol, Lugansk, Donetsk, Kharkov and a few more raised the Russian flag as well.
And Russian flag hoisted on Ukrainian navy flagship "Getman Sagaidachniy" too.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:07 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Double wow.
I can't believe it, that I don't see anything in Western media ( that seems to be all concentrated exclusively on events in Crimea) about what's going on elsewhere in Ukraine - namely Kharkov for example.
Apparently the radicals from the "Right sector" group seized the administration building there and from what I hear, the new chief of Ukrainian police gave an order for the policemen to not to interfere with their actions.
BS. Pro-Russian activists tried to assault the regional administration of Kharkiv and local Maidan activists tried to stop it. It ended up in a fist fight. Only a tiny percentage of the Maidanists are from the Right Sector, and mostly Russian media is trying to label the Maidanists as evil fascists. Yes, the Right Sector is militant, but just a small fraction in the large picture.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:13 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,064 times
I can understand that the Russians want to protect the Crimea region. There is a majority of Russians living there and it used to belong to Russia before 1954.

As for the right wing activists. They just want to gain power. It's naive to think that they want to move closer to Europe.

As for the EU they should think before they act. The whole world can't join the EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe