Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 12:22 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
As for the EU they should think before they act. The whole world can't join the EU.
The whole conflict was never about the Ukraine joining the EU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 12:22 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,702 times
Quote:
As for the right wing activists. They just want to gain power. It's naive to think that they want to move closer to Europe.
No, they don't want to integrate with the EU at all. The ultra-right wing wants to clean Ukraine from its enemies (russians, jews etc.) and then fight with "Russian Empire". That's what the neo-nazi's leader Dmitro Yarosh said.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:24 AM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
BS. Pro-Russian activists tried to assault the regional administration of Kharkiv and local Maidan activists tried to stop it. It ended up in a fist fight. Only a tiny percentage of the Maidanists are from the Right Sector, and mostly Russian media is trying to label the Maidanists as evil fascists. Yes, the Right Sector is militant, but just a small fraction in the large picture.
What "pro-Russian activists tried to assault?" Where?
What I see on this video is a huge crowd attacking administration building, a huge gathering with Russian banners and I hear Kernes ( the mayor of the city) addressing the crowd asking people to not to be provoked before this attack on the building happened.
I am not sure what you are talking about, because these events are captured on this video.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:29 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Why are you talking about the EU? Haven't you noticed that the EU has been very quiet on this matter? The German, French and Polish foreign ministers went earlier to negotiate with Yanukovych, but the EU as an entity has been completely silent.

I'll quote the words the Finnish President said to Putin on phone yesterday: "please don't do anything stupid".

Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I can understand that the Russians want to protect the Crimea region. There is a majority of Russians living there and it used to belong to Russia before 1954.

As for the right wing activists. They just want to gain power. It's naive to think that they want to move closer to Europe.
From what I understand, certain part of nationalists are not interested in "moving closer to Europe," ( the "Right Sector" most likely,) but many other Ukrainians from Central/Western part are genuinely interested in it.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I am not sure what you are talking about, because these events are captured on this video.
It is funny to see that Ariete says what's BS and what's not while he don't speak ukrainian or russian.
He's trying to explain us what is the video all about.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
The whole conflict was never about the Ukraine joining the EU.
OK, "alliance with E.U."
Whatever you call it, but that's what it was all about, initially, the whole conflict.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:34 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
What "pro-Russian activists tried to assault?" Where?
What I see on this video is a huge crowd attacking administration building, a huge gathering with Russian banners and I hear Kernes ( the mayor of the city) addressing the crowd asking people to not to be provoked before this attack on the building happened.
What video?

Old 03-02-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Why are you talking about the EU? Haven't you noticed that the EU has been very quiet on this matter? The German, French and Polish foreign ministers went earlier to negotiate with Yanukovych, but the EU as an entity has been completely silent.
They are quiet now, because they've realized that they've stooped into one big do-doo. They've realized that because of their direct interference they've ended up with financial obligations that they are unable to meet. There is no consensus among them and Poland that has been behind the whole push for Ukraine to be taken out of sphere of Russian influence is now saying "phe" to Ukraine.
With other words, the EU realized by now that it has bit off a piece too big to chew.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/26/wo...aine.html?_r=0

Quote:
I'll quote the words the Finnish President said to Putin on phone yesterday: "please don't do anything stupid".
Right. I'm sure he sounds very important in his own eyes.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:48 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
OK, "alliance with E.U."
Whatever you call it, but that's what it was all about, initially, the whole conflict.
We're talking about a simple FTA. Like we have one with Mexico, Canada or South Africa. Not an all-in military alliance. Seems to be reason enough for Putin to go to war, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe