U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Hong Kong / Vienna
4,557 posts, read 5,105,957 times
Reputation: 3909

Advertisements

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=0

So, I guess Romania is next then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2014, 10:27 AM
 
14,990 posts, read 13,566,272 times
Reputation: 6895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
Comical, I think you're really reaching here. If the U.S. wanted to "invade", they wouldn't do it by renovating schools and hospitals for children in an impoverished country.
And why would the US navy want to renovate "schools and hospitals for children" specifically in Crimea?
Do you see the US Navy renovating "schools and hospitals for children" somewhere in Haiti or Bangladesh?
There are plenty of "impoverished countries" in the world that need this kind of renovation. Why don't the US Navy get busy with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 10:30 AM
 
14,990 posts, read 13,566,272 times
Reputation: 6895
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
"Next" for what?
We know that Romania is already in the EU, but what the specific interests of the US there might or not might be - we can't know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 18,709,534 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"Next" for what?
We know that Romania is already in the EU, but what the specific interests of the US there might or not might be - we can't know for sure.
Probably overthrowing the legal government with a maidan and replacing it with Jews, freemasons, fascists and codreanuists. And then giving 2000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 trillion loans and prosecuting and torturing all who dare speak Russian. And yes to place some missile bases targeted upon Lenin's mausoleum. And yes, the USN building a school in Constanta.

Don't you f**king see how delusional you are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 01:26 PM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,678 posts, read 8,464,941 times
Reputation: 7029
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Do you see the US Navy renovating "schools and hospitals for children" somewhere in Haiti or Bangladesh?
Yes. And I know Marines and Sailors who have participated in missions to build schools, hospitals, community centers, etc in Haiti.

Pages - Seabees, Troops Renovate School in Dominican Republic
Dominican Republic
www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=39367
Dijibouti

Yes, evil American sailors butchering poor African children while glorious Soviets liberate them from fascist American imperialist capitalist pigs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 PM
 
14,990 posts, read 13,566,272 times
Reputation: 6895
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Yes. And I know Marines and Sailors who have participated in missions to build schools, hospitals, community centers, etc in Haiti.

Pages - Seabees, Troops Renovate School in Dominican Republic
Dominican Republic
www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=39367
Dijibouti
So you are talking about the countries where the US either already HAVE a military base

Camp Lemonnier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or where they are planning to build it?

US-Funded Naval Base Stirs Controversy in Dominican Republic - InSight Crime | Organized Crime in the Americas

You are not helping your case. Not helping at all.
In fact now when I think more about it, Russians had all the good reasons to be concerned about that US Navy "tender" in Sebastopol.

Quote:
Yes, evil American sailors butchering poor African children while glorious Soviets liberate them from fascist American imperialist capitalist pigs!
What it has got to do with Soviet times? In Soviet times everything was all good - both powers were counter-balancing each other and it was probably the most peaceful and prosperous period both for Russia and the West alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 07:28 PM
 
14,990 posts, read 13,566,272 times
Reputation: 6895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Probably overthrowing the legal government with a maidan and replacing it with Jews, freemasons, fascists and codreanuists. And then giving 2000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 trillion loans and prosecuting and torturing all who dare speak Russian. And yes to place some missile bases targeted upon Lenin's mausoleum. And yes, the USN building a school in Constanta.

Don't you f**king see how delusional you are?
I didn't think much of it, until I looked into it, and -

Map of U.S. Military bases around the world | Hidden Harmonies China Blog

Tomgram: Chalmers Johnson on garrisoning the planet | TomDispatch

( And what do you know, among other things mentioned in the article -

"Other countries mentioned as sites for what Colin Powell calls our new "family of bases" include: In the impoverished areas of the "new" Europe -- Romania, Poland, and Bulgaria; "

So who would have thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 10:10 PM
 
4,456 posts, read 3,693,892 times
Reputation: 3104
Re: that great American footprint 'round de world'...

Welll you know England once had its Hadrian Wall. China had its Great Wall and I believe there is archaeological evidence of an ancient Dacian Wall. Now in the modern era, it would seem the US has been successful in continuing the concept of 'walls' to intercept encroachment from the East particularly in Europe and almost in Central Europe. Without that presence wouldn't it be not way off to have seen Russia following her historical 'exceptionalism' driving itself all the way west to the Atlantic, to Scandanavia and down to Gibraltar?? We must remember checks and balances. That keeps a modicum of peace and makes one think three times for trying to take advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2014, 11:58 PM
 
14,990 posts, read 13,566,272 times
Reputation: 6895
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: that great American footprint 'round de world'...

Welll you know England once had its Hadrian Wall. China had its Great Wall and I believe there is archaeological evidence of an ancient Dacian Wall. Now in the modern era, it would seem the US has been successful in continuing the concept of 'walls' to intercept encroachment from the East particularly in Europe and almost in Central Europe. Without that presence wouldn't it be not way off to have seen Russia following her historical 'exceptionalism' driving itself all the way west to the Atlantic, to Scandanavia and down to Gibraltar?? We must remember checks and balances. That keeps a modicum of peace and makes one think three times for trying to take advantage.

What "historical exceptionalism?"
What all the way west to the Atlantic ( and the rest)?
What historic period are you talking exactly about?
And the last but not least - where do you see the "encroachment from the East?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2014, 04:29 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
6,567 posts, read 10,637,509 times
Reputation: 5683
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Now in the modern era, it would seem the US has been successful in continuing the concept of 'walls' to intercept encroachment from the East particularly in Europe and almost in Central Europe. Without that presence wouldn't it be not way off to have seen Russia following her historical 'exceptionalism' driving itself all the way west to the Atlantic, to Scandanavia and down to Gibraltar?? We must remember checks and balances. That keeps a modicum of peace and makes one think three times for trying to take advantage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What "historical exceptionalism?"
What all the way west to the Atlantic ( and the rest)?
What historic period are you talking exactly about?
And the last but not least - where do you see the "encroachment from the East?"
Plenty of historical periods, in both directions. How about Justinian's (of blessed memory) invasion of Italy and Spain? The west's conquest of Constantinople.

Many times over, the dividing line that represented the balance of power was somewhere in what we call today the Balkans, both since the time of Constantine's civil wars in the early Fourth Century and again for centuries after the Slavic migrations/invasions, and as recently as the post-WWII period: remember "From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic ..."? The pendulum has been swinging the other way over the past 25 years or so and now the west is encroaching.

A bit too far and certainly too fast for my taste, it risks upsetting the checks and balances of power (well, it's already upset), even and especially within western so-called democracies.

But also from without.

Last edited by bale002; 04-23-2014 at 04:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top